M3P Ludicrous Review

"adjusts to driver and road inputs in real time"
"reduced adaptation"

They are implying it's more than just presets.

Jeff anything in documentation?

I never really liked any of the adaptive stuff, and always put Bilsteins, Fox, and Kings on my stuff when the stock parts go.
Besides website documentation; I am buying this car sight unseen in so many ways. Obviously I know what a Model 3 is and how it fits my use case.
The beauty of this car's suspension is, you can run it standard, sport or track mode and it adjusts in real time. It is not a one trick pony; it does so much more.
This car does so much well, from great seats, Tesla handling, no gas, little-to-no maintenance and supercar performance.

From Tesla:
A first for Model 3, and unique to the new Model 3 Performance, our new Adaptive Damping system adjusts to driver and road inputs in real time to optimize ride and handling, while also improving ride comfort.

Much like our powertrain, our adaptive suspension is controlled via Tesla’s in-house software, and is therefore a fully integrated chassis sub-system. This allows significant product adaptability in the future via OTA software updates.

Last edited:
Besides website documentation; I am buying this car sight unseen in so many ways. Obviously I know what a Model 3 is and how it fits my use case.
The beauty of this car's suspension is, you can run it standard, sport or track mode and it adjusts in real time. It is not a one trick pony; it does so much more.
This car does so much well, from great seats, Tesla handling, no gas, little-to-no maintenance and supercar performance.

From Tesla:
A first for Model 3, and unique to the new Model 3 Performance, our new Adaptive Damping system adjusts to driver and road inputs in real time to optimize ride and handling, while also improving ride comfort.

Much like our powertrain, our adaptive suspension is controlled via Tesla’s in-house software, and is therefore a fully integrated chassis sub-system. This allows significant product adaptability in the future via OTA software updates.
Tesla handling leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe this one goes, but Im curious to read reviews first.

I always found Citroens suspension systems fascinating, I only owned their earlier models the SM and CX but the systems were updated to adaptive years after these cars were produced so I have no long term experience with them. There is some interesting information in this article, i would seem Lotus had a very early active system. Worth a read.

Tesla handling leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe this one goes, but Im curious to read reviews first.
I'm not at all sure I agree. The performance versions of the Tesla are impressive, and turn great lap times. Clearly, enthusiast owners that do track days upgrade tires, brake pads and sometimes more. But in the end, the cornering prowess and times are well into the sports car range. These things are not just 1/4 mile monsters. The recent crop of performance oriented "family car" EV's are stunningly good.

Battery temperature and reduced performance after a few laps can still be an issue. I wonder if the latest M3P can finish 15 laps without reducing power. Also, these cars are heavy and tough on tires during a track day.

By way of comparison, my quite capable Jag F-Type 400HP convertible will turn 1:04.5 lap times at Lime Rock Park on the OEM crummy tires. The M3P is a full 5 seconds faster, and that was done on Falcon Azenis street tires (which are admittedly a fav of mine). I would require slicks and 100 more HP to match that.

And the lap record for a Spec Miata 1:01.10 (normally around 1:02.2)

Last edited:
I'm not at all sure I agree. The performance versions of the Tesla are impressive, and turn great lap times. Clearly, enthusiast owners that do track days upgrade tires, brake pads and sometimes more. But in the end, the cornering prowess and times are well into the sports car range. These things are not just 1/4 mile monsters. The recent crop of performance oriented "family car" EV's are stunningly good.

Battery temperature and reduced performance after a few laps can still be an issue. I wonder if the latest M3P can finish 15 laps without reducing power. Also, these cars are heavy and tough on tires during a track day.

By way of comparison, my quite capable Jag F-Type 400HP convertible will turn 1:04.5 lap times at Lime Rock Park on the OEM crummy tires. The M3P is a full 5 seconds faster, and that was done on Falcon Azenis street tires (which are admittedly a fav of mine). I would require slicks and 100 more HP to match that.

Maybe try an unmodified car for comparison if you want to post lap times.
Edit: not sure which mods were on the car during their Lime Rock run.

Last edited:

Interesting. None of the publicized tests I've seen look very good on the M3P. Hopefully the new one will fix that. On some tracks its similar to my SUV, on longer tracks it peters out and thermal management can't handle it. My car is 800# heavier and an inch higher off the ground, to boot, lol!

This is what a Tesla Model 3 Performance takes to compete with my car, bone stock on trash Goodyears, lol!

