Mann ML 1006 vs MC 820S in 2008 crown vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always use a MC 820S oil filter on my 2008 Crown Vic. I was thinking of switching to a MANN Ml-1006 for this car.
Do the members here think that quality wise either one has an advantage?

I was doing OCI's at 4-5k a year with 5w20 dino. I was thinking of doing a once a year OCI now. I only drive between 9 and 10 thousand miles a year. 80% stop and go and 20% highway.

I would go to a synthetic for the once a year OCI.
So, do the members think I should stick with the MC or go MANN?

You better stay with a 2x oci with your driving style. Since you in PA, be sure to do one across Winter (late fall through early spring). If you cant manage to do 2x oci per year then .... I havent researched the Mann filters. I know tehy are trying to make market inroads and they are not prob German made - if that's what floats you boat.

The Motorcraft filter is excellent, and a great value. It will do fine with a 5k OCI on conventional, or a 10k OCI with synthetic.

The big question in your case is how far your average trip is, and does the oil get up to operating temperature?

Trip to work is 12 miles one way. First 10 miles is all highway avg speed is between 55mph and 70 mph. Last two miles is all traffic lights and stop and go.

If you don't mind, why are you thinking of switching? Most of the Mann's made in the USA including the ML-1006 in the green and yellow box look to be very similar to a Purolator Classic, and are made in the same factory. That being the case, it would have a nitrile adbv and dome end bypass.

OTOH, the Motorcraft has thread end bypass and silicone adbv, the latter of which is better for extended oci's.

Unless you can find the Mann much cheaper, I'd stick with the Motorcraft. Doubtful that is the case though as the 820-S is ~$4 at Wally.

I was just wondering if the Mann had better filter media for a once a year oil change at 9k-10 k OCI.

I did not know they were made in the USA, I did not know Purolator and the Mann were the same, for this filter. I thought all Mann Filters were made in Germany.
The Motorcraft is a Purolator too. I'll just stick with the Motorcraft.

I like the Mann filters and you can get them cheap online sometimes too (I'm running them now on my Frontier). They are identical to the Purolator Classics.

With Wally's prices on the MC, I would stick with them, but like sayjac said, if you can get the Manns cheaper there is nothing wrong with them!

The ML 1006 is a Puro Classic that has a little green and yellow colors on the sticker.

So all you have to ask yourself is "Would I use a Puro Classic for a 10k OCI?"

If yes, then get it. I personally feel the MotorCraft is better suited for extended OCI's. They are both equally good for short OCI's.

Why not just get the P1 which are on sale for $5.00 now at AAP. They are better than any of the ones you listed. I just picked up 6 for $21.00 online with code VISA.

If you want a very durable filter at a reasonable price try a Mahle filter .

They are all made in Austria or Germany and have some of the most solid construction you'll find on any filter. most are designed for 7500 mi -10000 mi change intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back