Maxima 2009, takes long to warm up at 30F, switch to 0w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JoelB
Saying cold start and 30 degrees together makes me chuckle.

I've heard you guys and people in AK go out swimming in the lakes and rivers when it's 30F outside. Fairbanks was -40 a few weeks ago.
shocked2.gif

Glad to see the majority of responses coming from folks with actual experience with "cold" temperatures (50º F ain't cold !!). You know, those folks who think a car can be parked outside overnight in 15-30º F, possibly with rain or snow mixed in, and you get in your car, start it, put on your seat belt, and go ! Yeah, doesn't happen...

Sounds like the car is operating completely normal.

The most idling you should do is when the RPM drops down, that's it. Just go after that. My reasoning is that it is to let the oil circulate a bit, then when the idle drops, it's sufficient for driving and maintaining wear protection.

Just don't be the guy that, on a cold start, starts the car, and goes immediately without waiting 30 seconds, let alone 3 seconds.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Glad to see the majority of responses coming from folks with actual experience with "cold" temperatures (50º F ain't cold !!). You know, those folks who think a car can be parked outside overnight in 15-30º F, possibly with rain or snow mixed in, and you get in your car, start it, put on your seat belt, and go ! Yeah, doesn't happen...

It's gotten down to 40F here in the winter, cold as heck! Even then, at minimum I let the idle drop first.

Last edited:
You should do a grille block. Start by blocking off a portion and go from there. Less cold air flow with the same heat generated will result in faster warm up.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Not sure what you mean by that. It's normally in the 20-30 degree F around here in the winter. Rarely is it in the -1 to -10 range. But when it's that cold, the heated seats still warm up within a minute or two. No heated steering wheel though. If there's snow on the car, I clear it off first before starting the car so I don't end up breathing in a rich exhaust gas mixture til the car warms up. Otherwise if there's no snow on the car, yeah, I start it up and just go. I just give it a light throttle.

Better cold flow properties aren't going to cause an engine to warm up any faster, only prevent wear to parts while it does. If you really need to get the car to temp quicker, an engine block heater or further insulating the engine compartment would pretty much be the only options.

Actually thicker oils both warm up faster and provide better protection at startup due to a higher MOFT. The only thing that thinner oils do is provide better fuel economy.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Actually thicker oils both warm up faster and provide better protection at startup due to a higher MOFT. The only thing that thinner oils do is provide better fuel economy.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back