Malaysia Airlines 777 loses contact...not found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

I'm not sure why a number of you are so hostile towards exploring the potential situation, perhaps a very rare one, but nevertheless a possibility of having both pilots incapacitated.

As I've said earlier, I agree that landing a big jet would be a long shot, but if I were on that plane I would want to at least make the effort to save myself.

As for the cockpit door being secured, that is true but it isn't impossible to break in if you really want to, this is pretty well known.

I am not hostile to the idea...however, I am opposed to preparing for a situation that has never happened and thus wasting constrained resources on an effort in futility.

I would rather that we, as an industry, and as professionals, use our resources, not on an imagined risk (a Walter-Mitty type fantasy), but on the much greater risks that we face every day: weather, mechanical failure, training shortfalls, fatigue, error management. Those risks have, and continue to, result in fatalities...

Since your hypothetical "both pilots incapacitated" scenario has not, and is incredibly unlikely to, result in fatalities, let's focus on where the return can pay off: the real world.

In the meantime, if both pilots are incapacitated, odds of finding me or 757guy riding in the back are a whole lot better than the odds of anyone being able to learn this skill while doing it. Breaking into the cockpit and touching anything to do with the flight controls or automated systems will ensure that you don't make it, and it will ensure that you take a few hundred people with you by "trying". You don't have the right to decide for them. How would you choose who gets to "try"? Lottery? Volunteer? Loudest?

Best to revive/help the pilots, or find another on board.

This whole discussion reminds me of the car insurance commercial, where the guy is watching the chainsaw juggler, saying, "hey man, give me one, give me one, I got this! I got this!" It's supposed to be funny because it's preposterous...this whole "Let me try to fly an airliner discussion is preposterous...it's not "a long shot"...it's certain failure.

It's as preposterous as a guy showing up in the OR, with a cordless drill, dremel, and exacto knife because the Neurosurgeon has collapsed. "Hey man, I got this! Let me do it! I got this". What makes you think that you can? When you don't know enough about the operation to know just how much you don't know? Think a surgeon on the other end of a cell phone could talk you through the procedure? In a only a limited amount of time? Assuming, of course, that you could 1. dial the cellphone (remember the radio discussion) and 2. a surgeon was available.

You really want to be prepared for the scenario? Go get your commercial and multi-engine licenses. It'll cost you about $100,000, but you'll at least be part way towards an ATP. Then you can get a type rating in a jet, another $20K to $100K, but that training is commercially available. Might not be the right kind of jet, and you have to maintain your proficiency, but you would at least have a chance of flying the airliner in which you find yourself, and it would be your money...so no one would be "hostile" to your training.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: 757guy

People ask me all the time: What's the most dangerous part of your job?

My answer: The drive to work.

Not true. If you eat too many high carb foods for lunch that is the most dangerous part of your day. Heart disease is #1 killer. So going to McDonalds is wayyyy more dangerous than flying in a commercial jetliner.

Wait. They're serving McDonalds in-flight now?

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: 757guy
Trajan said:

Both pilots out. No way into the cockpit. Can't jump out the window since they ain't big enough or open.

So here is the "industry standard".

1: Pray

2: Bend way over.

3: Kiss your butt goodbye

Quote:

The "industry standard" is you will be completely safe.

The odds are so very remote (10 to the -9th or more) that both pilots would be incapacitated. So remote that it has never happened. Think of all the flights every day, year after year, and it has never happened. One pilot may be incapacitated, it happens from time to time, but that's why there are 2 pilots.

You stand a much greater risk of death by driving to work everyday. You are much more likely to win the lottery than die in a plane crash.

You stand a much higher risk being struck by lightning than you do by being in a plane crash.

People ask me all the time: What's the most dangerous part of your job?

My answer: The drive to work.

Not true. If you eat too many high carb foods for lunch that is the most dangerous part of your day. Heart disease is #1 killer. So going to McDonalds is wayyyy more dangerous than flying in a commercial jetliner.

But at McDonalds, the other customers are not acting like they own the place, weave back and forth, flash their eyes at you if you don't eat fast enough, tailgate you, etc.

Far more die on the road than they do in the air.

