Passport renewal delay

Everywhere in the world people suddenly wake up to expired passport and wants to travel. At least in the US if you really need it with an emergency you can get an appointment by driving FAR away to an in person service center to renew if you can book an appointment within 14 days of travel. I couldn't get it same day even when I call, I got an appointment 3 days before I leave and I still couldn't get my passport within the same day (so I have to come back the next day).

Mailing in a passport renewal is great, but for kids you HAVE TO apply a new one in person which is also impossible these days in a post office.

There is the online renewal now, but it's kind of complicated if there's eligibility (where an adult passport and/or passport card have to either be expired less than 5 years or will expire within a year). Availability of the online renewal platform is off and on when they reach limits. This says it's currently paused.

And "far" is relative. I would think that someone living in San Francisco or near San Francisco wouldn't think it's that far.

Also - there are those private passport expediter services. I don't know how hard it is. When my wife was looking to get a passport quickly, I was chatting with someone at work who dealt with employee travel and she said she could refer me to the company's expediter service. Many claim they can get a passport same day without an appointment. I don't know how they get special access to the Passport Agencies unless they pay some special fee. The coworker was telling me that the service was typically in the hundreds of dollars.

I got mine and it was a total non-event. I gathered up the appropriate paperwork, filled out the form online, took my own photo and had it printed at Walgreens for 29 cents, and took it all to the local library where they did the rest. Sure, it took the usual number of weeks but it required no appointments, no driving great distances, and no waiting in line.

I got mine and it was a total non-event. I gathered up the appropriate paperwork, filled out the form online, took my own photo and had it printed at Walgreens for 29 cents, and took it all to the local library where they did the rest. Sure, it took the usual number of weeks but it required no appointments, no driving great distances, and no waiting in line.
I called out library here in Louisville and they said they do not do it and never had...

That's becoming harder and harder to find now - a place that doesn't require an appointment. There was one place I went to for a family member's initial passport application, and that was well known for being a place that was both open on Saturdays and that didn't require an appointment. There are a vanishing number of locations that don't require an appointment these days.

I called out library here in Louisville and they said they do not do it and never had...

It has to be a library that has chosen to do it. The typical locations are post offices, but not all post offices do it. A place that wants to be considered has to be a nominally public entity. I've heard of the whole gamut including city/county clerk offices, libraries, public university bookstores/gyms, etc.

What is a Passport Acceptance Facility?​

A Passport Acceptance Facility is a public sector office that is designated to accept and execute passport applications on our behalf. Passport Acceptance Facilities verify the information of applicants using Form DS-11, which includes all first-time applicants and all minors. You then send these verified applications to us, and we process the paperwork and issue the passport, if the customer is eligible.​

I entered 40018 into the State Dept's passport acceptance facility locator and the only ones in the city of Louisville were post offices. Strike that. The only one that isn't is at the University of Louisville. And they have a website.

Welcome to the Passport Place at the University of Louisville! The Passport Place is authorized to accept Passport applications from eligible U.S. citizens on behalf of the Department of State.​
Location: The Passport Place is located on the lower level of Jouett Hall (Room LL02) on the campus of the University of Louisville. The University of Louisville is located at 2301 South Third Street, Louisville, KY 40292.​
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm,​
Closed on University Holidays.​
No appointment is needed at this time. The Passport Place is open for walk-in appointments.​

Hmmmm, maybe they don't all do it.

Ours still does (at least according to their website).

A library would have to apply to do it and then be selected. I don't know of any libraries in my area that do it. Mostly post offices, a few city/county clerk offices, and one public university gym.

It has to be a library that has chosen to do it. The typical locations are post offices, but not all post offices do it. A place that wants to be considered has to be a nominally public entity. I've heard of the whole gamut including city/county clerk offices, libraries, public university bookstores/gyms, etc.

What is a Passport Acceptance Facility?​

A Passport Acceptance Facility is a public sector office that is designated to accept and execute passport applications on our behalf. Passport Acceptance Facilities verify the information of applicants using Form DS-11, which includes all first-time applicants and all minors. You then send these verified applications to us, and we process the paperwork and issue the passport, if the customer is eligible.​

I entered 40018 into the State Dept's passport acceptance facility locator and the only ones in the city of Louisville were post offices. Strike that. The only one that isn't is at the University of Louisville. And they have a website.

Welcome to the Passport Place at the University of Louisville! The Passport Place is authorized to accept Passport applications from eligible U.S. citizens on behalf of the Department of State.​
Location: The Passport Place is located on the lower level of Jouett Hall (Room LL02) on the campus of the University of Louisville. The University of Louisville is located at 2301 South Third Street, Louisville, KY 40292.​
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm,​
Closed on University Holidays.​
No appointment is needed at this time. The Passport Place is open for walk-in appointments.​
The form ds 11 is not used for a renewal....It is a ds82

The form ds 11 is not used for a renewal....It is a ds82

DS-82 is the mail-in renewal form. That has to be mailed directly by the applicant.

