machining a Permacool Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjo

I'm considering a bypass filter for my transmission once again. There is a spin on OEM filter for my transmission and I was thinking about installing a sandwich adapter under it to be used as an oil pressure source. The trouble is, the filter threads are 3/4"-20 and not a single Permacool adapter will fit it. Does anyone know of an adapter that would fit?
Would it be a good idea to buy one with smaller threads (say 18mm), drill out the existing threads and tap it 3/4-20?

The Permacool adapter will work fine ..but the thread extension insert won't be the right thread. See how the threaded part of your current trans filter is inserted into the mount. If it's just a long threaded piece...get a longer one. You'll have to fashion some kind of bushing so that sandwich adapter won't shift (normally taken care of by their thread extender).

See if Trasco has a filter in 3/4 20 thread. It combos the bypass and the ff into one (or so they say).

quote:

See if Trasco has a filter in 3/4 20 thread. It combos the bypass and the ff into one (or so they say).

Alas, unfortunately they don't. They only make those for the common threads such as 3/4"-16, 5/16, etc...

What is this on, anyway?? There has to be a break down of the sub components of the filter mount in the parts dept database. That should have the threaded insert listed there. There is also the possilbity of just replacing the OEM (I don't know how they incorporate it into the vehicle) with an appropiately sized remote head (there are many aside from Premacool).

You always have the option of just plumbing "tees" in the trans cooler lines and having the bypass truly bypassing the entire cooling circuit. Unless you use a trasko ...you won't tax the flow to the cooler at all ..nor will you if you use one of the Amsoil bypass filters. The flow restriction is so tremendous ...it will only tap a very small flow. read this thread It will give you a fairly low cost option for using Amsoil spin on filters. This is already set up with 1/8" taps and and should easily be "t"-eed into your existing cooling circuit. It has some radical internal restrictor that looks like a solid plug at first inspection. BP-80A with the small Amsoil bypass filter would be a good choice, IMHO.

I just did some research. The M18x1.5 thread is a bigger hole than the 3/4x20 thread. And there aren't any Permacool adapters with threaded holes smaller than 3/4x20. Thus I would not have enough material to retap the hole to 3/4x20. Oh well, I guess a pressure port is the next best thing.

I have some threads for that that will fit the universal sandwich adapter 189. My concern is that the stock filter gasket is taller and fits into a recess in the filter mount. I know of someone that used the stock filter gasket in the sandwich adapter but I haven't done one yet. All I get is feedback from customers that do things like that. You have to be careful about asking questions. Some of the people that should know those things actually don't know. One of the bushings in the universal adapter package is slightly smaller than the 3/4"-20 threads. It is the 18 mm. The 3/4"-20 tap works perfect. Don't drill out the threads. Just be careful to run the tap in straight. 3/4" is 19.05mm. Since one bushing is 22mm 19mm won't make the bushing too thin. I can drop one in the mail to you just keep us posted on how well it works.
I did a Cummins Dodge by installing a Perma-Cool transmission filter. Then I installed a 181 Ford adapter on the filter mount and ran hoses to the Motor Guard. That is the ultimate system. A sandwich adapter at the Allison filter mount would be the same. The Perma-Cool transmission takes a 3/4"-16 thread filter. If the Allison needs a shorter filter yoou could install a Toyota filter. If you unscrew the Allison nipple it is 20mm 1.5 the same as my Subaru on the upper end. They like to make things complicated.

Ralph
burnout.gif

quote:

I can drop one in the mail to you just keep us posted on how well it works.

Great! I have an idea that maybe the pressure port would be the most reliable, but I'll send you an email Ralph if I change my mind. This is for my Saturn '95. I have some ideas on how to pack everything under the hood just give me 'till Christmas (college break) and check back around that time for some pics. Cheers.

cheers.gif

[/QUOTE]Great! I have an idea that maybe the pressure port would be the most reliable, but I'll send you an email Ralph if I change my mind. This is for my Saturn '95. I have some ideas on how to pack everything under the hood just give me 'till Christmas (college break) and check back around that time for some pics. Cheers.
cheers.gif
[/QB][/QUOTE]

You have to be careful about pulling fluid off a test plug. There might not be enough flow in that area. There might not be enough flow but enough pressure. The test plug might be in a place where large abrasives can't get to.
One thing you can do with a sandwich adapter is drill enough holes in it to eliminate any resistance to flow then plug one port and use the other port for pressure. You could then return the clean fluid to the oil pan. You would need to use a regular oil filter instead of the Motor Guard M-30-ATF.
I'm not sure what the pressure is to the spin on filter. Most people that buy these types of filters are thinkers and figure it out. The MG-30-ATF will work with the sandwich adapter or in the line going to the radiator but won't work with conventional installations because of the element bypass orifice. It looks like the filter is similar to the Duramax Allison. They should sell for about 3.00. I paid about 24.00 for one at the dealership and about 12.00 at O'Reilly Auto Parts and they had to order it.

Ralph
burnout.gif

quote:

You have to be careful about pulling fluid off a test plug. There might not be enough flow in that area. There might not be enough flow but enough pressure. The test plug might be in a place where large abrasives can't get to.

Ralph,

Wouldn't the pressure port be the perfect solution since there is not that much flow through a bypass filter anyway, and this flow wouldn't interfere with any flow to the cooler? I'm assuming that all transmission pressure ports connect to the accumulator?? Then the throttle body "pan" could be tapped for the BF drain?
Just a little concerned about previous posts claiming that the Trans cooler adapters restricted too much flow and resulted in sluggish/overheated transmissions. And if the pressure port could be tapped, it would allow for the shortest hoses and easier setup overall.

Mark

With a flow rate of 8-10 gallons /hour for a bypass filter, I'll try the pressure port first. That's only 8-10cc per second. Using the pressure port as the source of dirty oil, the return line will be in the valve body "pan". If the PP doesn't work I'll go with a tee off of the oil cooler lines. I might take the restrictor orifice and put it right after the PP, which would hopefully help lower pressures in the inlet hose. As for large particles, Saturns all have full flow filters that take care of those. No machining/ leaky gaskets to worry about.

My 2,000,000 cents.
smile.gif

Mark

My first Motor Guard installation on a transmission was a Buick Dynaflow. I tapped into the high accumulator. I got 85 psi to the filter when I shifted into drive. I was a kid and had a tee and an oil pressure gauge on the dash. Some of those test plugs had 185 psi. I don't like to run 85 psi on the element.
I have filters at work running at 2 psi. I did a new Cummins Dodge awhile back that put out a stream of oil like a garden hose. I put a dual remote system on it. On the 61 Buick I used a self tapping hollow bolt in the oil pan. I don't see why it would hurt to use a pressure test port if the filter doesn't drop the pressure on the part that is getting the oil. I wouldn't tee off at a cooler line and pull oil off the cooler. The oil line going to the cooler is taking hot oil off the torqe converter and returning it to the lubrication system after it is cooled.
My Turbo 350 book talks about installing a Perma-Cool ATF filter. I would go the next step and install a sandwich adapter and a Motor Guard. That would be a very safe system if you have doubts.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back