Maintaining a beater?

I picked up 05 Rav4 for a few hundred bucks last spring to scoot me the two miles to my farm job and back. 408k miles (around 200k on the engine/transmission). Busted sway bar end links, muffler was barely hanging on and the fuel tank straps had failed. The thermostat is stuck open but I just cover the radiator some in winter. Pulled the rear seats so I can fit more tools and parts in it.

I got the fuel tank properly secured again, removed the muffler, and replaced a badly cupped tire and that's all the work I've bothered to put into it. It runs like a top and starts great even in very cold weather.

Is it even worth doing regular maintenance on such a vehicle? I fixed the fuel tank because that's enough of a safety issue to me, and the cupped tire because it was annoying to drive on. I don't want to sink much money into such a heap. Theres plenty of other beaters for a few hundred bucks around to replace it with when it goes. Should I bother to do an oil change even? I have a good reliable vehicle for all other needs, I just like to keep the nice car away from the farm.

What would you do for maintenance (if any) on a beater living out it's last days on the farm?

I would do all of the necessary repairs and all of the scheduled maintenance but I would not "pro-actively" replace anything that is still working. Absolutely do an oil and filter change now and do them on schedule from here on out.

When I say "scheduled maintenance" I mean the stuff that the manufacturer says (in their service manual) that needs to be done. Not the useless BS Up-Selling crap that the Stealerships tell you that "needs to be" done.

You may think that right now there are plenty of other beater cars around and that you can get by by not caring for this one and that you'll just buyng another when this one fails. But it never seems to work ou that way. When You NEED a car, there's none available or the price is sky-high. It also cost time and money to get another car, pay the sales tax and new registration, etc etc. You're better off to keep one car running as possible than pay all of the fees to keep changing cars.

If you want the car to last, do all of the maintenance yourself and don't take it to a garage and certainly NEVER to a dealer!

FIX that thermostat and use one with the correct temperature rating and not higher or lower. Engines running under temperature can lead to fuel dilation of the oil and added engine wear and all sorts of other issues. Use Never Seize on all of the bolts particularly around the cooling system such as the water pump and thermostat housing, and all other parts that have aluminium in them. You'll thank me if you ever have to remove those bolts a second time.

Last edited:
If you don't intend to keep it long and plan to send it to the junk yard I would obviously make sure it is safe to drive like fuel lines, brake lines, brakes, etc but other than that I would probably just keep up with the oil changes until I junk it.

If you don't intend to keep it long and plan to send it to the junk yard I would obviously make sure it is safe to drive like fuel lines, brake lines, brakes, etc but other than that I would probably just keep up with the oil changes until I junk it.
I've checked out brakes and fuel lines and they're in relatively good shape. Close enough for government work anyway. It is certainly destined for the junkyard. I suppose an oil change wouldn't hurt, that's something I haven't done yet because I've been wondering if it's even worth it. Its been getting topped off with our bulk 15w-40 diesel oil cuz that's what's around. FS brand I think.

Last farm beater went 5 years without an OCI, didn't matter in the end as a blown brake line is what sent it to the junkyard.

Doesn't sound worthwhile. Maybe change the oil filter, do a full oil change at some point, but, least work necessary.

Well, keep up on the safety items, a crash could be costly.

Well if you don't want to even spend the 10 bucks on a thermostat, no, don't bother spending any more money on it.

You may think that right now there are plenty of other beater cars around and that you can get by by not caring for this one and that you'll just buyng another when this one fails. But it never seems to work ou that way. When You NEED a car, there's none available or the price is sky-high. It also cost time and money to get another car, pay the sales tax and new registration, etc etc. You're better off to keep one car running as possible than pay all of the fees to keep changing cars.
That's a fair point, I appreciate your 2 cents. And I will say I'm a religious never seize user, it's nice for the next guy and I always seem to be "the next guy". Especially on the farm equipment, it spends enough time outside it needs it.

