M1 (TDT) :: 92k :: Wrangler (X) 4.0L I6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I finally ran the Valvoline out to 5,ooo miles on the Mopar filter.

Dumped a quart, at 4,5oo miles in, and put in a qt. Of MMO for a 5oo mile de-crud.

5,ooo miles came around, pulled over in that B&N parking lot on a hill, took out the new Blitz can, and drained the blackest oil I've ever seen for 3o minutes. It stopped dripping a little before the 3o minute mark.

I replaced it with 6 qts. of Mobil 1 5-4o TDT, and installed a M1 Extended Performance filter.

Started it up, warmed it up, o2' Jeep Wrangler's 4L I6 at 92,ooo miles went clack clack clack through the lifters. Interesting thing is the lifeters got louder as the engine heated up on the Valvoline too.

Many Bitog-er have stated the M1 TDT is an excellent excellent product, especialy in the 5-4o varity. Let's hope that lifter noise goes away, and the alleged cleaning agents do their job in this 6-7,ooo OCI.

I'll keep you updated. Whats up goes out DemarPaint, & M1 + Donaldson user guy.

-A

Is this lifter tick ever going to go away? Its not nice. Is the M1 o-40 Euro the answer? :-/

-F

The 0w40 is a cleaning legend (you should have seen the [censored] it filled the filter with on my Townie) but I would run the full OCI with the TDT first. It's a very robust oil.

It could be the lifter itself is damaged and there is no oil that is going to "fix" it.

Just a "wag", but maybe the MMO was too much of a shock treatment and too rapidly loosened chunks of "crud" that are now blocking oil flow passages. Maybe a gentler "crud dissolver" such as ARX might have been better. Maybe go with a cheaper dino oil and either another course of MMO in the hopes of dissolving the possible blockage or use a slow dissolver such as arx and clean up the engine gently and thoroughly. Your engine seems to like 40W oils so I'd think the 5W-40 oil should be ideal.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back