M1 in 2021 5.3 Chevy

Just bought a 2021 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 in it. Looking towards oil changes and am leaning towards the Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0w-20. Usually change every 5k miles. Usually don't use the AC Delco filters but may start. I think it calls for the PF 63E. Don't know what the E means but readily available at Wally. The oil even comes in the 12 quart box for the same price as the 2-5 quart jugs. Anything I should do different or stay with my plan. Can change oil type or filter type for that matter. Just would like to know which is the "best" way. Thanks.

Any API full synth that meets your truck's specs is good. M1 and OEM filters are good. "Best oil" is very subjective and you might get hundreds of opinions. As long as it meets your specs, is API certified, and full synth, you're good to go. Maintenance is 1000x more important than brand of oil. 5k mile OCI is fine and your engine will love you long time. Pick one from WM and don't look back.

In my 2015 Ford F150 with the 2.7 I have used Motorcraft semi syn, Maxlife, Rotella Truck and Suv , QSUD and I can't tell a dime worth of difference and the oil level in on the full mark when I change the oil doing 5,000 mile oil changes.

As others have said, there is no "best" oil or filter. M1 AFE 0W20 meets GM's Dexos 1 Gen 2 spec, which is what your truck calls for, so it will be a perfectly suitable oil.

Your truck has an oil life monitoring system. It is an algorithm-based calculation based on your driving habits and time. There's not really a way to predict when it will instruct you to change the oil. Many people just follow the system and change the oil when the "Chane Engine Oil" message appears, but there wouldn't be anything wrong with sticking to a 5,000 mile interval. However, if the message appears before you 5,000 mile mark, I'd change the oil based on the message. Again, no real way to predict when it will tell you to change as it is on a vehicle-by-vehicle basis. My wife's Equinox will go 5,000+ miles before the message appears. My Colorado is lucky to make it to 3,500 miles before the message. Different vehicle, different engine, different drive cycle, different oil change interval.

My 2018 had its first 2+ years on M1AFE. I even did a couple of UOA and they were good. Last change I moved to Castrol Edge 0w20 and I think it’s a little quieter than the M1. It might be all in my head though. Any Dex 1 Gen 2 oil will work fine. I’ve also used the ACDelco and Wix filters, no difference that I can tell.

Saw at Wally that there was a Supertech 0w-20 full synthetic advanced motor oil. Haven’t seen that particular writing on the 5 quart jug but they also have the box with multiple quarts as well. Good or bad? This oil or the Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy?

Saw at Wally that there was a Supertech 0w-20 full synthetic advanced motor oil. Haven’t seen that particular writing on the 5 quart jug but they also have the box with multiple quarts as well. Good or bad? This oil or the Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy?
I was a lifetime Mobil1 user (since 1976). About three years ago I tried SuperTech oil and never looked back.

On April 1st Mobil starts their annual rebate up again, you'll be able to pick up 2 jugs of Mobil Extended 0w20 for ~$54 before tax and then submit a $30 rebate making both jugs under $15/ea, I'd just run it until the OLM says to change it, Mobil1 EP is pretty stout oil probably the cheapest oil you can get that's primarily formulated with PAO.

I would use the UPF63R.
4A341B5B-3605-4D5D-88A9-48ED7C8D710D.jpg

On April 1st Mobil starts their annual rebate up again, you'll be able to pick up 2 jugs of Mobil Extended 0w20 for ~$54 before tax and then submit a $30 rebate making both jugs under $15/ea, I'd just run it until the OLM says to change it, Mobil1 EP is pretty stout oil probably the cheapest oil you can get that's primarily formulated with PAO.
Where would I start to look for that rebate and how to order the oil?

If you can post here on Bitog I think you can do the rest. I don’t think you have to “order” the oil at all since you’re already going to Walmart.
So it will be set up everywhere that oil is sold?

Back