Modified 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance (Black) EV Lap Record at VIR Full! Super excited to finally break a 2:05 at VIR!
83% Starting SOC,
MPP Front Upper Control Arms and FLCA Bushings
AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kit w/ Ferodo DS3.12 Pads (Front)
MPP Rear Suspension Arms (Camber, Toe, Traction, Trailing)
MPP Rear Rotors w/ Raybestos ST-43 Pads
MPP Sports Coilovers (KW)
Unplugged Performance Sway Bars
Unplugged Performance Front Lip and Rear Spoiler
Konig Hypergram 18x10.5/11 Wheels with Yokohama Advan A052 295/35/18

All that allowed the 800# lighter, 1" lower car to perform an identical lap time as my SUV. OOF!

Last edited:
Maybe try an unmodified car for comparison if you want to post lap times....
Edit: not sure which mods were on the car during their Lime Rock run.
Yeah, I missed that part, apologies. However, there are plenty of M3P lap times from other amateur drivers with similarly superb lap times.

The thing is, the M3P does thermally limit pretty fast, so a number of these guys can only do 1 warm up lap and 1 fast lap. I sure hope the new version fixes that.

10.89 @ 121.6 mph and he hit the brakes...
1717985558798.jpg

Really, who cares? I sure don't give a rats rear as I don't drive on a drag strip on my way to get a haircut. Nothing about the performance impresses me for a daily driver and lets be honest the vast majority of people buy the car for normal everyday use and isn't that what this whole ev push is all about, getting people to buy them to drive like any other car.

Really, who cares? I sure don't give a rats rear as I don't drive on a drag strip on my way to get a haircut. Nothing about the performance impresses me for a daily driver and lets be honest the vast majority of people buy the car for normal everyday use and isn't that what this whole ev push is all about, getting people to buy them to drive like any other car.
It matters as a car guy. Fast stuff is fun in the right situation. If we’re spending this much on a car, it might as well be fast and fun. It’s not a base Corolla.

If performance and fun wasn’t a thing we wouldn’t have Mustang GTs, Camaro Z28s, Golf GTIs, STIs, etc. EVs being fast is child’s play and it used to be a huge argument of magazine numbers. Now that EVs decimate everything it no longer matters apparently. You mad bro?

Mad at what? EVs decimate nothing, can you run one flat out for even 50 miles? No you cant, the ev will need a charge, an old Ford 1.1 Fiesta or Corolla starting at the same time will pass you as you sit there charging. Where in the USA are you doing this super car, hair on fire driving? It is a joke, you are the one who should be mad at them for selling you some sort of fantasy.

Mad at what? EVs decimate nothing, can you run one flat out for even 50 miles? No you cant, the ev will need a charge, an old Ford 1.1 Fiesta or Corolla starting at the same time will pass you as you sit there charging. Where in the USA are you doing this super car, hair on fire driving? It is a joke, you are the one who should be mad at them for selling you some sort of fantasy.
Lol yes you can. Flat out, an EV has similar range vs a performance gas car (abour 100mi). On a track, actually more, due to regen braking, depending on the course. That said, it's rare to use 160+mph sustained speed as purchase criteria.

Asking for 200kmh or 120mph is not unreasonable. You made my point even with 100 mile range at speed you will need to charge it, the slower gas car will pass you in the long run and he can fill up much faster and keep going. There is a country where you can drive these speeds legally, 200kmh is not that fast.

I’m just goofing around. I don’t drive with the throttle pinned everywhere, but I’d like a bit of fun there when I get the chance. I live in a mostly rural area where I can drive 20 miles at times and not see another human being, especially with my weird schedule. There’s still plenty of range when I drive like a civilized person and need to go somewhere.

I don’t know why you’re so concerned about others being sold an EV. No one forced anyone to sign a sales agreement. It’s just another option available to us as consumers.

0-60 and qtr mile numbers are standard metrics for vehicles, especially performance vehicles, right? For 55 large, this car beats the snot out of the world's best.
I will never do a 0-60 run and will rarely hit 90 mph. I will never drive on a track either. I agree, no one needs this car, nor do they need a BMW, MBZ, Vette, Porsche, Bro-Dozer, you name it. $80K pickup? Please... Now the new Taycan down the street is pretty darn nice, as is the Bi-Turbo Benz across the street... I guess I haven't seen too much dissing of those vehicles, maybe you can post your views?

I will, however, pass cars on the freeway and get out of trouble. This car can do that, pretty darn well. So can our 2018 Model 3, by the way. It's pretty quick, up to about 85. I will miss this car but hope to see it go to the right home.

By the way, the new M3P excels as a daily driver. Very comfortable, easy to drive, doesn't need gas, incredible GPS system, very simple maintenance, etc. Of course it's not for every use case, no car is. The rubber band tires could be a problem... Sure, it ain't a CR-V RAV4 Corolla Camry Civic Accord etc.