Originally Posted By: yonyon

McDonald's would be a huge step up from the [censored] that the airline feeds us...I've never gotten food poisoning from McDonald's...but I have from our new catering. We use the lowest cost bidder...they're supposed to put dry ice in with meals that are left overnight to keep them from spoiling...but they frequently don't...

Lowest cost bidder sounds a lot like Aramark. Do they really feed you that kind of garbage? If you're eating that stuff, Doog may well be right about it being more dangerous than your drive in.

Could you convince them to switch to Purina Puppy Chow? It's healther, costs less, and almost fit for human consumption.

Last edited:
Aramark owns the contract for our Denver training center. They do a great job and have a great crew there...I wish it were Aramark...sadly, I don't know, but they've started putting everything on tiny plastic trays that are then cooked in a hot oven...often melting the plastic into the food.

I would rather eat MREs than what we get. Want to talk about a threat to the flying public from pilot incapacitation? Start by fixing airline crew meals!

I'm definitely no expert but I try to apply common sense to the situation. The big thing I have an issue with in regards to where they are currently searching for this plane is the distance it would have had to travel to get there. New information, just released today, indicate the plane flew as low as 12,000 feet for some time as soon as it made that left hand turn all the way out to beyond the Strait of Malacca because of it being an active flight route area. At that altitude, i would imagine it is burning significantly more fuel than it would at 35K feet. I think the only way it made it to where they are presently searching is to fly at 35K+ feet from the time it made that turn. So many of the factors just don't make sense.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
I'm definitely no expert but I try to apply common sense to the situation. The big thing I have an issue with in regards to where they are currently searching for this plane is the distance it would have had to travel to get there. New information, just released today, indicate the plane flew as low as 12,000 feet for some time as soon as it made that left hand turn all the way out to beyond the Strait of Malacca because of it being an active flight route area. At that altitude, i would imagine it is burning significantly more fuel than it would at 35K feet. I think the only way it made it to where they are presently searching is to fly at 35K+ feet from the time it made that turn. So many of the factors just don't make sense.

I just saw that on the news...Malaysia retracted their statement that someone had turned off the ACARS before the left turn...looks like they are back at looking at a mechanical failure now.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I've heard that pilots are not supposed to eat the same meal due to risk of poisoning. Is that true?

Not really...it's pretty often that we both get the dried out remains of some yard bird in a plastic tray...one hopes that we don't get food poisoning from them...I often don't eat our meals...I prefer hunger...or buy something in the terminal...

Astro, I appreciate your posts and info regarding this event. I appreciate the time you take to post this as it educates all of us. I also want to thank you for your military service to our country.

Astro I pack 3 PB and Js. I wrap them in a plastic shopping bag. There's a days worth of calories and some fiber if you use whole grain bread. just toss them in with your stuff. No special care required.

On the most recent account of events, the trip up to 45K feet has now been retracted. There is only one thing I know for sure about this event....the Malaysian Government is completely unfit to lead this investigation. Either something happened or it didn't....and if you are unsure, don't state it as the truth.

On the most recent account of events, the trip up to 45K feet has now been retracted. There is only one thing I know for sure about this event....the Malaysian Government is completely unfit to lead this investigation. Either something happened or it didn't....and if you are unsure, don't state it as the truth.

I personally think they know more than they are leading on and are playing dumb. I think its safe to say a lot more governments know more than they are leading on. I heard France just now said they possibly spotted debris.. Better late than never I suppose.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I personally think they know more than they are leading on and are playing dumb.

Agreed. They're covering something up, either by withholding information or misrepresenting it on purpose.

Astro Thank you for the detailed explanations of what goes on in the cockpit and the systems used to keep the plane in flight and contact.

After seeing the cockpit of a DC10 years ago i cant imagine anyone flying that without extensive knowledge and years of training.
The instruments and switch panels are just overwhelming and from your descriptions operating even the most basic things would be well beyond anything that could be put on some sort of cheat sheet.

Every time i fly i hope the pilot is an ex military pilot, i feel if this guy could get through all that there is a real pilot up there that knows what enormous stress is and has proven he can handle it. It really instills confidence.
Thanks again.

