Malaysia Airlines 777 loses contact...not found

Status
Not open for further replies.
but did they check the Andy-man islands yet?

Andy+Richter+Madagascar+3+Europe+Most+Wanted+G3Dd-tuXxEll.jpg

I think they are going to find that plane where the NTSB suggested they look in the South Indian Ocean...now I wonder how those black boxes work? Will they show what happened shortly after takeoff? do they rewind after only one hour of record time and that would make sense "most" of the time but definitely not in this case.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
I think they are going to find that plane where the NTSB suggested they look in the South Indian Ocean...now I wonder how those black boxes work? Will they show what happened shortly after takeoff? do they rewind after only one hour of record time and that would make sense "most" of the time but definitely not in this case.

I believe the voice recorder records the last 2 hours of cockpit noise, but the flight data recorder should record over 24 hours of the airplanes actions (but no voices). So we'll know what the plane did the whole flight, but we probably won't know what the pilot(s) (or alien zombie highjackers) were saying when they initially steered way off course and shut down the ACARS and transponder.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Here's an oddball question for Astro: could a windshield have failed?

There are no birds at 30,000 ft.

Yeah, but there are aliens.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Here's an oddball question for Astro: could a windshield have failed?

Not impossible, but extremely unlikely. Windshields are laminated multiple layer lexan/plexiglass/glass (I don't know exactly) and they tend to delaminate first and get replaced. I haven't heard of a windshield failure in decades...not on an airliner...

So, "emergency computer controls"...???

I have no idea what is meant by this.. None... if the autopilot is on, it will follow the last command from the crew (think Payne Stewart). That might be manual heading control, or it might be the route of flight in the FMC, depending on what the crew told it to do via the Mode Control Panel (autopilot/flight director controls...manual hard-wired switches that allow the pilots to change course, speed, altitude...when the autopilot is off, the MCP is responsible for flight director guidance).

There's no magic computer that takes over and flies the airplane. (that's why you can't hack an airplane...and that's a good thing). If the crew is disabled, the airplane will fly what it was last told to do. If the autopilot was off and the crew was disabled, it will fly the pitch, power and trim...that might be level flight, might not, and it will get bumped into a roll, and start turning...to eventually crash...

Catastrophic loss of a windshield would be hard, but the person on the other side of the cockpit might able to fly the airplane. 500 MPH wind after explosive decompression would make this exceedingly difficult, but a friend of mine flew an F/A-18 without a canopy after a mid-air collision that happened at 400 Knots...wasn't easy though...particularly since he lost all instruments as well...but that's another story for another day.

As far as someone with no training flying the airplane? Very unlikely. With an instructor on the ground, and good radio communication, they might be talked into turning on autopilot, and getting the airplane to fly an automatic landing...but that person would have to know how to operate the radios to make that happen...and over the ocean? There's no one to talk to at the LDOC that has the detailed knowledge to talk you through how fly the jet.

Sorry, put away your Walter Mitty fantasies...unless you've flown a complex jet airplane, there are simply so many things to manage that it's almost impossible.

How do I know this? United was selling simulator time to anyone who wanted to try flying a 747 (or 777). This was before 9-11...now, such people are suspect... I had several groups, who paid $1,500 to fly the sim for 2 hours. Good deal for a $15 million piece of equipment. Without a basic understanding of how to fly, how to program the FMC to tune the navaids and how to change the radios, these folks were barely able to keep the jet right side up. The complexities of when to select flaps, what setting, descent rates, navigation, intercepting a final approach, were all completely beyond them...I was able to talk them through some aspects, like "roll right, pull back a bit" and "you see that thing that looks like a wheel? Pull it towards you and push it down", "lift up and move that big lever near your left leg to the slot that says 1"...but to do that from the ground would be incredibly difficult.

Give me a pilot with some jet time, or who has flown with an FMC, and I could talk him through reference speed calculation, FMC programming, radio tuning, etc...but we would have to be in radio comms first...and that alone is unlikely...

As far as the book? Sure, it's on every airplane...but it's written for pilots. Like reading a book on open-heart surgery written for doctors, there will be terms and concepts that you're expected to already know from medical school. Without medical school, the surgery book is incomprehensible. The information for this particular plane would be there...but without that basic airline pilot experience, it wouldn't be of any use...it might as well be written in an alien language.

