Maxlife transmission fluid Relabel?

I wonder if it has to do with Saudi Aramco's recent aquisition of Valvoline Global. I know of some issues with compatibility with certain specs such as Dex6, and had some letters explaining why the fluid met the spec, but never paid much attention to it. I have always had good service out of it, maybe combined mileage between a small fleet of vehicles, 600k.

Also, it would seem that it covers only vehicles before 2006 now as dex6 was introduced in 2006. A recent look states a 5.9 viscosity so at least that meets the dex6 requirements.

I just bought another jug at Walmart but I agree..... miss the days when it was $18/bottle. I've been using it in the Kia Rio transmission which I drain & fill every 10-15K miles and my Ford F-150 transmission gets it too. I drain/fill that one every 25K or thereabouts.

No complaints from me on the performance. The transmissions shift the same as they did before a partial fluid swap and both of them. I wouldn't use it in a CVT. I buy OEM CVT fluid for my one CVT transmission and I plan on changing it soon (51K miles), even though it is a "lifetime" fluid.

I use that Prestone coolant in all my vehicles too and it has never caused me any grief. These automotive applications are all aluminum, cast iron, plastic, and brass and you need something with seal compatibility. It isn't rocket science to get that right and pretty much all manufacturers use the same materials.

I just tried to get some maxlife from AutoZone and they said they were told to pull it off the shelf and not sell any untill further notice...

Anyone heard of this? Nothing on my Google search.
As soon as I saw your post back in May I went down to O'Reileys and the local AutoZone and they said they never heard of any such thing. Both had ample stocks of Valvoline MaxLife ATF.

So unless someone has definitive proof there was an official recall we will close this thread tomorrow.

As soon as I saw your post back in May I went down to O'Reileys and the local AutoZone and they said they never heard of any such thing. Both had ample stocks of Valvoline MaxLife ATF.

So unless someone has definitive proof there was an official recall we will close this thread tomorrow.
Post #59. Recall was probably the wrong word - it was merely a "stop sale" until regulatory-compliant product labeling was available.

Reactions: JTK
OK, I changed the Title to:

Maxlife transmission fluid Relabel?​

since there is a major difference between a Recall and a Relabel.
I believe it has to do with the prop 65 that California makes every manufacturer put on almost every product. If it's not there the state folks have a kiniption.

I wonder if it has to do with Saudi Aramco's recent aquisition of Valvoline Global. I know of some issues with compatibility with certain specs such as Dex6, and had some letters explaining why the fluid met the spec, but never paid much attention to it. I have always had good service out of it, maybe combined mileage between a small fleet of vehicles, 600k.

Also, it would seem that it covers only vehicles before 2006 now as dex6 was introduced in 2006. A recent look states a 5.9 viscosity so at least that meets the dex6 requirements.
Aramco bought Valvoline? Guess I better go drain my transmission.

Aramco bought Valvoline? Guess I better go drain my transmission.
I do not like it, but Valvoline has proven itself to me to be good. I am torn on whether or not I would like to switch. Aramco bought the product line, not the franchise oil change spots.

Back