Making the Highlights Darker Blue

There is still a lack of contrast with both Firefox and Vivaldi. Most browsers are set to respect a site's appearance, unless told not to.

I can set my system highlight color on my Mac running Mojave, but it won't make a difference.

In this screenshot, Firefox is using the text highlight in the composition box as defined by the site, while rest of the text elements are highlighted according to the system settings.

Attachments

• contrast.jpg
    contrast.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 23
Highlighted text could be just a little bit darker IMO. I am using BITOG Grey, windows 10, and Google chrome.

The screen grab is actually darker than what I actually see on my screen when highlighting text. If it looked like the screen grab below when I was highlighting text, it would be spot on for me.

TooLight.PNG

Ahhhh ! Much better with light-colored themes.

@Gebo: Click the Apple in the upper left, System Preferences, General. What is "Highlight color" set to ?

Blue

Are my 5 computers still the only ones that aren't highlighting properly?

I can't change the highlight colors on my iMac and have that change work in the forum. I changed to "pink" but the forum stayed "blue."

Do you have a choice for custom?

Let me try to explain better. I can change the highlight on my computers to many colors including custom colors. But that selection has nothing to do with the color of my highlighting when editing a text or posting a text. No matter what color I select, when I try to edit a post, it always shows up as an "invisible" blue. Nothing I do affects the color of the highlight on a post I am posting or editing. If I go and merely highlight a post that has been done, then my selection shows up as whatever color I have selected from System Preferences.

Apparently, the forum software has the control over the highlight color and not my computers. I have attached a screen shot of where I highlighted an earlier post without trying to reply or edit it. This is the color blue that would be fantastic if it would do it while editing a post.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 9.19.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 9.19.02 AM.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 19
But that selection has nothing to do with the color of my highlighting when editing a text or posting a text.
On my iMac, it absolutely changes it. I tried 3-4 different colors and the macOS highlight setting changed in the text box here.

On my iMac, it absolutely changes it. I tried 3-4 different colors and the macOS highlight setting changed in the text box here.

I wish mine did...:cry:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 10.08.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 10.08.52 AM.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 20
I wish mine did...:cry:

It's not you.

As I said earlier, I tested Firefox, Vivaldi, and now Safari, representing all the browser engines, under Mojave, and the system highlight color is overridden by the topic reply input form. I can set it to black, or whatever color, and it makes no difference, because the page's code is calling the shots.

Interestingly, the input fields in the Log In dialog, as well as the Search function fields, do respect the system color choice.

The issue is confined to the input fields that contain the stylization toolbar, including the Signature customization field in user preferences. Toggle the BB code toolbar off, and it highlights using the system color. That is the easy workaround for anyone who doesn't use formatting, or want to use the dark theme.

Another XF forum I regularly visit universally dictates the selection color for every text input field to be black.

Under Catalina, the system's highlight color setting definitely appears to work.

When you have time, would you post a screen shot from your iMac of where you highlighted in a post you are actively typing? And use a different color?

When you have time, would you post a screen shot from your iMac of where you highlighted in a post you are actively typing? And use a different color?

Don't beat yourself up over this.

It's not an unique issue, and a little tweaking can address it.

(and yes, embedded links such as the two above could also benefit from additional contrast)

When you have time, would you post a screen shot from your iMac of where you highlighted in a post you are actively typing?
You pinpointed a key thing that I was overlooking. I think in my screenshots, I was highlighting already-posted text but as you refer to, text in the text box (where I'm typing this right now) isn't controlled by that macOS setting after all ! It uses a very faint/light blue no matter what color I select. And by very faint/light, it's not very visible to my eyes.

Ok, so I’m typing, and
63CEA48F-21C8-4A74-8BD2-57322FB88DE1.png
then
highlighting that type before posting...again on iPad...and it looks just fine...so, this appears to be an OS and/or browser issue as much as forum settings....

As I mentioned above, I was highlighting text in the wrong place. It's the text in the text-entry box that's difficult to see. This is on macOS (up to date) and Chrome (up to date).

highlight.png

Back