Besides, that's why there are always two pilots. We back each other up, but the truth is that pilot incapacitation happens every so often. We're redundant components...each one of us can fly the airplane without aid...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Thank goodness we can rule out a small blackhole in the disappearance of MH370. CNN's coverage of this tragedy is...........a tragedy.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-don-lemo...-to-go-missing/

Umm...yeah...not even going to comment on that one...except that a basic understanding of physics is not common, certainly not among the members of the media...

@Astro14:

Were you ever a commercial pilot? I have not followed all of your posts but you seem to have a pretty good grasp of the industry.

Again, although it would be "fantasy" to expect a untrained lay person to fly the plane with out probably crashing.

You never addressed my question of what the "industry protocol" is for a scenario where both pilots are either deceased or totally incapacitated and only the untrained flight staff and or passengers are available to pilot the p[lane.

You mention that the official flight manual on board is designed only for professionally trained pilots, yet the possibility is there that there may be an occasion where they are not able and radio contact is impossible. I'm almost surprised that there isn't a "cheat sheet" that could be used by untrained persons in the event of an emergency. I know a modern airliner is extremely complex but there must be a way to make it at least possible for a person in an emergency to at least fly the plane and maybe land it (likely crash landing) so there there is some chance some passengers might survive.

@Astro14:

Were you ever a commercial pilot? I have not followed all of your posts but you seem to have a pretty good grasp of the industry.

Again, although it would be "fantasy" to expect a untrained lay person to fly the plane with out probably crashing.......

....you never addressed my question of what the "industry protocol" is for a scenario where both pilots are either deceased or totally incapacitated and only the untrained flight staff and or passengers are available to pilot the p[lane.

You mention that the official flight manual on board is designed only for professionally trained pilots, yet the possibility is there that there may be an occasion where BOTH pilots are incapacitated, and radio contact is impossible.

I'm almost surprised that there isn't a "cheat sheet" that could be used by untrained persons in the event of an emergency. I know a modern airliner is extremely complex but there must be a way to make it at least possible for a person in an emergency to at least fly the plane (activate or control the autopilot) and maybe land it via auto landing program (likely crash landing) so there there is some chance some passengers might survive.

Surely that is not "fantasy" to those passengers on such a potential flight?

Last edited:
One could, I don't know, look at Astro14's profile for the answer as to what he does. Just saying.

Crazy that my original thought of needing to wait at least 48 hours before we had a good grasp on what happened here was not even close. Hard to believe in this day and age.

I still stand by the fact that most everything being put out there is still pure speculation, and we aren't going to ever know much unless the flight data recorder is ever found. I'll be surprised if the cockpit voice recorder says much since it only records the last two hours.

Thinking this story has brought out a lot of the worst in the 24 hour news cycle and instant information needs.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
One could, I don't know, look at Astro14's profile for the answer as to what he does. Just saying.

Thing is that most profiles on BITOG are blank. Just sayin
crackmeup2.gif
28.gif

I looked at his profile and it mentions Navy Officer, and Pilot both seem to be exclusive as he has them listed, so I'm guessing that he was/is NOT a Navy pilot , or a commercial pilot. Just a private, small craft pilot.

I try to take people by their word if I can. Obviously anybody can put down a fake occupation or list fake credentials on the internet. But also a lot of people are careful on the internet (a good idea today) and don't want to reveal too much about themselves. Astro14 says that he is an airline pilot so my instinct is to take somebody by their word and I assume he is an airline pilot.

Usually if somebody is being dishonest about themselves it will become obvious soon enough. You find out that the guy who calls himself a scientist is actually a student at a college and the guy who claims to be an economist is Googling for information to try to make it seem he really is an economist.

I don't reveal very much of myself on the internet. It is safer that way. But on the other hand I am not going to present some fake front either. That is not the way I was taught. A lot of people today seem to be able to lie easily but that is not me. I have to face myself in the mirror. And I have a sense of right and wrong. I guess a lot of people today are not taught that way. That was the old way and I will live that way.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
@Astro14:

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I fly an airbus, though I am a Boeing fan. Both companies build good airplanes and while my Boeing preference is clear, I wouldn't hesitate to get on an Airbus. After all, I do I every day at work!

