Maybe another new vehicle... Passport, CX9, or Forester?

It is brake dust. Had the same thing on our white Pontiac Vibe. The issue is it does not come off the paint easily.

I am just not totally sure if it is the pads or the thin layer of rust on the rotors (that forms when the car sits overnight) flaking off upon braking when using the car the next day.

On the Vibe this did improve a lot when I put on new pads (which were ProACT).
Even on my white Z06 with the OEM metallic pads (TONS of dust) I had no issues with washing the car and removing the dust. That's odd. When's t he last time you waxed it?

Well, maybe not brake dust. I am thinking surface rotor rust debris when it rubs off. There is normal charcoal color brake dust on the wheels (they are black). The salesperson at the dealership said they see that all the time, including on her white car. Said they even see it on non white cars, but less noticeable.

For now we are keeping it. Clayed and waxed it Sunday. Might look at the redesigned Pathfinder when it is out, supposed to be a little bigger.

Well, maybe not brake dust. I am thinking surface rotor rust debris when it rubs off. There is normal charcoal color brake dust on the wheels (they are black). The salesperson at the dealership said they see that all the time, including on her white car. Said they even see it on non white cars, but less noticeable.

For now we are keeping it. Clayed and waxed it Sunday. Might look at the redesigned Pathfinder when it is out, supposed to be a little bigger.
That's odd. All my Akebono equipped vehicles have had as near zero dust as I can imagine something having. Sure, they dust a tiny amount, but compared to my Z06 with those big metallic things that would paint the sides of the car in 20 miles? Didn't even notice on my 370Z.

It's likely a mix of industrial fallout and brake carnage...use an iron remover periodically and apply a good sealant (sounds like you just did) and you should be fine. Drawbacks to every color of car, and this is white's claim to fame.

Back