2008 P71 Crown Vic Intake Manifold Dilemma

I've called Lakeland, as well as 5 others who all said they can't get one.

Did not try autonation. Calling them now.

UPDATE: Autonation said its a nationwide backorder. No dealer has an ETA. He said the best bet would be to luck out and find a dealer that happened to have one in stock still because they aren't getting any from Ford.
Ok. I wasn't sure which online places you had tried.
I wonder if a dealer can tell you which dealers have one in stock or are they not connected? Perhaps @bdcardinal could help.

Ok. I wasn't sure which online places you had tried.
I wonder if a dealer can tell you which dealers have one in stock or are they not connected? Perhaps @bdcardinal could help.
It's funny you mention that. We have the same train of thought. I contacted a local Ford dealer and they told me they'd check and see what they could do. Of course, they didn't have one and couldn't get one from Ford. I got a call about 20 minutes ago (almost 3 hours after calling them) and they told me they found one at Ourisman Ford of Manassas. I paid a little more than double the price of a Dorman or other aftermarket intake, but it is a Ford OEM part being shipped to me from a Ford dealer.

After tax it was $489.67😐
But hey, they didn't charge me for shipping...

Last edited:
It's funny you mention that. We have the same train of thought. I contacted a local Ford dealer and they told me they'd check and see what they could do. Of course, they didn't have one and couldn't get one from Ford. I got a call about 20 minutes ago (almost 3 hours after calling them) and they told me they found one at Ourisman Ford of Manassas. I paid a little more than double the price of a Dorman or other aftermarket intake, but it is a Ford OEM part being shipped to me from a Ford dealer.

After tax it was $489.67😐
But hey, they didn't charge me for shipping...
Hope it comes and the order doesn't get cancelled :) OEM is best!

Thats great that dealer checked for you and found one. Finding NOS parts that you desperately need is a great feeling.

Oh gotcha. Thanks. I had no idea. I was assuming the modular would also be modular in that capacity. I am too used to my LSx stuff.

Some things will swap. It's more modular that they could swap out components quickly. The 5.4 has a longer deck than a 4.6 so the manifold is wider than a 4.6 engine's ports are.

4.6/5.4 2 valve heads are relatively interchangeable. A NPI 4.6 head from a 4.6 can bolt on a NPI 5.4 even though the 4.6 may be a Romeo engine and the 5.4 is a Windsor. Same with exhaust manifolds, they share a bolt pattern. The PI heads are all interchangeable as well (within reason). Valve covers are different. I was considering putting the non corroded Romeo 4.6 head on my windsor 5.4 to help with the corrosion on the oil passages and exhaust ports and so I wouldn't have to buy a valve cover, but , it too had a broken valve cover.

Stuff like water pump, timing chain tensioner, bracketry , are all the same or similar.

I have a whole fleet of crown vics and make no mistake this is planned obsolescnce at its finest. We are all going to be forced into EV's that cost 80k+ very soon unfortunatley.

Having owned and done many manifold swaps, I would personally swap in a dorman and be done with it. The power difference is not horrible unless you are full throttle all the time. It is more realistically 5HP/10HP loss.

Fuel economy is not affected.

Another option is to source a new used manifold from a grand marquis or town car.

If the Dorman has a lifetime warranty, why not use it? If it fails the replacement is free and it's just the labor.

From research these should last 15 years, 100k miles approx. So you're talking about 1, 2, possibly 3 in the life of a 40 year old car, at most. A 2005 CV with 400,000 miles in 2040, would be on its 2nd replacement (3rd total) when it goes to the junk yard. Not a big deal or expense.

Mine is an 08. I don't trust Ford Parts Giant since I don't think the intake manifold you referenced is Ford OEM. The picture shows it has the o-ring intake gasket like the Dorman manifolds have. Also, the part number I need shows up as discontinued on their site. I've also had ADTR saved ahead of time in my bookmarks for the time when the intake manifold failed, but they are out of stock as well. I like ADTR but I think I'm starting to run into a parts availability and maybe even planned obsolescence issue.

I have thought about a used one from a salvage yard, but I doubt it would be worth the effort, since crown vics tend to have high mileage, high hours, and their age is getting up there. Used OEM plastic would only be a bandaid.

As far as the aluminum, there really arent any new ones out there. The company that was making them went out of business so only used ones are available. At $1000 I could buy another 4.6 and swap it in. So thats a tough justification for me.
Glad you managed to source a replacement, and I certainly see where you're coming from with regards to an all-aluminum replacement. It is quite costly and personally, I'm not a big fan of it either because I think heat soak would be a greater issue with aluminum in comparison to the plastic unit with an aluminum crossover.

While they are still available, I've bought and am buying another OE intake manifold or two for my '01 to keep as NOS. The unit I'm currently running currently has a little under 62,000 miles on it.

That said, for future reference, Ford Parts Giant is a legitimate source of Ford OE parts. I have no affiliation with them whatsoever, but I have been using them for a number of years; their official trade name is Original Parts Source, Inc. and they're based out of South El Monte, CA. I saw that picture of the intake manifold as well; that is just a generic representation. The intake manifold I bought from them last year was a genuine Ford unit.

I've done many of these. Even owned a few myself.

With respect, you're making a bigger deal out of the Dorman than you need to. Yes, if both were available, I would prefer an OE manifold. However, I must admit I've never ever had a problem with any of the aftermarket manifolds I've put on other cars.

If you just can't have aftermarket, a used intake with new gaskets is about all I can think of.

Pic your poison.

Also, I'd like to throw out there that a significant number of leaky manifolds I've removed were a result of flattened gaskets. Not cracked castings. If you do opt for an aftermarket, but want to keep on hand a set of for the oe manifold in case it's what you find with yours, probably wouldn't hurt.

1680830002956.jpg

Theres some Ford dealers that show it in stock on a locator that I use through CDK. Whether they will sell it or not is a different story
While im not fond of the self tapping screws I have used a dozen or so of that intake manifold over the years for cost conscious customers and never had an issue.

Back