How to desensitize that pesky car alarm button on your fob

The symbols on my fob of my 2005 Ford Taurus beater got worn off so I ordered up a new shell for it from Amazon. It comes with the shell, rubber insert for the buttons, but not the electronics. I found it went together well but the car alarm button was too sensitive and would go off if it was lightly touched or even if the case was lightly squeezed. The solution was easy. With the case disassembled I took a sharp blade and sliced off the nub that corresponded to the alarm button. Now it takes a direct push to set off the car alarm. No more fake alarms. Enjoy.

1086FA6C-4643-4466-8F44-5CEC1579CCB5.jpeg

Oh man did you hit a nerve there. I did the exact thing on my Chrysler key fob. The panic alarm would get set off constantly with the keys in my pocket and for some reason the Chrysler would not let me shut it down unless I was right beside the vehicle……although it would set it off 700 feet away 😡.

I butchered the ginormous fob for my JL so the stupid flip key doesn't flip open in my pocket.

So yeah, I know it's First World problems, but I understand frustrations with fobs.

I butchered the ginormous fob for my JL so the stupid flip key doesn't flip open in my pocket.

So yeah, I know it's First World problems, but I understand frustrations with fobs.

Even cars in third world countries have remote entry now, so this is also a third world problem :ROFLMAO:

With the case disassembled I took a sharp blade and sliced off the nub that corresponded to the alarm button. Now it takes a direct push to set off the car alarm. No more fake alarms. Enjoy.
I had to do the same to my dad's key fob, at my mother's request. Apparently he would squeeze the key fob and set off the alarm every time they walked out to the car! We never told him of the "surgery" but it fixed the issue 100%.

So simple. I'll have to try that with my 2005 Taurus FOB. It will pop the trunk if you breathe on it hard enough. Thanks!

Back