Mazda 3 Oil Filter

Thanks.
I will tell her about this, but she will most likely stay with the FL-400S.
Do you know if anyone here has C&P one of these filters?

Here is a double c&p! You even posted on it!

Here is a double c&p! You even posted on it!

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant a Mazda 3 2.0 factory oil filter.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant a Mazda 3 2.0 factory oil filter.
Search function works good these days.

Search function works good these days.

Sorry, mines broke. :rolleyes:

That link was a Thai Denso. Never a favourite of mine. In fact its the reason I am on this forum. Thai Denso Oil filter NOT working and starving engine.
I hope you can get a Mazda Tokyo Roki filter at the dealer - they highly regarded as a great filter - at least in build and construction.

here is a link to one.

The Duratec/Mazda-L is known for being super easy on oil, any filter will be fine there's not really anything special that needs to be considered, my dad had an Escape with the 2.5L version and it got 7500mi oil changes with the cheapest bulk jobber filters and conventional from Quick Lube places and with 100k on the clock when he turned it in at the termination of his employment with Kellogg's\Keebler there was nothing wrong with the car, he put 100k on it in 2 years, so any decent oil and decent filter will serve you well, if you're still partial to Motorcraft, I guess go with the FL-400, there may even be enough room to fit an FL1A, essentially Motorcraft can be viewed as an OEM filter since these engines were used in both Mazdas and Fords.

It's actually quite the opposite, they have a known problem and quite often use so much oil they run their bottom ends.

Read here: http://www.duratecnc.co.uk/?p=146

I rebuild these engines for a living, it's a massive problem.
So the engine's not the problem, it's a culture problem in the UK that Brits don't know how to check their own oil levels, repeatedly running a car low can result in additional ring wear that makes consumption worse and worse the more times you run it low, in the US duratec/MZR engines don't really consume oil or fail spectacularly, apparently as stupid as Americans are about cars, the average American still has enough sense to pull a dipstick and check it on occasion and knows that a knocking noise is very bad. Plus you said your an Engine builder, on an Island where smaller displacement and smaller cylinder count engines are very popular, "I've seen" is still not evidence of a widespread problem, It's merely confirmation bias. The UOA section on this site has shown time and time again that duratec are very easy on oil, and as the mileage creeps up, maybe a quart every 5000-10000mi is normal consumption. The OP here is clearly a DIY'er that knowns how to check his oil level, so why bring up "I see a lot of these engines that are very popular on the Isle of Britain fail because Europeans and the Brits don't know how to check their own oil."

So the engine's not the problem, it's a culture problem in the UK that Brits don't know how to check their own oil levels, repeatedly running a car low can result in additional ring wear that makes consumption worse and worse the more times you run it low, in the US duratec/MZR engines don't really consume oil or fail spectacularly, apparently as stupid as Americans are about cars, the average American still has enough sense to pull a dipstick and check it on occasion and knows that a knocking noise is very bad. Plus you said your an Engine builder, on an Island where smaller displacement and smaller cylinder count engines are very popular, "I've seen" is still not evidence of a widespread problem, It's merely confirmation bias. The UOA section on this site has shown time and time again that duratec are very easy on oil, and as the mileage creeps up, maybe a quart every 5000-10000mi is normal consumption. The OP here is clearly a DIY'er that knowns how to check his oil level, so why bring up "I see a lot of these engines that are very popular on the Isle of Britain fail because Europeans and the Brits don't know how to check their own oil."
No it's global. Go onto any US Mk3 Miata based page or forum and ask about 'rod knock' as they call it, it's rife.
If you want to get into a debate over the stupidity of Americans then start a thread on it. Although I can see it here, it's off topic really.
It's an engine design problem.
Running an engine low on oil does not effect the rings in anyway as you claim, that's utter garbage.

Better to be thought of as a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt applies here very much.

No it's global. Go onto any US Mk3 Miata based page or forum and ask about 'rod knock' as they call it, it's rife.
If you want to get into a debate over the stupidity of Americans then start a thread on it. Although I can see it here, it's off topic really.
It's an engine design problem.
Running an engine low on oil does not effect the rings in anyway as you claim, that's utter garbage.

Better to be thought of as a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt applies here very much.
It's not a problem and you're just spitting off you own bias as someone that only sees failed engines all day, the 2.0/2.3/2.5 in Ford/Mazda cars are well known for their reliability and being not very hard on oil. The only problem I've seen presented is "I see engines that people have ran low on oil", that's on the owner for not changing the oil, I guess American engine builders that see them don't go online spouting off garbage like this, because American engine builders and Mechanics know that running a car low on oil is almost always the owner's fault, only a European would grow so complacent in blaming manufacturers for everything to misplace the blame. May I add that you have replied to a 6 month old thread and have a very low post count to interject bull crap and link to your website, your intent seems to be to shill your own site not add any thing of value to the conversation that was had here.

Back