Mattress shopping .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Costco won't quote non-members on a king size Casper ...i'm not joining for a quote.

Depending on where you are in Wisconsin. I've bought my last two mattresses from Verlo Mattress Factory (which I think are hq'd in Milwaukee). Anyway you just go down to the store and talk to them and they'll customize everything. I wanted firmness, but couldn't see paying extra for a pillow top-- who cares what it looks like? Cheap ticking with a nice mattress underneath and saved quite a few bucks. That was fourteen years ago, and I'm more than overdue for a replacement. This was long before Casper and the other mattresses in a box vendors now on the web, so I'll examine the options. The local Verlo factory is about twenty miles from me and on a side street and I haven't even driven by in years, so it might be gone, but if it's not I'll check with them again. At least when I bought, they only sold two sided mattresses and would give you a pep talk about mattress flipping but I'm old and live alone, so that's getting to be hard with a king sized mattress. Regular flipping and it might still might be as good as noon.

Amazon sells a ton of mattresses. They come in a long box and expand on your bed frame over a day or two. Same as if you bought foam mattress from a B&M store.

My son loves his.

Last edited:
Yep Verlo...I was born and raised my family down state so know the name well...I'm really leaning toward a less expensive gel mattress in a box...it's coming down to the Costco Casper (if I can get a quote) and the Home Depot Cool Gel Ultimate which seems to be a great value (4 layers 122lbs. pillow top) and HD is 20mi. away if I don't like it or have a guest bedroom I could chuck it into if it starts to be bothersome.

Bought a mattress about 2 years ago. Felt great in the store. Brought it home and quickly began realizing it is way too soft with hardly any support.
Laying on it sinks it in pretty deep. Sitting on the edge it will collapse on itself entirely. One of the worst purchases I've made to date.

The mattress stores are high commission and you cannot easily do comparison shopping (on purpose). Both Wirecutter and Consumer Reports have mattress reviews. We have a Leesa foam and like it. We first had it on a box spring but now its on a Leesa platform (replaces box spring) and its better.

You have little to loose by getting one online with long (100 day) return policy. You will never know about a mattress by laying on it for 5 min at a mattress store.

Some of the mattress reviews talk about what kind of sleeper (back or side) you are. Whether you like it soft or firm. I think foam is the future for mattresses.

Sorry to hear, that's what everyone hopes to avoid.

I do sit on the edge to put my shoes on and such for sure.

Check out Menards. I recently got an innerspring, king sized Serta set for about $900 after 11% rebate. Anything around that price at a furniture store felt like junk. I usually can tell a mattress is poor quality when you sit on the edge (like when putting on socks) and the edge of the mattress compresses and crushes almost completely.

They also have foam mattress in a box. Look for a double-decker Menards. They have the biggest in-stock selection and more on display to test.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Walmill
Bought a mattress about 2 years ago. Felt great in the store. Brought it home and quickly began realizing it is way too soft with hardly any support.
Laying on it sinks it in pretty deep. Sitting on the edge it will collapse on itself entirely. One of the worst purchases I've made to date.

Yep. That's why I went with an Extra Firm. Mattresses don't get firmer with use - they get softer.

My Simmons Beautyrest has reinforcement along the edges to prevent collapsing when you sit on the edge.

The independent, pocketed coils of the Beautyrest are also the best for not disturbing the other person if someone shares your bed.

I know you're in WI, but maybe it will help for a data point. I'm mattress shopping myself, and I stuck my head in a Restwell store here. They're a local manufacturer, and their beds are all double sided. I found a wonderful bed there for $600, queen sized non-pillowtop firm. The comfort was second to none, although I'm sleeping on an 8 year old plain jane mattress right now, so my judgement is questionable.

Caspers are very good but there are other mattress companies with the same 100 day warranty and they are priced less. Looked at Casper and went with a Nest Bedding mattress which was about $200 less than Casper as I recall.This was about 4 years ago and we paid about $600 shipped. These foam mattress come in a very small box and I bet the UPS guys hate them as they are probably pretty close to the 75lb weight limit that UPS has. Take it out of the box and it slowly inflates to a queen size or whatever,takes about 10 minutes or so before it reaches full size.

We have tried several and settled on a Tuft and Needle foam mattress. Same warranty and return policy as similar brands but at much lower cost. It does get a little warm over night, but taking off covers as we go has been better than tossing and turning on the previous oillow top. Their pillows beat anything we have had.

Originally Posted by Saul
I once bought a $1500 tempurpedic memory foam. Next mattress was $300 from amazon or ebay. Can't tell the difference. Have had it for 3 years now and am very happy.

Same here.....there is no need to pay exorbitant prices....I bought this one for my daughter and she LOVES it....nice and firm, yet comfortable...I recommended it to a friend who bought it and loves it too:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Best-Cho...ss-w-CertiPUR-US-Certified-Foam/52788168

Consumer reports rated 'the Casper' mattress highest in its test reports @ roughly $1000 for a queen. I'd recommend looking at their report. They rank based on size and type( back, side) of sleeper, durability, firmness etc. The trick is getting a mattress acceptable to both you and your partner. We purchased a Costco Serafina memory foam mattress based on numerical score, but it was too hard for my wife, so we added a soft gel topper.

Also carefully check mattress thickness because your sheets may not fit. Using a platform style bed removes the variable of the foundation too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back