M1 M-103 Oil Filter closed louvers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
You would have to tear the filter apart to see if the louvers were open facing the other direction.

I bet the opposite sides are going to be unacceptable also.

Last edited:
The question is:

Is this even a issue?

Even if all the louvers were only open 1/3rd of "spec" would that even be restrictive compared to punched center tubes?

If the holes are too small in a filter or not enough of them the oil will be forced through those little openings with more force and it can cause molecular shearing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: funflyer
tig1 said:
You would have to tear the filter apart to see if the louvers were open facing the other direction.

I bet the opposite sides are going to be unacceptable also.[/quote
I guess we won't know until someone cuts one open. Until then it's speculation.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
The question is:

Is this even a issue?

Even if all the louvers were only open 1/3rd of "spec" would that even be restrictive compared to punched center tubes?

Maybe, maybe not ... only a summation of the total louver flow area would tell you if it's more or less than the total area of the base holes and exit center hole.

But who's going to want to use a filter where the louvers are barely opened up? Why risk it when there are hundreds of other filters to choose from that don't have manufacturing defects.

The ACDelco UPF48R filters still have holes in them. I'm sure that's just a temporary thing. Having seen this, I guess it will be more PF48E's or Wix

That looks like a Wix I had before, and posted in a thread here. I'd return it. In fact, I did, and got a different one of the same part number, and the difference was very apparent.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
... only a summation of the total louver flow area would tell you if it's more or less than the total area of the base holes and exit center hole.

But who's going to want to use a filter where the louvers are barely opened up? Why risk it when there are hundreds of other filters to choose from that don't have manufacturing defects.
"Barely opened up" louvers are not a manufacturing defect if they don't present significant restriction to flow. Manufacturers must surely have done testing to determine how wide the slots must be. Whether they're meeting their own specs in production is another matter.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
... only a summation of the total louver flow area would tell you if it's more or less than the total area of the base holes and exit center hole.

"Barely opened up" louvers are not a manufacturing defect if they don't present significant restriction to flow. Manufacturers must surely have done testing to determine how wide the slots must be. Whether they're meeting their own specs in production is another matter.

"Barely open" louvers certainly are a manufacturing defect when two identical brand & model oil filters have completely different formed louver openings. The filter designers don't intentionally design louvers to have hair width openings - the manufacturing process is not meeting drawing specs.

Yeah Ray Charles could've been able to tell the difference in between the two filters. Just like the difference between my Mobil 1 and Carquest Premium oil filter.

Nope - just cut the little M1-110 - go back to my first comment and Tig's ... (facing other way) ...
Some of the humps are dimples only - some are to scale open louvres ...
(Me and iPad not getting along uploading pics ... stay tuned)

No they aren't open either which way. The Carquest Premium were faced any other which way. They were clearly opened up. This Mobil 1 110 had the louvers with no opening from either side. Thus the openings were closed from both sides. My Royal Purple I have made by Champion Lab has open louvers which are obvious and apparent. I will take a pic of the RP which it clearly has properly opened louvers.

The Mobil 1 1-110 has the metal from both sides coming up and coming together therefore leading to a very narrow opening. The Royal Purple has metal coming up from only one side and the opposite side staying down therefore leading to a better opening for the louver. That's the big difference between the two filters.

Last edited:
Cut it open like I did ...
The purple one would have meant nothing wrt what I did today ... simple, it looked the same until I cut it open and was able to look from the other side. I'm still hit or miss on uploading - but now when I just cut pieces of media off - I can now look at the angled face and they now look even larger ...

I will eventually. But I'm telling ya the M 1-110 has narrowed openings due to the metal coming up from either side. It's plain as day. The pic that Garak took of his with narrow openings is exactly the same as my Mobil 1.

Now for the record I am not all bent out of shape about the Mobil 1 not looking right. It was $10 on sale and I know things happen sometimes. The RP and Carquest Premium I have from Champion Lab are very good. I looked at a Mobil 1 filter at O Reilly's and Autozone several weeks ago just for curiosity sake. It looked like the RP I have now with the louvers opened up very well.

After cutting open and tearing some media off and looking into the opening ... so only a handful of these to equal one of the baseplate holes and the entire tube is perforated. Conversely - my FU's have round holes - but mostly blank steel with no holes. I think they are both OK ... running the M1-212 on the 5.3L & Ecoboost now ...

Maybe just my eyes but that looks like one side of the metal goes up while the other side stays down. Which looks more like my Carquest Premium or Royal Purple which look very good with open louvers. Whereas the Mobil 1 I got the metal comes up from both sides to form a much more narrow opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back