Mattress shopping .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa... this is really confusing to me, pricing all over the board and then there's traditional coil or foam or both? Looking at a King Size and would like to keep under $1500 with a base...some say foam and the reviews are pretty darn good, with foam looks like I could get this done for a grand. Pro's? Cons? Product recs all welcome.

Here's one I found with great reviews at Home Depot

Cool Gel

I got a foam mattress last summer and it is great.
It is not memory foam, because they sleep a little hot.
They definitely have a different feel than coil spring, much more of a floating feeling.

I bought my King Sized one for about $300 on Amazon and have gotten a full sized one for my daughter for Christmas.

My thought is that I can chuck it every 3 years if necessary and be money ahead.

My daughter raves about her Casper. They have a liberal return policy too, so little risk involved.

I am a top line coil spring buyer (Sealy). Just what I am familiar with, give excellent service, easy to clean.

All I can say is try before you buy. Plenty of mattress shops around here.

We have a all natural latex mattress and that is the best mattress that anyone can own. It has no springs or anything, It's probably about 7-8 years now and I still look forward to my mattress every single day.

Good luck to you. Buying aluminum siding or even a used car might be easier- the mattress industry works extremely hard and well at making comparative shopping near impossible.

If I had to buy a mattress in a single day- I would roll the dice at COSTCO, I have heard some positive comments on Casper. I would shy away from the major mattress store chains that are located in strip malls all over the place.

Originally Posted by GON
Good luck to you. Buying aluminum siding or even a used car might be easier- the mattress industry works extremely hard and well at making comparative shopping near impossible.

If I had to buy a mattress in a single day- I would roll the dice at COSTCO, I have heard some positive comments on Casper. I would shy away from the major mattress store chains that are located in strip malls all over the place.

I couldn't have said this any better

I once bought a $1500 tempurpedic memory foam. Next mattress was $300 from amazon or ebay. Can't tell the difference. Have had it for 3 years now and am very happy.

I prefer latex foam, medium density. They are heavy, damp movement well, don't sag or soften and last a very long time.

I purchased a unicorn from a local "cheap furniture" store. City Furniture had a "Kevin Charles" brand, king size, 100% latex foam mattress for about $700. It's as good as my previous smaller latex mattresses which I still have and which are still excellent. (unfortunately, they no longer sell latex)

My memory foam experience, while initially very comfortable, was a sagging deep hole of worn out garbage in about 2 years. It's good to know that memory foam comes in various qualities and the lower quality foams simply don't last.

Last edited:
You are not alone... i've been thinking about replacing my 15 year old innerspring but having a hard time deciding. I dont like the idea of buying a matress without trying it, although some of the new foam mattress companies have great return guarantees. Lately I've been considering a Sealy hybrid which has good Consumer Reports reviews but need to go try it at a store. Good to hear some here are happy with their foam mattresses.

Memory foam will get hot overnight.
The Casper style bed in a box, and there are many clones, is a nice option. We have one in the camper, very sweet.
We bought Justice for the home, they are holding up well. Heavy things though when it comes to 6 month rotation.

I have 2 mattresses I like. The pure latex bliss for foam style and a charles p rogers coil style.

I really like the latex but it did not fit our new bed frame so I got the above mentioned coil. At first I thought that the coil was to firm, but I have grown to love it. I have major back issues so mattress comfort is very important to me

I went through the mattress research thing about a year and a half ago. If I remember right, I put up a post here about it, and there were already some other mattress threads here, too. Do a search and check out those threads. Might have some info you find useful.

After researching the new memory foam, Purple, and all those, I ended up going with a Simmons Beauty Rest "Callista" Extra-Firm mattress. I've been sleeping on it for about 18 mos. now and love it.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
I went through the mattress research thing about a year and a half ago. If I remember right, I put up a post here about it, and there were already some other mattress threads here, too. Do a search and check out those threads. Might have some info you find useful.

After researching the new memory foam, Purple, and all those, I ended up going with a Simmons Beauty Rest "Callista" Extra-Firm mattress. I've been sleeping on it for about 18 mos. now and love it.

Simmons Beauty Rest is going to be my next mattress. There is an independent sleep shop store next town over from me, and all they sell is beds. They told me their top seller is Beauty Rest. I tried a plush, and I did not want to get up! I tried many others from lots of different retailers, and my wife and I agreed the Beauty Rest was the best.

I guess the encased pocket coils they are using on the Beauty Rest is what makes the difference. Only thing I had a problem with is that it's single sided.

We went thru this before moving in.... innerspring, hybrid, poly foam, memory foam, latex foam. We were close to biting the bullet on a hybrid, but tried a latex foam (talalay) mattress from local manufacturer. It was super supportive, firm, springy, but at the same time conforming. Other places wanted 3k+ for the same type in a king, we got one for $2k.

Best of luck on mattress shopping. It is mostly a scam.

You might want to find a local mattress shop that actually makes their own mattresses, in house.

A good shop will show you the guts, the difference in the guts, and how they actually make them. They will listen and make knowledgeable suggestions.

Since they make their own mattresses, many times they can open it back up, and make changes if need be,

I tend to have a warm "body thermostat". No insulated boots for me and often short sleeves even in winter. Are foam mattresses such as the Casper more "warm" (breathability, etc.) compared to a traditional fabric mattress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back