The DS-11 is for anyone applying in person whether it's first time or a renewal. My kid's expedited passport renewal was using a DS-11. A lot of applicants choose to do it in person rather than a mail-in renewal even though that's an extra $35.

But everything just gets mailed to the regional passport office by each passport acceptance facility.

DS-82 is the mail-in renewal form. That has to be mailed directly by the applicant.

The DS-11 is for anyone applying in person whether it's first time or a renewal. My kid's expedited passport renewal was using a DS-11. A lot of applicants choose to do it in person rather than a mail-in renewal even though that's an extra $35.

But everything just gets mailed to the regional passport office by each passport acceptance facility.
I have to renew next year and after reading about it I think I will do the online form and then mail it in along with my passport and new picture ..

I have to renew next year and after reading about it I think I will do the online form and then mail it in along with my passport and new picture ..

When does it expire? There might be the option of online renewal. The current terms are that one of an adult (10 year) passport card and/or passport book expires in less than a year or is expired less than five years. The advantage would be that they only need an electronic photo (getting it done right can be tricky) and nothing needs to be mailed in, although the previous passport and/or card (if renewed - both don't have to be renewed) gets cancelled automatically if renewed. I expect that eventually they'll allow all renewals to be online. The program is currently on pause, but it looks like they're going forward with a permanent system in a few months.

On March 8, we paused our limited release of the online renewal service, so that we can introduce improvements based on customer feedback.​
  • If you have already applied, you can login to your MyTravelGov account and manage your application. We continue to review and process your application.
  • If you have not submitted an application, your MyTravelGov account will no longer include the option to renew online.
During our limited release, over 500,000 customers volunteered to submit their applications online and test our system. We look forward to launching the enhanced application in a full, nationwide release later this year.​
While you cannot submit an application online now, you can still renew by mail if you are eligible.​

But with the regular DS-82 mail-in renewal the applicant can apply for renewal at any time. Now that they're no longer allowed added pages, some who travel a lot are renewing often. Added pages used to be free, then a nominal charge, but now the only option for someone who travels a lot is the 52 page passport. But the old added pages could get ridiculous.

US-Passports.jpg

When does it expire? There might be the option of online renewal. The current terms are that one of an adult (10 year) passport card and/or passport book expires in less than a year or is expired less than five years. The advantage would be that they only need an electronic photo (getting it done right can be tricky) and nothing needs to be mailed in, although the previous passport and/or card (if renewed - both don't have to be renewed) gets cancelled automatically if renewed. I expect that eventually they'll allow all renewals to be online. The program is currently on pause, but it looks like they're going forward with a permanent system in a few months.

On March 8, we paused our limited release of the online renewal service, so that we can introduce improvements based on customer feedback.​
  • If you have already applied, you can login to your MyTravelGov account and manage your application. We continue to review and process your application.
  • If you have not submitted an application, your MyTravelGov account will no longer include the option to renew online.
During our limited release, over 500,000 customers volunteered to submit their applications online and test our system. We look forward to launching the enhanced application in a full, nationwide release later this year.​
While you cannot submit an application online now, you can still renew by mail if you are eligible.​

But with the regular DS-82 mail-in renewal the applicant can apply for renewal at any time. Now that they're no longer allowed added pages, some who travel a lot are renewing often. Added pages used to be free, then a nominal charge, but now the only option for someone who travels a lot is the 52 page passport. But the old added pages could get ridiculous.

US-Passports.jpg
I will fill the form out online and them mail it in with a check and a new photo along with my passport...will get a tracking number from USPS...I am able to answer yes to the seven questions so I should be fine...

I will fill the form out online and them mail it in with a check and a new photo along with my passport...will get a tracking number from USPS...I am able to answer yes to the seven questions so I should be fine...

The online renewal is pretty nice since there's less worry about losing stuff in the mail, and it saves the expense of going out and getting a paper photo, postage, and an envelope. Also - if a passport and/or passport card is "damaged" (which is subjective) then it's not eligible for mail-in renewal, while with the online renewal they never see the old passport and generally don't care what condition it's in as long as the applicant can provide the passport/card number(s) and expiration dates. While new passports are usually sent by mail unless someone requests express delivery, mailing in the application with the passport is one more thing to go wrong. The disadvantage is that the old passport/card isn't physically cancelled but can't be used for international travel. It might be possible to use a virtually cancelled passport as an ID, but I'm not sure how legal that would be.

But when they restart the online renewal program isn't clear at this point.

Reactions: hrv
Back