Largest M1 filter for Jeep 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear BITOG'ers

I was wondering whatis the largest Mobil 1 filter for my straight 6 4.0 motor of the Jeep Wrangler.
It calls for a 204.
Will take a 301.
Wondering about the 403.

May use M1 15w50, since the 0-40 is shearing easy, and I can hear the valves getting starved sometimes. On that note, do you recommend 1 qt of Hyperlube or Lucas? I stay away from Lucas but since I'm here I'll ask for your valued opinions. How about Delvac? Do tell. The oil pressure gauge gets pinned. Think it needs replacement. The seals are new and it runs great after everything gets warmed up after 5 minutes of driving. 200,000 miles. Let's do this. #Hooah.

Replace the oil pressure sender. 5 minute job on a 4.0L. If that still shows low oil pressure, hook up a different gauge to it and see what it says.

My experience with those engines is...
Put whatever in it, it's going to drink it anyway.
I know a few folks who use SAE 30 Rotella in them, as it drinks a qt every 1000mi
Keeping it topped off and changing the filter every 5K

Gee-my wife's winter driver is a Sept '92 built early Grand Cherokee with the 4.0. It's had 5-40 Rotella T6 and a Wix filter for the 4k miles it goes each year and at the end of the driving season it would only then be ready for a quart=160k miles now.

I would start with a 10w30 or 10w40 conventional. No additives.

I am not sure on the 403 oil filter. As you know, the 301 works.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
I know a few folks who use SAE 30 Rotella in them, as it drinks a qt every 1000mi

mine does not use any noticeable amount between changes

I think all of these cross reference and are a good bit bigger than the standard filters

M1-301
Fram PH8A
Purolator L30001
AC PF2
Motorcraft FL-1A

Not sure how much larger of a filter you can go, but I use the FL-1A on my 4.0. I was using the Purolator but The FL-1A is basically half the price.

I've never heard of a 4.0L being an oil burner.

My grandfather's 96' Cherokee 4.0L has never ever needed a top off on oil, it never moves from the full line. 139k miles

Same with my brother's 91 Cherokee 4.0L. 213k miles.

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
I'm using FL-1A with T5, it looses oil more from drips than from burning 160k and going strong

I'm at 191k, and going strong. But I think I have a small rear main seal leak. doesn't bother me though, I have some old pro-line stuff I use for top up.

I've run the FL-1A filter in our '94 for about 70-80K. That's a fairly big can at a really cheap price almost every WalMart carries it in our area also which is a big bonus. Do you need bigger than that?

Your hearing the valves getting starved...? In that case you've got mechanical problems no oil or filter will fix. I'd replace your sending unit as a starting point, as one poster already mentioned they commonly go bad. Our old 264K 4.0 XJ is still running 5w-30, don't see a reason for 15w-50 unless your flogging it in the mud all day.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I've never heard of a 4.0L being an oil burner.

My grandfather's 96' Cherokee 4.0L has never ever needed a top off on oil, it never moves from the full line. 139k miles

Same with my brother's 91 Cherokee 4.0L. 213k miles.

+1

I've only seen a few that burn oil, and they had 250k+ hard miles. Its usually the valve seals at that mileage. If the oil is going down on the stick on a 4.0 its usually leaking it not burning it.

I wouldn't use 15w50 unless you live in the desert. Rotella 15w40 is a heavy duty oil and should work well. When do you hear valve clatter? I always had valve clatter at start up when using the larger filters. I tried a M1-301 filter and it was the worst. Mobil 1 oil also makes my 4.0 really noisy. I'm currently using a Napa Gold 1516 filter, no valve clatter at all.

Me and a few other Jeep owners (like KCJeep) have noticed that Pennzoil oils seem to be the quietest running in our Jeeps because of the high moly content in the oil. My Jeep runs best on Pennzoil yellow bottle 10w30 or High mileage 10w30. A lot of other oils make it sound like a clattering diesel school bus.

That engine was developed by American Motors for the Rambler etc. I had a 65 Rambler with the original version, it burned zero oil and was probably one of the best engines I have owned. I drove it cross country a number of times in the summer using 20w-20 Sears oil. It had the three speed column shift with overdrive. The old kind of overdrive.

Running 10W40 Maxlife in my 4.0 for summer, now with 225K, I use the XG8A Ultra for 2 5K OCIs, it has a seeping rear main seal, but not enough to leak onto the ground, it might use a qt. every 1500 miles, but 5W30 is definitely too thin for summer. It'll be on 15W40 HDEO in the next few years, if the bottom doesn't rust off first!

I run any decent 10w-30 in my 01 Cherokee xj. It's got 238k on it. Runs great on Mobil, pennzoil,Super Tech, just about any 10-30 out there. Use the standard oem size filter. The's jeeps leak more out of the valve cover gasket and rear main seal than they will ever burn. I add the equivalent of the stain on my driveway every with oci of 4500 miles.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis

I'm clocking 242k miles on mine, and it uses less than half a quart over 6500 miles.

Originally Posted By: ARMY_Guy
Dear BITOG'ers

I was wondering whatis the largest Mobil 1 filter for my straight 6 4.0 motor of the Jeep Wrangler.
It calls for a 204.
Will take a 301.
Wondering about the 403.

May use M1 15w50, since the 0-40 is shearing easy, and I can hear the valves getting starved sometimes. On that note, do you recommend 1 qt of Hyperlube or Lucas? I stay away from Lucas but since I'm here I'll ask for your valued opinions. How about Delvac? Do tell. The oil pressure gauge gets pinned. Think it needs replacement. The seals are new and it runs great after everything gets warmed up after 5 minutes of driving. 200,000 miles. Let's do this. #Hooah.

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I run oil filters made for the Cummins 5.9/6.7 on my 4.0, using a thread adapter.

Started with an LF9028, but stepped up to a DBL7349, since I buy them in cases.

It does not touch the frame.

If you're looking to avoid shear, M1 15-50 will not help. That oil is a real knockover. I'm running Valvoline VR1 10W30 synthetic in mine (also purchased by the case) and it couldn't be quieter or happier. Shear? No. My Harleys can't shear VR1. 4.0 doesn't stand a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back