Malaysia Airlines 777 loses contact...not found

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fly an airbus, though I am a Boeing fan. Both companies build good airplanesand while my Boeing preference is clear, I wouldn't hesitate to get on an Airbus. After all, I do I every day at work!

Of greater importance than design or manufacturer is the maintenance on the airplane. Who maintains it? How well is it serviced? Sound familiar?

Finally, who is flying it? Professional experienced crew that's been well trained and works well together? These issues have resulted in many recent accidents: crew error continues to be a causal factor. Some of which have been discussed here on BITOG.

I prefer to remain agnostic on cause at this point. Look, we know the FM. was programmed, the airplane turned and then may have flown for as much as 5 more hours. That points to the crew. But why? There are other possibilities but until we get more details, I am afraid that I would be speculating just like the rest of them...

Last edited:
Thanks for the update and great info Astro, very interesting indeed and quite the mystery.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Also do you think an Airbus is that dangerous to fly on as a passenger? May have to start avoiding those.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Airbus. All modern airliners are built in a similar fashion, and all of them are extremely well built. They figured out how to make sturdy airplanes a long time ago. Most accidents these days are caused by humans. Not necessarily pilots, but humans in some way. Like Astro said, avoid the 2nd/3rd world airlines.

*If you want an airplane to avoid, avoid the small turboprop airliners.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Here's an oddball question for Astro: could a windshield have failed?

Even so, wouldn't the emergency computer controls have compensated for lack of pilot control for a short period of time, of course they have oxygen up there...

I wonder if say the pilot and co pilot were both killed by such a failure (shards of plastic or glass, ect)

What is the procedure in this event, it must have been contemplated by the industry....?

One would assume that that would cause the other flight crew members and even passengers to access the cockpit somehow and possibly gain control of the plane. The auto pilot would have control of the plane but still SOMEONE would have to land it.

What are the chances of an inexperienced person with the ability to follow basic instructions being able to land a plane like the
A380 or similar?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

What are the chances of an inexperienced person with the ability to follow basic instructions being able to land a plane like the
A380 or similar?

I've often wondered this too.

Astro14 or 757Guy, do either of you have any input?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

A380 or similar?

I've often wondered this too.

Astro14 or 757Guy, do either of you have any input?

I would add another scenario, say communications systems are inoperative and cell service cannot be reached..

Is there an emergency flight manual on board that could explain the most basic elements of flying a major airliner that a adult of average intelligence could understand????

I've ALWAYS wondered this if for no other reason than always being prepared for anything in any event.

Last edited:
The latest, interesting...

"The pilot of the missing Malaysian Airlines plane made a mystery phone call just minutes before flight MH370 took off from Kuala Lumpur, it emerged last night.

Investigators are now urgently trying to work out who Capt. Zaharie Ahmad Shah spoke to in the cockpit before the plane took off on March 8."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...l#ixzz2wVAnLOSz

Random legal question. I learned a few days ago that Malaysia Airlines actually leases the plane's engines from Rolls Royce. If they do find the aircraft and it becomes clear that it a pilot diverted the plane, can or would Rolls Royce sue Malaysia Airlines for "buyout" of the engines?

In other words, if you're leasing a Ford Focus and you go and set that Focus on fire, Ford would likely make you pay for that car. Will Rolls Royce try to make MA pay for the engines, if the MA pilot flew it into the water?

Insurance by the airline should cover the cost of the engines. I'm sure part of the agreement in the lease is having plenty of insurance.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Here's an oddball question for Astro: could a windshield have failed?

There are no birds at 30,000 ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back