M3P Ludicrous Review

I'd love to, but by the time I get the vacation time to get out there I'll probably be buying before then. I'll definitely work out a time to check it out in either Madison or Milwaukee. I've been in the Highland Long Range, but I didn't drive the car that day.

I'll definitely schedule a drive on the Performance when I start getting serious. The only cars at this time I'm considering is the Golf R, RS3, and the M3P. I'm just having a hard time considering the first two when the last one exists. It kills both of them for less money. The performance is at a level where it would take a heavily modified RS3 to match it. I'm not exactly trying to hit a goal for performance, but it's a measurable metric that can't be ignored in the comparison.
The sound the RS3 makes is enough to get my vote.

I made a mistake... $43K is if you qualify for the tax credit and does not include destination, etc.
The price is more like $49K with tax benefit and almost $57K without.

They have also raised the base price $2,000 since the release a month ago.

Besides acceleration there are plenty of cars that compare at less than 43k. But to each there own.:rolleyes:

We should consider lap times on a road course too. The M3P is a serious contender, plenty fast on a track-day, mixing it up with real sports cars.

Last edited:

All-New Adaptive Damping​

A first for Model 3, and unique to the new Model 3 Performance, our new Adaptive Damping system adjusts to driver and road inputs in real time to optimize ride and handling, while also improving ride comfort.

Much like our powertrain, our adaptive suspension is controlled via Tesla’s in-house software, and is therefore a fully integrated chassis sub-system. This allows significant product adaptability in the future via OTA software updates.

Ride and handling characteristics are now controlled via preset modes:

• Standard: relaxed/calm character offering significant comfort and absorption improvement but still well controlled and engaging to drive in all conditions.
  • Sport: elevates damping control for faster settling times to increase connection with the road during focused driving and improves steering response but still adapts to rougher roads.
  • Track: body control and response are maximized with reduced adaptation to provide high and consistent performance on closed circuits (automatically selected in Track Mode).
Not ADAPTIVE suspension. Only Ferrari and Porsche that I know of have ACTIVE suspension, which I think Tesla is trying to claim. Adaptive dampers are 20 year old tech.
Correction: Toyota had adaptive dampers in1983.

Last edited:

All-New Adaptive Damping​

A first for Model 3, and unique to the new Model 3 Performance, our new Adaptive Damping system adjusts to driver and road inputs in real time to optimize ride and handling, while also improving ride comfort.

Much like our powertrain, our adaptive suspension is controlled via Tesla’s in-house software, and is therefore a fully integrated chassis sub-system. This allows significant product adaptability in the future via OTA software updates.

Ride and handling characteristics are now controlled via preset modes:

• Standard: relaxed/calm character offering significant comfort and absorption improvement but still well controlled and engaging to drive in all conditions.
  • Sport: elevates damping control for faster settling times to increase connection with the road during focused driving and improves steering response but still adapts to rougher roads.
  • Track: body control and response are maximized with reduced adaptation to provide high and consistent performance on closed circuits (automatically selected in Track Mode).
Not ADAPTIVE suspension. Only Ferrari and Porsche that I know of have ACTIVE suspension, which I think Tesla is trying to claim. Adaptive dampers are 20 year old tech.
Correction: Toyota had adaptive dampers in1983.
GM has had adaptive, active suspension for decades. Same for Audi, who actually integrates it with cameras to soften suspension when it sees a bump.

What Tesla has, is the same thing my Kia has. In-car electric controlled suspension with pre sets.

"adjusts to driver and road inputs in real time"
"reduced adaptation"

They are implying it's more than just presets.

Jeff anything in documentation?

I never really liked any of the adaptive stuff, and always put Bilsteins, Fox, and Kings on my stuff when the stock parts go.

GM has had adaptive, active suspension for decades. Same for Audi, who actually integrates it with cameras to soften suspension when it sees a bump.

What Tesla has, is the same thing my Kia has. In-car electric controlled suspension with pre sets.
Call it what you want, it is not what Ferrari and Porsche have. All other systems pale in comparison to true active suspension. This is the future.

• Haha
Reactions: Ws6
Call it what you want it is not what Ferrari and Porsche have. All other systems pale in comparison to true active suspension. This is the future.
It actually is, because Ferrari licenses it from GM.

"reduced adaptation"

I never really liked any of the adaptive stuff, and always put Bilsteins, Fox, and Kings on my stuff when the stock parts go.
My Bilstein B6/8 and KONI Active Red will work better.

"reduced adaptation"

Adaptive suspension is where its at. Ive never driven anything as good as a real adaptive suspension like GM, Ferrari, etc.

The article is misleading. That is not suspension, it is part of suspension.

No. That is not active.

I mean, it adjusts almost instantly based on body sensors and suspension compression in response to road surface, what would you call that?

Eta: I see what you mean. Yeah, I dunno if the juice is worth the squeeze for this until you're spending Ferrari money.
Adaptive. Active will actually control spring rates on the fly.

I mean, it adjusts almost instantly based on body sensors and suspension compression in response to road surface, what would you call that?

Eta: I see what you mean. Yeah, I dunno if the juice is worth the squeeze for this until you're spending Ferrari money.
I see a bigger problem here. For this particular vehicle, 99lbs might not be much. But if they decide to go this suspension to models where every lbs counts, the benefits become questionable.

Back