New family truckster

The 4R is rated to tow 5k and does it quite well IMO.
My sister tows her boat with a 5th gen Limited 4Runner. With the trailer it's right at 5k lbs. She towed the same boat with another 5th gen TRD ORP, and a 3rd gen 4Runner previously. She lives at approx. 5k feet, and usually drives up to a higher elevation to go boating on different reservoirs. She has never had a problem.

Last edited:
My sister tows her boat with a 5th gen Limited 4Runner. With the trailer it's right at 5k lbs. She towed the same boat with another 5th gen TRD ORP, and a 3rd gen 4Runner previously. She lives at approx. 5k feet, and usually drives up to a higher elevation to go boating on different reservoirs. She has never had a problem.

You can have a miserable tow experience-but yet "not have a problem". Nor would she know what a bigger vehicle would tow that boat like.

i have a crew 2500HD ... my towing needs are fully covered and we can take it if we need more luggage capacity ... i do not want any GM 1/2 ton afm junk for sure.

You can have a miserable tow experience-but yet "not have a problem". Nor would she know what a bigger vehicle would tow that boat like.

You sure do assume an awful lot.

I have driven their 4Runner pulling their boat.

There have been a few occasions where a family member of hers (husband or one of her kids) was using their 4Runner, but they still wanted to go boating. We've gone along, and towed their boat with our Diesel Dually, I know, just barely adequate for the job... She also drove the combination. She has also pulled their boat with other trucks (mostly 1/2 tons) and SUV's pulling their boat.

So yes, she does know how different vehicles tow their boat.

Does our Diesel Dually with over 900 lb ft of torque, and weighing nearly 10k itself when the tanks are full, tow easier than any of the other vehicles that have pulled the boat? Probably. Do they or I feel the need for another vehicle when pulling their boat? No.

The 4Runner is adequate for pulling their boat which is within it's rated capacity.

Do you have any quality information to bring us?
Sure...But the Toyota falls short in several key areas valued by today's consumers, and it continues to only grow older in a large, rapidly evolving marketplace where even hardcore off-road competitors like the Bronco and Jeep Wrangler offer better, more modern technologies (although the Toyota did add Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for 2020). It's also pricier than any number of more comfortable mid-size crossover SUVs. These days, the 4Runner is a merely alright choice with narrow appeal, and the TRD Sport doesn't really change that calculus—even if it does look spectacular in Lunar Gray.
source-Motor Trend

Sure...But the Toyota falls short in several key areas valued by today's consumers, and it continues to only grow older in a large, rapidly evolving marketplace where even hardcore off-road competitors like the Bronco and Jeep Wrangler offer better, more modern technologies (although the Toyota did add Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for 2020). It's also pricier than any number of more comfortable mid-size crossover SUVs. These days, the 4Runner is a merely alright choice with narrow appeal, and the TRD Sport doesn't really change that calculus—even if it does look spectacular in Lunar Gray.
source-Motor Trend
I think the 4runner and Tacoma have their market, and those folks don't want a Jeep made by Chrysler/FIAT/Stellantis, or do durability testing for Ford's parts battle of cost vs reliability for their bean counters... And modern tech or ergonomics isn't really a factor either.
They know what they are going to get with a 4runner, and its probably not going to be a nasty surprise on the trail, or at the service dept.
For some people, toyota just sticking with what works is good enough.

I think the 4runner and Tacoma have their market, and those folks don't want a Jeep made by Chrysler/FIAT/Stellantis, or do durability testing for Ford's parts battle of cost vs reliability for their bean counters... And modern tech or ergonomics isn't really a factor either.
They know what they are going to get with a 4runner, and its probably not going to be a nasty surprise on the trail, or at the service dept.
For some people, toyota just sticking with what works is good enough.
That's right. There really aren't that many choices among vehicles that are reasonably capable off-road. The Bronco hasn't been around very long, I had a couple JK wranglers and they were great offroad but had serious quality control issues. Nothing with a unibody is even remotely in consideration, we already have a truck, and I don't want any AFM or GM 1/2 ton IFS either.

You work through all these filters and you wind up at the 4Runner leading the pack. Rugged construction, ready for E-rated LT tires, reasonable wheelbase, and rock-solid reliability. The kids will be a little tight but not any worse than they are in the back of my truck. There are ways to use a trailer, roof rack, or receiver-mounted luggage rack to handle the cargo issue. I understand the drawbacks but for our usage I think the 4Runner is pretty spot-on.

