Mazda 3 Oil Filter

Sorry you're quite wrong on all counts, but never mind. A long user time and short posting count indicates someone who reads rather than takes to the keyboard.
You've assumed it's my website too....
Bye bye 👋

Everything I have read and heard has pointed to the Duratec motors as very reliable.

My neighbor has an older Mazda 3 with a Cosworth built engine that he constantly beats on. Chassis has over 300k on it and this is supposedly the original engine that was refreshed at some point by the previous owner. It’s basically bullet proof at this point.

Read here: http://www.duratecnc.co.uk/?p=146

I rebuild these engines for a living, it's a massive problem.
From the link:

"When the engine is idling if you rev the engine gently and it makes a rhythmic knock on the overrun or as its accelerating then 9 times out of 10 it’s been run low on oil, the bearings have made contact with the crank (metal on metal) and this has worn part of the bearing metal away making the clearance too large for oil to fill successfully. So that knocking noise is metal hitting metal."

From the link:

"When the engine is idling if you rev the engine gently and it makes a rhythmic knock on the overrun or as its accelerating then 9 times out of 10 it’s been run low on oil, the bearings have made contact with the crank (metal on metal) and this has worn part of the bearing metal away making the clearance too large for oil to fill successfully. So that knocking noise is metal hitting metal."
Which is if I'm not mistaken entirely user error and in no way a reflection of the quality of the engine or the manufacturer's reputation.

Which is if I'm not mistaken entirely user error and in no way a reflection of the quality of the engine or the manufacturer's reputation.
Of course ... run ANY engine too low on oil and they all will develop mechanical damage and failures at some point.

Everything I have read and heard has pointed to the Duratec motors as very reliable.

That's quality. I've also heard and read a lot about flat earth, aliens, ghosts, God and Jesus, so they must be they real too.
A normal road engine in good working condition doesn't use a sump full of oil between oil change intervals, let alone in a few hundred miles.
If it does its ****ed.
When an engine consumes so much oil it runs out in 1000 miles it's ****ed.
I've opened up over a hundred MZR/Duratec units now and 98% have had the oil control rings gummed up and stuck. The lowest was at 33k miles.

It's like conversing with a bunch of window lickers.

So you opened up an engine that someone never changed the oil on that died at 33,000mi, once again that has nothing to do with a bad engine and everything to do with the car having been owned by a dunce.

When an engine consumes so much oil it runs out in 1000 miles it's ****ed.
I've opened up over a hundred MZR/Duratec units now and 98% have had the oil control rings gummed up and stuck. The lowest was at 33k miles.

It's like conversing with a bunch of window lickers.

Gummed up oil control rings are usually a result of using shabby oil and/or doing too long OCIs.

Any TSBs on these engines about excessive oil burning from a design problem (oil holes for control rings not designed right) like some Toyota 4-cylinders have?

Back