Well if you don't want to even spend the 10 bucks on a thermostat, no, don't bother spending any more money on it.
It's more the time it takes to get to the darn thing thats been stopping me! 😅

Everytime I'm considering it I end up fixing one the farm implements instead, feels like a better use of my time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ maybe time will make a fool of me.

It's more the time it takes to get to the darn thing thats been stopping me! 😅

Everytime I'm considering it I end up fixing one the farm implements instead, feels like a better use of my time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ maybe time will make a fool of me.
Good point, least it's stuck open and not closed.

I agree with the post that says "fix that thermostat". Also, look for discounts on quality parts (prices that don't hurt your wallet) and fix it over time.

However, with regards to that thermostat, I would definitely fix that. Get some cheap DOT 3 brake fluid and flush out the old brake fluid. You can fix it up cheap if you are patient. That way, you don't feel that you are throwing money away.

I agree with the post that says "fix that thermostat". Also, look for discounts on quality parts (prices that don't hurt your wallet) and fix it over time.

However, with regards to that thermostat, I would definitely fix that. Get some cheap DOT 3 brake fluid and flush out the old brake fluid. You can fix it up cheap if you are patient. That way, you don't feel that you are throwing money away.
It would be nice to have heat in the winter. Good points ty for your input. Brake flush is not a bad idea at all. Could prolong its life as the last beater toyota went to scrap for a blown brake line.

You could fix everything that's wrong for $50.

End links on ebay are probably under $20 and will make the thing handle safely if you suddenly swerve.

Get some sort of oil from that Tractor Supply clearance and change it out. Throw some all makes antifreeze in when you do the thermostat.

I maintain my beaters just like my "good" vehicles. If I, or someone in my family, is going to be driving it, I'm going to know I've done everything I can to keep up with it. Like mentioned above, I wouldn't do proactive maintenance, but it's going to get regular oil changes, trans fluid, fuel filters, tire rotations, etc. I am not saying there is anything wrong with doing it your way, because it makes a lot of sense, but this is just how I do it.

With 400k miles, I'm not sure I'd even fill the gas tank all the way let alone do much for maintenance. If it had 150k or even 200k I'd maintain it like all my other stuff and keep fresh fluids in everything and make any needed repairs as they come up.

Is it even worth doing regular maintenance on such a vehicle?
Yes, if you don't want it breaking down and leaving you stranded prematurely. Fix what is due for it and safety related, and these tend to be inexpensive parts and not like you are going to be doing it over and over within a short period of time for anything, going 2 mi. at a time. Personally I wouldn't risk taking it on longer trips, I mean longer than a reasonable cost tow bill to get it back home or to the nearest junkyard, whichever seems right at the time.

This assumes DIY. I wouldn't pay a shop a cumulative total over a few years span of time that exceeds the vehicle value, but some things are just inevitable costsno matter what you drive unless you want to keep finding new foot-in-the-grave beaters and having to do similar work on them that you've already done.

Yes, if you don't want it breaking down and leaving you stranded prematurely. Fix what is due for it and safety related, and these tend to be inexpensive parts and not like you are going to be doing it over and over within a short period of time for anything, going 2 mi. at a time. Personally I wouldn't risk taking it on longer trips, I mean longer than a reasonable cost tow bill to get it back home or to the nearest junkyard, whichever seems right at the time.

This assumes DIY. I wouldn't pay a shop in excess of the value of the vehicle in any few-years span of time.
It never leaves a distance I couldn't get a tractor out to it to tow it back, it's too wore out to be considered reliable in my opinion. Everyday it runs for me is a gift. I have another, actually reliable vehicle, I just like to keep it off the farm. Stays nice that way. I appreciate your 2 cents.

Safety stuff I’d fix (I’m including the sway bar links in that), change the oil once a year with some clearance oil, other than that nope.

I’d fix the thermostat though. I bought a beater Toyota Camry for a few hundred bucks, didn’t even get to register it before the thermostat stuck closed and three mile island’d the engine. At least the AC was ice cold up until that point.

Back