Magnetic Oil Drail Plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: xBa380
What other Toyota uses the YZZF1 Oil Filters?

xBa380, the '06 Camry also uses the YZZF1 oil filter (90915-YZZF1). The gaskets on these filters come pre-lubed. Since they're pre-lubed, the gasket end of the filter is covered with a thin plastic "Saran Wrap."

Yow, FilterMag's magnets cost as much as $100. Sounds pretty steep. Why not just attach your own inexpensive magnet(s) to the filter? Wouldn't they work as well?

I guess it might be hard to find a round magnet to wrap around the filter, but maybe ankle weight wraps could be used? Just replace the weights inside the ankle wrap with magnets....might work.

I put several small round magnets on the end of my drain plug, and they seem to be doing the job just fine. I couldn't find a magnetic drain plug, but didn't really look hard either, so I used some magnets I had laying around. The first time I used them, the drain plug had break in metals (new car) on the tip of it. If I find a magnetic drain plug, I'll buy it and start using that..the little magnets can be a pain sometimes.

Whatever you do in the way of filter magnets, insulate it somehow. A guy where I used to work thought it was a good idea to use one of those round rare-earth hard drive magnets on the end of his filter. The magnet reacted with the metal of the filter can and corroded a perfect ring on the end which started leaking after only a month or so. Filter-mags aren't padded for nothing.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: tom slick
Originally Posted By: XS650
Limited usefulness as far as removing iron particles from your oil, they are too small for that. But, a decent indication of how much iron your engine is throwing off.

I echo this. It can give you an indication of impending doom, but not much as a preventative measure.

Going off topic a bit...Since you're here Tom, how do swarf detectors in aircraft gearboxes work?

very simple system
They have two magnets electrically insulated from each other. when enough debris builds up it bridges the gap and you have continuity and, if equiped, turn on the indicator light. newer systems actually measure resistance to eliminate false alarms of just a little fuzz vs a lot of chips.
We called them "chip detectors" or "mag plugs". I've "buzzed the mag plugs" many many times in the C-130E.

Originally Posted By: kaboom10
One thought on a magnet. Wouldn't it give a false reading on a UOA by reducing the actual reading?

I think the particles on the magnet would get caught in the filter media anyway. you're just catching them on the magnet first. I've never read proof otherwise.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: kaboom10
One thought on a magnet. Wouldn't it give a false reading on a UOA by reducing the actual reading?

Never thought of that, could very well happen.

Think of this, removing any hard metal particles whether by magnet of filter, denys that captured particle the ability of creating secondary wear particles and so on.

If for no other reason, I like my magnetic drain plug because I can quickly remove it and stick it to my steel oil pan while the oil drains out...No need to fish it out of a hot drainpan full of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back