Mass just passed an energy bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forcing utilities to sign long term power supply contracts for wind and solar. 1600mw of offshore wind that doesn't exist yet. That's what? 800 offshore wind turbines?
1200mw of onshore wind and solar.

They almost passed a law that you must have an energy audit to sell your house.

They promised to rachet in more laws next year and every year after that.

We also have some renewable mandatory percentage that increases every year.

Concentrated power is not rendered harmless by the good intentions of those who create it.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
They're all patting themselves on the back because it makes us the most energy green state supposedly.

Yet when they wanted to put windmills in sight of the swimmers Hyannis compound he popped a friggin gasket, "not in my backyard".
The state government is saturated with crooks and hypocrites. Its a scam of some sort like everything else in that state.

They tried wind turbines in Iowa for awhile. I couldn't tell you how many of them I seen going up there for our family reunion. I can tell you with certainty how many of them I seen spinning while I was there tho 0.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Good for them.

Forcing people to buy things that don't even exist yet is always such a good idea.

Took me a sec to understand what's so preposterous about 1.6 watts of power...I think you meant to say MW (megawatt) instead of mW ( milliwatts )
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Yet when they wanted to put windmills in sight of the swimmers Hyannis compound he popped a friggin gasket, "not in my backyard".

Quoted for truth!!!
lol..I was going to mention that.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Fools.

I blame the fool voters. Just look at Ontario, Canada. Our electrical rates have doubled the past 6 years to pay for so called green power.
Smart meters, another mess

They almost passed a law that you must have an energy audit to sell your house.

This nonsense is applied in EU. One must pay 700-1 000 usd to get "energy certificate" to be able to sell his house. From this paper one can find theoretical energy consumption, which has nothing to do with reality.

Utility companies can report actual consumption figures without any cost, that's what buyer wants to know.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
They tried wind turbines in Iowa for awhile. I couldn't tell you how many of them I seen going up there for our family reunion. I can tell you with certainty how many of them I seen spinning while I was there tho 0.

Tried? Iowa has been pretty successful with wind turbines. The states largest power company produces about 47% of our local electricity needs from wind, and with the most recent investments of over 3.5 billion dollars we'll be at about 85% by the end of the decade. That, along with existing capacity, will give Iowa enough capacity to become a net exporter of electricity via the Rock Island Clean Line. Older coal fired plants are being decommissioned in favor of wind power. Another power company also just announced a 1 billion dollar investment in wind energy.

A primary reason why Facebook located its largest data center in Iowa was for access to wind power. They signed an agreement with the Wellsburg wind farm and contracted for 140 megawatts of power-exclusively from wind turbines. They just recently started construction on their third (approx) 500,000 square foot data center in Iowa. Microsoft just announced that it will build its largest data center in the US right here-in part because of reliable and renewable electricity and the ability to contract for wind power.

And in Iowa we also enjoy some of the lowest electrical rates in the country. So yes, we "tried" wind power. But as you failed to notice, we became extremely successful at it.

Forcing utilities to sign long term power supply contracts for wind and solar. 1600mw of offshore wind that doesn't exist yet. That's what? 800 offshore wind turbines?

Offshore wind turbines are much bigger. That would likely be less than 300 turbines.

Originally Posted By: czbrian

Offshore wind turbines are much bigger. That would likely be less than 300 turbines.

Given that they are being forced into contract with a wind turbine farm that doesn't yet exist, the contract should also include the deliver of power FROM the turbines.

What sounds fair ?

1600MW at 90% reliability ?

1440MW all day every day...

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Why would Facebook care where its power comes from to run its operations?..... bragging rights?

Since FB doesn't provide a useful service, it shouldn't use valuable resources. So as long as it's using "free" energy then wasting time there doesn't really hurt anything.

Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back