Maxima VQ 3.5L to M1 Euro 0w40, any concern about the cats?

A quick update:
M1 0w40 is doing nice in the 2 VQs. In the 2011 MPG didn't change a bit and stayed at 21.6mpg (compared to PUP5w30)
In the 2009, it's ever so slightly lower (may be 0.5mpg at most) sitting now at 22.75mpg with same routes and driving pattern (and even maybe more idling and warmup times with the lower temps these days), PUP5w30 gave me 23-24mpg.
All calculations are manual with miles driven divided by gallons pumped at the pump.

A quick update:
M1 0w40 is doing nice in the 2 VQs. In the 2011 MPG didn't change a bit and stayed at 21.6mpg (compared to PUP5w30)
In the 2009, it's ever so slightly lower (may be 0.5mpg at most) sitting now at 22.75mpg with same routes and driving pattern (and even maybe more idling and warmup times with the lower temps these days), PUP5w30 gave me 23-24mpg.
All calculations are manual with miles driven divided by gallons pumped at the pump.
I will sacrifice a few MPG’s for a well running engine. Glad you are doing well with the 0w40, I know my G35 likes it.

M1 0w40 is doing very good in the VQs. One other thing I noticed is I no longer get that 1 second oil light flicker when warm starting at some unlevel surfaces, something I always noticed on PUP5w30

I looked after an '03 1st gen. Murano with the VQ35DE plant under the horse corral. She was an off lease, high mileage beast sold as is and 2nd hand to a close someoneorotherIknow. Anyway, I was stuck with keeping it alive against it's will. MIL was already on for a P0420, gas flap no longer remote released, *ruuuuuuuuuuuuust* all over the hood and roof. The "U" fell off the plastic tailgate so technically, it was a "MrrrrrrrrrANO".

Feh. Fed her Mobil-1 0W-40FS for as long as I was looking sideways at it, stock sized filters too. Figured the slightly tougher specs on the oil would mitigate the supposed primary catalyst meltdown that could lead to ceramic ingestion from the VVT and scoring the cylinder walls into oblivion. Nope, that machine thrived on with a "CHECK ENGINE" light and nearly 190k miles on that JATCO rubber band tranny for another 4 years until 2nd owner sent it in for scrap. Abandoned it when she was sick of looking at it...not when it left her for dead on the side of the road.

If a Nissan throws a secondary or primary bank catalys code, it's not your oil choice over time. Fed and maintained expertly - they will all just toss a primary catalyst code on general principal - Nissan has excellent build and engineering under the hood, don't get me wrong. But their catalysts are made out of spit, chewing gum and a silent prayer to the powers that be in '03 and beyond - in *my* somewhat limited exposure opinion.

Pro Tip: All catalysts, installed in all makes, all model will genuinely and categorically fail in their own due time. How much time is a bit of a lottery past your 80k Mile emissions warranty. ^.^

PS: I'd go as thick and heavy an oil I could get away with in a naturally hot running, high revving Nissan motor that didn't negatively impact economy or performance. Oil cooler or not, admittedly if it's not a Nissan issued street brute, even models equipped with an oil->liquid->air cooling schema still cooks her sump in under 6K. .>...*^.^* But don't take my word for it.

Last edited:
Back