Maxima 2009, takes long to warm up at 30F, switch to 0w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went from 0w20 to 0w40, it takes the same amount of time to warm up, and my oil doesn't run any hotter according to the gauge on my LCD dash. Warms up a little faster if I use sport mode, which keeps the RPM's in the 1800-2800 range, vs drive which will do ~1200rpm at 60.

The oil isn't going to help the car warm up. Get an oil pan heater and/or a block heater and plug it in. Or consider testing the thermostat, maybe it isn't working properly, opening a little too fast or partially open when cold.

Your car is fine, oil is not going to change the engine temperature and is not going to create more heat vs another oil.

Start the car, let the engine run for 1 to 2 minutes - max, then drive gently for a couple miles, if that make you feel better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mahanddeem
Hello,
I have my Maxima 09 for a year now, it had 80k miles at that time and now sitting at 91K miles. The car, from maintenance records, was meticulously maintained by the original only owner who had it before me (a lady) and had her oil and filter changed around every 4k miles exclusively at a Nissan dealership using conventional Nissan 5w30. When I got it I also had the CVT fluid drain and refill, did a coolant flush at Nissan using the Nissan green coolant 50/50. Car is very well maintained and very clean.

My first oil change 3 months after purchase was with a synthetic Mobil 1 extended performance 5w30 then the last 2 OCI were with Pennzoil UP 5w30 and Nissan oil filters.

Now since it's pretty cold here, morning temperature ranging from 30F to 20F car takes a long time to warm up, car is not kept at a garage, I sit boringly in a cold car for a whole 5 to 8 minutes sometimes waiting for the thing to warm up, sometimes I have to leave faster, and for maybe at least 3 to 4 miles till I see temp gauge in the normal operating position. I try to be very calm with the car til it heats up (which is REAL PITA in morning crazy traffic). Car (engine and/or transmission doesn't feel and sound right until it heats up), I log up real live data from ECU through my OBDII port, once car is warmed up it sits stable at 195F and oil around 180F-190F when fully warmed up and stays there, can not really blame the thermostat for the issue.

Is this normal? should I think about switch to 0w30 oil?

Thanks

Why sit in an idling car waiting for it to warm up? Wait a minute or two and go...

Your car is definitely fine. I work in Northern Maryland and on the 10*-15* mornings leaving work it can take almost 15 minutes to get good heat out of my truck or the VW and those are completely different animals. I've ran a 0wXX in the truck before and noticed no difference at all when I switched back to a 5w30. I never let it idle before leaving; start it up, turn the lights on, seatbelt, and go.

And just to add that, driving the vehicle helps to warm up the engine more quickly than idling in the driveway even though it's cold to sit in while doing so.

Warm-up
Allow the engine to idle for at least 30 seconds
after starting. Do not race the engine
while warming it up. Drive at moderate
speed for a short distance first, especially in
cold weather. In cold weather, keep the engine
running for a minimum of 2 - 3 minutes
before shutting it off. Starting and stopping
the engine over a short period of time may
make the vehicle more difficult to start.

That's what his manual says so I would let it idle 2-3 minutes before driving at or below the freezing mark.

Originally Posted by pandus13
-keep the rpm at 2,500-3,000 for 2-5 minutes or until warm air comes.

That is bad advice. You never rev a cold engine. Engine will warm up much faster while it's driven.

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
Hello,
I have my Maxima 09 for a year now, it had 80k miles at that time and now sitting at 91K miles. ...I sit boringly in a cold car for a whole 5 to 8 minutes sometimes waiting for the thing to warm up,

Is this normal? should I think about switch to 0w30 oil?

Thanks

Easy answer Yes its normal, 0w30 will do NOTHING to help the car warm up or provide better "flow" at even Zero Degrees F.

You should not sit in a car waiting for it to warm up. You get in , start the car. leave the HVAC fan OFF and drive away SLOWLY after about 40 seconds. I have my heater system set to windsheild flow so any little unaided airflow will do some de fogging.

If you need to warm up a car faster - or have it ready to go - get a pan or block heater.installed.

I understand, I once lived in an apartment and I had to get on the highway just a 1/2 mile from my residence.

SO freezing to 65 MPH in 3 min.

Yes the poor car burned oil like a thief at 25K miles. It was a NEW at the time Toyota MR2 5 Speed.

Please know that "0w" in the 30 grade realm just impact pumpability in the -40C/F temp range.

I ain't going out at that temp. Ruins waterpumps and alternators and wheel bearings and axle seals and timing belts and exhaust systems.

Last edited:
Get a remote starter. Press button 10 minutes before you leave and make sure you left the heater on the night before and you're good to go....Ž

Originally Posted by Highboy
Get a remote starter. Press button 10 minutes before you leave and make sure you left the heater on the night before and you're good to go....Ž

This would solve your problem. Works like a charm on my 4Runner. Like Highboy said, make sure the defrost was left on the night before. HA!

Changing oil weight ain't gonna do anything. I would make sure the coolant is full. You could replace thermostat as that would be cheap if you do it yourself. Just make sure you get a
Nissan OEM.

But, what you are describing sounds perfectly normal. All of my cars warm up at different rates. The GX470 is the quickest (my wife's) and the LS400 takes the longest. I'm gonna replace the thermostat in the LS400 the next coolant change as it has never been changed. It may not being fully closing. IDK?

Last edited:

Fuel waster and environmentally BAD BAD BAD.

But the lazy, careless solution. for ME ME ME!

Nothing personal HB - just my general observation of this north american species of "human"

Originally Posted by Gebo

This would solve your problem. Works like a charm on my 4Runner. Like Highboy said, make sure the defrost was left on the night before. HA!

GD this country is getting soft. Heaven forbid we feel a little cold for 5 minutes in the morning.

What's the Difference between sitting in the car or pressing a button and then going to the car. He still letting it warm up.

What's the Difference between sitting in the car or pressing a button and then going to the car. He still letting it warm up.

Nothing. Letting it idle to warm up is the problem. Wasting gas not moving, diluting the oil with a rich fuel mixture among others.

The difference is that he's cold sitting in the car and if you press a button. The car is warm when you get in. Still a waste of fuel both ways. Getting in and driving it will warm it up much faster than waiting at idle and it doesn't waste fuel.

I think the t-stat is slow aka weak.

For replacement, please buy a stealership t-stat for your car, NOT stant from part store.

Seems normal OP.
Get in the car, start the engine, put on your hat, gloves and seatbelt, then drive gently (not sure what you can do with that CVT to keep rpms around 2000 with a light throttle).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back