I've had to change a tire 50 miles from the nearest hard road in the middle of the St. Joe National Forest with high winds and freezing rain at 6000 ft. elevation, I want to absolutely minimize the chances of ever having to do that again. The idea of going back into those areas in a crossover SUV with any kind of frequency is preposterous and reflects the ignorance of anyone who would suggest it.

You sure do assume an awful lot.

I have driven their 4Runner pulling their boat.

There have been a few occasions where a family member of hers (husband or one of her kids) was using their 4Runner, but they still wanted to go boating. We've gone along, and towed their boat with our Diesel Dually, I know, just barely adequate for the job... She also drove the combination. She has also pulled their boat with other trucks (mostly 1/2 tons) and SUV's pulling their boat.

So yes, she does know how different vehicles tow their boat.

Does our Diesel Dually with over 900 lb ft of torque, and weighing nearly 10k itself when the tanks are full, tow easier than any of the other vehicles that have pulled the boat? Probably. Do they or I feel the need for another vehicle when pulling their boat? No.

The 4Runner is adequate for pulling their boat which is within it's rated capacity.

I suspect pulling a 4,500 pounds-21 foot (box shaped) travel trailer (like I did) verses a boat like your sister does is the difference. The aerodynamics-hence the challenge made by the wind resistance is what mad my experience miserable.

source-Motor Trend
You’re here to tell us the 4R is old tech? Im glad you’re here to tell us these things. We had no idea.

A 4R can tow more than a Wrangler or Bronco. People who buy either or don’t buy them for their towing capabilities. I’ve towed a 4200 lb pull behind lift and it did just fine. I wouldn’t attempt to haul a 21’ travel trailer with one though. Sounds like user error and/ or that one should’ve bought a full pickup.

The 4R is also the best value amongst the 3, but it’s all personal preference too.

it can carry 5, is great offroad, and has a long history of being very reliable. what other vehicle even meets that description?

it can carry 5, is great offroad, and has a long history of being very reliable. what other vehicle even meets that description?
IMG_4905.jpeg

So what is it that a few of you guys don't understand?

The OP has stated what his wife wants, it suits their needs, and now it's just waiting to get it.

But wait, lets post an aftermarket modified-to-4wd Ford van, as if it's comparable to what the wife wants. That thing is far bigger than a 4Runner which is much more suited to the 4wd trails the OP's family wants to drive.

Hey OP, can I interest you in a 4wd Crew Cab Diesel Dually. It's big, plenty of payload. Just perfect for tight mountain 4wd trails... 😄

The OP has stated what his wife wants, it suits their needs, and now it's just waiting to get it.

But wait, lets post an aftermarket modified-to-4wd Ford van, as if it's comparable to what the wife wants. That thing is far bigger than a 4Runner which is much more suited to the 4wd trails the OP's family wants to drive.

Hey OP, can I interest you in a 4wd Crew Cab Diesel Dually. It's big, plenty of payload. Just perfect for tight mountain 4wd trails... 😄
i mean i already have this ... if they made a 3/4 4x4 van i would have one instead!

Attachments

• IMG_1933.jpeg
    IMG_1933.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 5

Maybe take a break from sniffing your own farts and laugh a little. Is that something you can understand?

Your wife should drive a Forester Wilderness Edition. It would be the only AWD setup I'd trust on a trail. The interior dimensions alone are worth it.

Your wife should drive a Forester Wilderness Edition. It would be the only AWD setup I'd trust on a trail. The interior dimensions alone are worth it.
If gas mileage were a bigger concern, Outback and Forester would be at the top of my list to check out. We just don't drive that much, we can both work from home. I do like the Forester a great deal, if I started a job with a 20 mile commute tomorrow I would trade my 2500HD in for the lowest mileage manual Forester I could find, and I'd do it as soon as possible.

If gas mileage were a bigger concern, Outback and Forester would be at the top of my list to check out. We just don't drive that much, we can both work from home. I do like the Forester a great deal, if I started a job with a 20 mile commute tomorrow I would trade my 2500HD in for the lowest mileage manual Forester I could find, and I'd do it as soon as possible.
That's fair, should just get a jacked up GX460 because as we get older we like comfy seats LOL

Maybe take a break from sniffing your own farts and laugh a little. Is that something you can understand?
:rolleyes:

Yes, because I've always been super serious...

The OP can do whatever he wants. It DID seem he made it pretty clear what his wife's intentions were. So the apparent attempts to change his mind seemed amusing to me.

Back