Magnetic Oil Drail Plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think of these? Good or waste of money?

Also, where would you suggest buying one? Price really isn't an issue, I just want a high quality, high grade bolt if possible with a good magnet. No chinese ebay items!
banana2.gif

Thanks!

Limited usefulness as far as removing iron particles from your oil, they are too small for that. But, a decent indication of how much iron your engine is throwing off.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Limited usefulness as far as removing iron particles from your oil, they are too small for that. But, a decent indication of how much iron your engine is throwing off.

I echo this. It can give you an indication of impending doom, but not much as a preventative measure.

Originally Posted By: tom slick

I echo this. It can give you an indication of impending doom, but not much as a preventative measure.

Going off topic a bit...Since you're here Tom, how do swarf detectors in aircraft gearboxes work?

It wouldn't hurt to have one. Like they said, it won't really do much for the oil. Autozone sells them.

If ever your regular bolt gets stripped and you go to AZ to get a new one, usually the Magnetics are only about .75 more. It does catch a bit of metal, and usually I end up pulling a pretty decent sized bit off the tip, sometimes as large as a Q-tip head or a pencil eraser.

I was also looking into the FilterMag, but they don't list one available for my car.

What other Toyota uses the YZZF1 Oil Filters?

Just changed my manual tranny and rear diff fluids this weekend. Both had magnetic drain plugs and they were full of goo/paste.

I would assume anything big enough to get caught by a magnetic drain plug would get caught by the engine oil filter. However, it couldn't hurt to have for the small investment.

Found out what size the filter mag I would need is... Thinking about getting one ordered today or tomorrow after I do some research.

75lbs or 150lbs? I don't know if I could spend $70 though on the 150lb one...

Originally Posted By: tom slick

Going off topic a bit...Since you're here Tom, how do swarf detectors in aircraft gearboxes work?

http://www.tpub.com/content/aviationmaintandmisc/TM-55-2840-231-23/css/TM-55-2840-231-23_338.htm

I have a Filter-Mag and I use it in combination with my Amsoil Oil Filter and I have destroyed a filter to look inside and it caught all kinds of stuff on the outer/inner part of the filter where the magnet was placed... These definitly work. I have a Magnet Drain Plug that came on my Transmission and it is usually clean when I change the fluid... Just me experiences... :)

The way I see it, if it really works then it would come from the factory.

Honda auto tranny has magnetic drain plug as OEM, but not in the engine oil pan. Wonder why.

I have had magnetic plugs on Japanese bikes, American Vtwins, and both my 4.3 GM Vortecs. I always see some metalic paste and would think my plug had lost it magnatism if I didn't. And all these vehicles ran strong and used no oil. So I think they do something becasue I can wipe the plugs on a shop towel and see it. But that's just me. I have cars without them too and they run great but I don't see how it could hurt.

Eh, trying to decide if it is even worth it. Kinda poor at the moment. Ill wait for my UOA and see what is up, haha.

Appreciate the help guys!

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
The way I see it, if it really works then it would come from the factory.

GM has them on the 2006 and 2007 5.3 engines.

Originally Posted By: kaboom10
One thought on a magnet. Wouldn't it give a false reading on a UOA by reducing the actual reading?

Never thought of that, could very well happen.

It's logical that removing something from the oil would change the analysis. Maybe if 2 exact samples were taken for a UOA. Same oil and mileage with and without the magnet. Kinds like filtered and unfiltered oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back