Renewing passport rant

So I need to renew my passport for August travel. The new normal fee is $130. $60 for expedited. Plus $10 or so to mail your application in via Priority USPS. And $15 for getting an approved photo at a place like CVS.

So the expedited time frame is 7 to 9 weeks. Why??

If I come into this country from Europe they scan my passport at the border in 30 seconds. I assume they look for criminals, terrorists and stolen passports, fake passports etc.

So I mailed in my old passport this past Tue priority. The renewal application is already in their system as I can check and they have cashed my check. Converted it to ACH actually.

So they can check my old passport for the same kind of things they do at the border in 30 seconds. Can look at my new picture and see it's similar to the one in the old passport. Probably check my mailing address with some government agency.

So what takes 7 to 9 weeks. It's not like there is an unusual backlog. This is normal. Hire more people. I just sent you a check for $190.

Now a new passport might take more work. But even that it's not like they send the FBI out to interview everyone you associated with in the past 10 years.

Especially for people born in this country how much checking do they need to do beyond a birth certificate? Maybe check if you have given up your citizenship? That's got to be a pretty short list.

It's the government at work. I was trying to get a federal job and the process took 4 years, test, background check, interview, blah blah..... they finally made an offer after my son was in school and I just bought a house. I said forget it, I was willing to move 4 years ago, not so much now.

But how long did it take ? Maybe it won't take the full 7-9 weeks after all.

Or they could just be understaffed...
Not understaffed when you walk into any Federal building providing any service and 4 out of 5 are walking/sitting around doing nothing, and the few workers are doing everything at a snail pace... yawn

Don't worry. The eastcoast and westcoast DMV takes 1st prize in efficacy, efficiency, and effectiveness. But, your other gov't agencies are learning form the best.

renewyourlicenseregistration.jpg

yourdmvrmv.jpg

Everyone waiting on renewing passports during Covid all can travel now.

The same time processing centers (we have one locally) beg for help….

Record of 22 million issued in 2022 …
I see lots of new ones in the arrival lines too …

FYI, for my original passport and renewal I took the pics at home and printed them on my inkjet printer. There are guidelines on the Department of State website. No need to pay anyone if you have a printer and photo paper.

FYI, for my original passport and renewal I took the pics at home and printed them on my inkjet printer. There are guidelines on the Department of State website. No need to pay anyone if you have a printer and photo paper.

If you are truly in a hurry to get your passport, it can be done, while you wait, in DC.

Same Day service at the State Department. Yes, the expedite fee is part of it, but go have a coffee, come back in a couple hours, and pick it up.
It can be done I believe at many passport centers . I did it in Boston and I know Pease (Portsmouth NH) you can do it.

But you should be able to walk in any county courthouse and get your passport renewed and back to you within a week.

This has been a well known issue unless your living under a rock. Doesn't matter if you are gong to renewal or a first time.

If you are truly in a hurry to get your passport, it can be done, while you wait, in DC.

Same Day service at the State Department. Yes, the expedite fee is part of it, but go have a coffee, come back in a couple hours, and pick it up.

I haven’t gotten an expedited passport [correction] but my wife and child have. And I had to be there for my child’s passport application.

Had to get an appointment at the San Francisco Passport Agency and that was maybe in two days. Then the fastest they could promise was two more days where we could pick it up in person. We needed an itinerary and needed it in time to get a visa. But it was ready by the time they promised.

I’ve heard of same day expedited passports, but I’m not sure how. There are expediters that do that kind of service for a few hundred dollars, but I’m not sure what secrets they have. I’ve read discussions where someone claimed that he needed a passport same day and got it, but I’m not sure how he managed since the State Dept claims that they’ll only do expedited passports at an office with an appointment.

Last edited:
Back