M1 vs M1 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by PimTac
I believe this to be the case. M1 has several different product lines like AFE and Super Synthetic to name a couple. They differ in that their bases are different blends of group III , 4, and perhaps some 5 in certain ones. There was some suggestion here that GTL is also present in some. The AFE was mentioned in that respect.

Actually some of SteviecC post was not all together right.

Specifically what part of it wasn't right?

I would like to know as well. I thought I had it right from what I read here.

Originally Posted by tig1
. . .
Actually some of SteviecC post was not all together right.

I agree with the others. If you allege that something someone posts is incorrect, it's essentially your burden to say what's incorrect and why you believe that is so.

Side note, March i will be having a factory cal preformed on my lab equipment
Most virgin samples i have enough to re test for any discrepancy.
TBN is done by ftir which may be why some may see different values. I use it as a trend value

Originally Posted by Purpfox
Side note, March i will be having a factory cal preformed on my lab equipment
Most virgin samples i have enough to re test for any discrepancy.
TBN is done by ftir which may be why some may see different values. I use it as a trend value

It sounds great. You should create a thread for your VOA samples or at least post them under the VOA section.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
SN/GF-5 has a phosphorous limit, not zinc. Phosphorous looks to be in spec.

Thanks for the correction, good catch.

I will see folks say a particular Mobil 1 might have less than 10 percent PAO, 20 percent GTL. What is the rest (majority)? Traditional Group III? Is Viscom still a thing or is that no longer used? Thank you!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Anyone know the pao content of EP 5W20?

20-30%

I am guessing that it also has some AN/POE in it as well, albeit possibly less than the 0W-20 EP?
21.gif

Originally Posted by dailydriver
20-30%
I am guessing that it also has some AN/POE in it as well, albeit possibly less than the 0W-20 EP?
21.gif

AN: very unlikely. POE: between about 2 - 10% in most if not all M1 oils. Group I: very likely in all M1 oils as a solvent, albeit less than about 5%.

M1 AFE 0W-16, M1 EP 0W-20, and M1 AP 0W-20 are the only three PAO-based Mobil 1 oils (no Group III or GTL as far as I can tell).

those look to be strait from the PDS except for TBN and Noak

Mind sharing where you are getting those numbers.

PAO, GTL, and Group I from MSDS. POE was estimated by Oil-Club Russia using FTIR.

those look to be strait from the PDS except for TBN and Noak

Mind sharing where you are getting those numbers.

Yep, off Mobil1's site. The others came from PQIA, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, PQIA has data on M1 AFE 0W-20, M1 5W-30, M1 AP 5W-30, and M1 HM 5W-30.

Oil-Club Russia has data on some other M1 oils, such as the Euro flavors. However, you need to use the Chrome browser and have Google translate their web pages.

buster called Mobil 1 and learned the NOACK for M1 EP 0W-20. I believe it's about the same as M1 AFE 0W-20, which is around 10%. I think they tell you the NOACK and HTHSV if you call them.

http://pqiamerica.com/PCMO_Sample_Summary_12_15_2016.html

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by dailydriver
20-30%
21.gif

AN: very unlikely. POE: between about 2 - 10% in most if not all M1 oils. Group I: very likely in all M1 oils as a solvent, albeit less than about 5%.

M1 AFE 0W-16, M1 EP 0W-20, and M1 AP 0W-20 are the only three PAO-based Mobil 1 oils (no Group III or GTL as far as I can tell).

I might be wrong but I could swear that in a recent thread M1 AFE 0w20 was mentioned to be around 30% PAO and the rest majority GTL plus some Ester.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I might be wrong but I could swear that in a recent thread M1 AFE 0w20 was mentioned to be around 30% PAO and the rest majority GTL plus some Ester.

2 parts of PAO, 2 parts of Group III, and 1 part of GTL, with a dash of ester.

M1 AFE 0W-16, M1 EP 0W-20, and M1 AP 0W-20 are the only three mostly PAO Mobil 1 oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back