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I am an airline pilot with an ATP and I am type-rated, and have instructor experience, in the 747-400, a jet that has a similar flight management system to the 777, along with a couple more engines. I have additional type-ratings in the B-757/767 and A-320 in addition to my military quals in various airplanes.

Last edited:

crackmeup2.gif
28.gif

I looked at his profile and it mentions Navy Officer, and Pilot both seem to be exclusive as he has them listed, so I'm guessing that he was/is NOT a Navy pilot , or a commercial pilot. Just a private, small craft pilot.

He flew the f-14 tomcat. IMHO the best looking, coolest long range navy fighter!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3

crackmeup2.gif
28.gif

He flew the f-14 tomcat. IMHO the best looking, coolest long range navy fighter!!!

I think he can be in the Reserves and still be an airline pilot.

But never let facts and common sense get in the way of a conspiracy theory
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trajan

But never let facts and common sense get in the way of a conspiracy theory
smile.gif

Of course the facts and conspiracies are mutually exclusive?
Who'd have thunk it?
20.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Since Astro is the only sane person here who has not advocated off the wall theories on the MH370 disappearance, I am suspecting he is indeed a commercial airline pilot. Rest of us are blowing up smoke.

I'm still hoping that Astro14 answers my query here:

@Astro14:

Again, although it would be "fantasy" to expect a untrained lay person to fly the plane with out probably crashing.......

....you never addressed my question of what the "industry protocol" is for a scenario where both pilots are either deceased or totally incapacitated and only the untrained flight staff and or passengers are available to pilot the plane.

You mention that the official flight manual on board is designed only for professionally trained pilots, yet the possibility is there that there may be an occasion where BOTH pilots are incapacitated, and radio contact is impossible.

I'm almost surprised that there isn't a "cheat sheet" that could be used by untrained persons in the event of an emergency. I know a modern airliner is extremely complex but there must be a way to make it at least possible for a person in an emergency to at least fly the plane (activate or control the autopilot) and maybe land it via auto landing program (likely crash landing) so there there is some chance some passengers might survive.

Last edited:
I'm still hoping that Astro14 answers my query here:

@Astro14:

....you never addressed my question of what the "industry protocol" is for a scenario where both pilots are either deceased or totally incapacitated and only the untrained flight staff and or passengers are available to pilot the plane.

Like the fantasy "10s of millions of innocent civilians murdered by the US military" of yours?

Why should he bother? You'll just blow it off or find some way to twist it to match your reality anyway.

Antiqueshell, I'll answer both questions here. I've hinted at my background throughout this thread, Trajan got close, but here it is writ plain: College on a combination of scholarship and financial aid, majored in Astrophysics. Joined the USN in 1986, flew the F-14 Tomcat (including combat missions) and a few significant others, like the F/A-18. F-14 Instructor pilot. I left the Navy in 1997 to join United Airlines. Instructed in the 747-400. FAA Check Airman. Type-rated in the B-757/767 and the A-320. Currently flying the A-320. Have flown over 30 different airplane types over my career. Still active in the USN Reserve, where I am approaching 28 years of service. At the time I joined BITOG, I was on Active Duty, serving on one of 5 year-long recalls since 9-11. In my "rant" a few pages back...I was talking about me...

There is no industry protocol for both pilots deceased or incapacitated. There is no "cheat sheet"...I personally find the idea mildly insulting...if you could pick up a sheet of paper and do my job...then why would you need my training or experience in the cockpit? When you look at Asiana 214, you see a trained, experienced pilot make a mistake: misunderstanding the autothrottle mode. He compounds his mistake with not monitoring airspeed, because the visual approach to RWY 28R in SFO is not simple and he doesn't have the electronic navigation (glideslope) to back him up. Our "cheat sheet passenger" doesn't even know how to program the frequency to get the glideslope, nor does he konw what that diamond on the right side of the primary flight display means...and how likely is he to make a similar mistake? (it's about 100%) or multiple mistakes? (again, about 100%, from my simulator experience) A "cheat sheet" or "gouge book" just isn't realistic...there is too much to explain when it comes to operating an airplane. There are so many building blocks to understanding just the environment in which it operates...

That environment, the operational aspects, the systems limitations, those are all things I've been trying to explain here, but it's the subject of many, many books, so at best, I've done an incomplete job and only given you a glimpse of some of the considerations...

I hope that answers your questions.

Cheers,
Astro

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back