Do I need this car? No. I didn't need my '66 GTO, Firechickens or the 4 Corvettes either. Or most of the cars I now own, with the exception of the Tundra and TSX.
There is another reason I am buying the new M3P; the seats are incredible. A close family member has Sciatica and finds our 3's seats problematic. This is important to me. Very important.

Asking for 200kmh or 120mph is not unreasonable. You made my point even with 100 mile range at speed you will need to charge it, the slower gas car will pass you in the long run and he can fill up much faster and keep going. There is a country where you can drive these speeds legally, 200kmh is not that fast.
You have a very niche use case. My EV6 GT will never see Germany. That said, even that is a fantasy, as the longest stretch of unrestricted Autobahn is only about 90 miles long.

Which Autobahn? There are many with some long stretches that at certain times of the day you can fly.
0-60 and qtr mile numbers are standard metrics for vehicles, especially performance vehicles, right? For 55 large, this car beats the snot out of the world's best.
I will never do a 0-60 run and will rarely hit 90 mph. I will never drive on a track either. I agree, no one needs this car, nor do they need a BMW, MBZ, Vette, Porsche, Bro-Dozer, you name it. $80K pickup? Please... Now the new Taycan down the street is pretty darn nice, as is the Bi-Turbo Benz across the street... I guess I haven't seen too much dissing of those vehicles, maybe you can post your views?

I will, however, pass cars on the freeway and get out of trouble. This car can do that, pretty darn well. So can our 2018 Model 3, by the way. It's pretty quick, up to about 85. I will miss this car but hope to see it go to the right home.

By the way, the new M3P excels as a daily driver. Very comfortable, easy to drive, doesn't need gas, incredible GPS system, very simple maintenance, etc. Of course it's not for every use case, no car is. The rubber band tires could be a problem... Sure, it ain't a CR-V RAV4 Corolla Camry Civic Accord etc.

Do I need this car? No. I didn't need my '66 GTO, Firechickens or the 4 Corvettes either. Or most of the cars I now own, with the exception of the Tundra and TSX.
There is another reason I am buying the new M3P; the seats are incredible. A close family member has Sciatica and finds our 3's seats problematic. This is important to me. Very important.
Well the cars you mention are all low performers by modern standards, most are slower then a late model VW or Honda Civic. Whats all this about beating the snot out of the worlds best? That is juvenile stuff man and at your age you should know better.
Why no dissing of the Taycan or Benz? I will tell you, those cars were never sold as a replacement for everyday cars driven by everyday people to work, housewives taking the kids to school and shopping, used as rental cars the Tesla is aimed at replacing those cars and that is insanity driven by an idiot savants fantasy.

Well the cars you mention are all low performers by modern standards, most are slower then a late model VW or Honda Civic. Whats all this about beating the snot out of the worlds best? That is juvenile stuff man and at your age you should know better.
Why no dissing of the Taycan or Benz? I will tell you, those cars were never sold as a replacement for everyday cars driven by everyday people to work, housewives taking the kids to school and shopping, used as rental cars the Tesla is aimed at replacing those cars and that is insanity driven by an idiot savants fantasy.
You misunderstood what I wrote. The M3P Ludicrous is comparable to today's Supercars at a fraction of the cost. I listed cars as I have owned agreeing with you that no one needs muscle cars, sports cars, expensive cars, etc. Of course you are correct; today's cars have eclipsed the best cars of the 60's, 70's etc. Technological advancements across the board, from tires to turbo chargers on 4 bangers.

No one said the M3P is a daily driver, but it could be.
Plus, you don't have to buy the Performance version. You can buy the Std Range RWD for much less $$. It is still plenty fun to drive.
Rumor is Tesla is contemplating a Model 3 Long Range RWD which, IMO, is a great sedan for many use cases. There is also the Model 2, or whatever they end up calling it.

I tell prospective buyers the Model Y might be a better fit for many. Easier to get in and out of, lots of storage, etc. Owners love 'em and buy a ton of them. There must be a reason for it, right? And yes, they can make great daily drivers for the right use case.

Regarding my age and juvenile, I have saved my money all my life, invested and lived dirt cheap. I spent 20 years caring for my parents and made sure they got to live and die in their own home with the best of care. Today I give away to causes I believe in amounts you might not understand. If I want to buy a special car, that's exactly what I am gonna do. The M3P price is a bargain for what it is. Perhaps try and understand your opinion is not the only one; each to their own.

Last edited:
Back