Maxima VQ 3.5L to M1 Euro 0w40, any concern about the cats?

OEM for Nissan 3.7L and smaller is the equivalent of Fram's 6607. On 4.0L VQs and larger - and only trucks, SUVs, etc, I believe - the OEM spec is the equivalent of the 7317. Nowhere does Nissan call out the longer filter for Maximas, G35/37, etc.
Yes. For the Maxima from 2002 to 2020, OEM calls for 15208-65F0E filter (M108 or Fram 6607 are equivalent)
I use 15208-9E01A (M110 or Fram 7317 size).

An oil can only damage the catalytic converter if the engine is consuming a significant amount of oil. Is the vehicle an oil burner? If not then it doesn't make much difference which oil you use.

My old Sienna consumes about a quart every 3000 to 3500 miles. I have been using either Castrol or Mobil 1 0W-40 for about the last six years. It still has the original catalytic converter and I have no codes, so that gives some indication.

How many miles does the sienna have?

Does it emit out a somewhat sulfur smell?

Yes. For the Maxima from 2002 to 2020, OEM calls for 15208-65F0E filter (M108 or Fram 6607 are equivalent)
I use 15208-9E01A (M110 or Fram 7317 size).
I use a Fram FU 7317 as well on my VQ35 but the supposed "add'l oil capacity" amounts to nothing. At best, it allows me to dump the 5-quart jug of oil and the oil level is perfect.

As of today 443,294 miles, and no it does not.

That is hard to believe if it really has original catalytic converters... It should have popped up a catalytic converter code at least once in it's lifetime. Especially since it is an oil burner.

Does your state require emission testing?

My father had a 87 Nissan pickup with 300k+ miles that burned oil like there’s no tomorrow but whenever he went in for the smog test here in California, the numbers were lower than many newer cars on the road. I believe the “you will ruin your cats” myth is unfounded especially for Japanese cars. Japanese engines are legendary. On the other hand, my ‘93 BMW 325i could barely pass smog when I owned it, circa 2011. If I was the OP I would not be worried a bit about 0w-40 ruining the cat.

That is hard to believe if it really has original catalytic converters... It should have popped up a catalytic converter code at least once in it's lifetime. Especially since it is an oil burner.

Does your state require emission testing?
Yes, but not after 20 years. And the converter was welded once to install a new flex section but the catalysts are original.

Where did I say it was an oil burner? One quart per 3500 miles is not an oil burner. In fact that's hardly more than it did when new.

That is hard to believe if it really has original catalytic converters.
I believe if engine has been fed good fuel, fuel/air ratio is correct, no missfire, clean air filter, working spark plugs, no oxygen sensor or MAF issues then catalytic converters have nothing to complain about.

e
Yes, but not after 20 years. And the converter was welded once to install a new flex section but the catalysts are original.

Where did I say it was an oil burner? One quart per 3500 miles is not an oil burner. In fact that's hardly more than it did when new.

Ok sure. It's your vehicle so anything you state you will know better. However, 1 qt per 3500 miles is an oil burner for me. My 06 Accord 4 cyl also burned 1 qt per 3000 miles. It's got original catalytic converter, however I do get the CEL on for P0420. It is also well maintained.

I believe if engine has been fed good fuel, fuel/air ratio is correct, no missfire, clean air filter, working spark plugs, no oxygen sensor or MAF issues then catalytic converters have nothing to complain about.

Yes. However, if it has been burning oil, the oil will degrade the catalytic converter "over time". The vehicle has over 400k. I am sure over the life of the vehicle it should have had a code for catalytic converter efficiency below threshold (P0420 or P0430). Soo many of the 3.0L engines either border line fail or fails for Hydrocarbons on the emission test. It also emits a sulfur like smell. So, the state he is from, state emission testing is not that strict compared to California.

He did a good job maintaining his Sienna, but components overtime will wear down regardless.

Yes. However, if it has been burning oil, the oil will degrade the catalytic converter "over time". The vehicle has over 400k. I am sure over the life of the vehicle it should have had a code for catalytic converter efficiency below threshold (P0420 or P0430). Soo many of the 3.0L engines either border line fail or fails for Hydrocarbons on the emission test. It also emits a sulfur like smell. So, the state he is from, state emission testing is not that strict compared to California.

He did a good job maintaining his Sienna, but components overtime will wear down regardless.
Emissions testing here consists of a code check, not tailpipe sniffing. So it's not any more strict than your criteria of throwing a code.

And yes all the components on this 21 year-old vehicle with over 400K miles are wearing down, that's why we just bought the Tiguan in my signature. However it has by any measure been the lowest cost vehicle I've ever owned, at least for the value. My old ECHO has been cheaper but it's less utilitarian. The Accord at nearly 300k is not far behind.

Emissions testing here consists of a code check, not tailpipe sniffing. So it's not any more strict than your criteria of throwing a code.

My point exaxtly. No tailpipe testing. Testing only codes does not mean much.

And yes all the components on this 21 year-old vehicle with over 400K miles are wearing down, that's why we just bought the Tiguan in my signature. However it has by any measure been the lowest cost vehicle I've ever owned, at least for the value. My old ECHO has been cheaper but it's less utilitarian. The Accord at nearly 300k is not far behind.
If state testing check for OBD then likely you don't have a stored code

My point exaxtly. No tailpipe testing. Testing only codes does not mean much.
Well sure, but that wasn't your point exactly (at least not initially), instead it was "throwing a code" and a sulfur smell. You're free to move the goal post but we all live under whatever it is according to our state of residence.

You keep trying but I'm not sure what the point is any longer.

Well sure, but that wasn't your point exactly (at least not initially), instead it was "throwing a code" and a sulfur smell. You're free to move the goal post but we all live under whatever it is according to our state of residence.

You keep trying but I'm not sure what the point is any longer.

I find it BS, with over 400k miles your catalyst is not failing.

Anyways, carry on.

Anyways, carry on.
Haha, well good for you. If I really cared I'd take a picture for you of the 21 year-old converter and the odometer reading, but I really don't care that much.

Anyways, carry on.

If those cats were legitimately failing or failed.. . It will cause not only a code but eventually misfires so bad it will be a real problem... And kschachn has not had none of that happen yet. Nothing wrong with that.

Back