BTW i had an uncle who i never knew he was shot down and died in the war but he flew ME109 and later FW 190 fighters, they say he had nerves like an iron bar.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Astro Thank you for the detailed explanations of what goes on in the cockpit and the systems used to keep the plane in flight and contact.

+10000

The best insight I've read in years on here is not related to oil, but actually Astro's posts about flying.

The only thing I don't think I learned from him in this area is if he was top gun... Which I assume to be the case if for no other reason than my imagination.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I personally think they know more than they are leading on and are playing dumb.

Agreed. They're covering something up, either by withholding information or misrepresenting it on purpose.

I've been saying this since the very first page or two of posts here...

The latest mass media "programming" for the public sheeple is that the plane is in Pakistan. LOL

Maybe at some point one of the gov't tools will slip up and admit the truth like Rummy the Dummy did about UAL 93 back on 9/11.

I still think one scenario is that this current event will somehow be used by the Project For A New American Century, and Israel to use Al CiaDuh proxy's like former Osama Bin Laden (CIA asset Tim Osmond) to perpetrate another 9/11 somewhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

I'm not sure why a number of you are so hostile towards exploring the potential situation, perhaps a very rare one, but nevertheless a possibility of having both pilots incapacitated.

As I've said earlier, I agree that landing a big jet would be a long shot, but if I were on that plane I would want to at least make the effort to save myself.

As for the cockpit door being secured, that is true but it isn't impossible to break in if you really want to, this is pretty well known.

I am not hostile to the idea...however, I am opposed to preparing for a situation that has never happened and thus wasting constrained resources on an effort in futility.

I would rather that we, as an industry, and as professionals, use our resources, not on an imagined risk (a Walter-Mitty type fantasy), but on the much greater risks that we face every day: weather, mechanical failure, training shortfalls, fatigue, error management. Those risks have, and continue to, result in fatalities...

Since your hypothetical "both pilots incapacitated" scenario has not, and is incredibly unlikely to, result in fatalities, let's focus on where the return can pay off: the real world.

In the meantime, if both pilots are incapacitated, odds of finding me or 757guy riding in the back are a whole lot better than the odds of anyone being able to learn this skill while doing it. Breaking into the cockpit and touching anything to do with the flight controls or automated systems will ensure that you don't make it, and it will ensure that you take a few hundred people with you by "trying". You don't have the right to decide for them. How would you choose who gets to "try"? Lottery? Volunteer? Loudest?

Best to revive/help the pilots, or find another on board.

This whole discussion reminds me of the car insurance commercial, where the guy is watching the chainsaw juggler, saying, "hey man, give me one, give me one, I got this! I got this!" It's supposed to be funny because it's preposterous...this whole "Let me try to fly an airliner discussion is preposterous...it's not "a long shot"...it's certain failure.

It's as preposterous as a guy showing up in the OR, with a cordless drill, dremel, and exacto knife because the Neurosurgeon has collapsed. "Hey man, I got this! Let me do it! I got this". What makes you think that you can? When you don't know enough about the operation to know just how much you don't know? Think a surgeon on the other end of a cell phone could talk you through the procedure? In a only a limited amount of time? Assuming, of course, that you could 1. dial the cellphone (remember the radio discussion) and 2. a surgeon was available.

You really want to be prepared for the scenario? Go get your commercial and multi-engine licenses. It'll cost you about $100,000, but you'll at least be part way towards an ATP. Then you can get a type rating in a jet, another $20K to $100K, but that training is commercially available. Might not be the right kind of jet, and you have to maintain your proficiency, but you would at least have a chance of flying the airliner in which you find yourself, and it would be your money...so no one would be "hostile" to your training.

You sure do go out of your way to make it look like flying a twinjet is like neurosurgery. I don't quite think so, Iceman.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: yonyon

McDonald's would be a huge step up from the [censored] that the airline feeds us...I've never gotten food poisoning from McDonald's...but I have from our new catering. We use the lowest cost bidder...they're supposed to put dry ice in with meals that are left overnight to keep them from spoiling...but they frequently don't...

Tired of Gategourmet? lol. They are hugely different from airport to airport, country to country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back