M1 Annual Protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't see this oil staying on the shelf very long as it is way overpriced, especially for Walmart customers.
frown.gif

So I just talked to Mobil 1 on the phone and I was told that there is no plan to discontinue the EP version. The only thing that's being discontinued is the EP filter. Also, no word on the price coming down on the AP.

It's almost as if the new Annual Protection has been, purposely and artificially, priced high while XOM rids their inventory of Extended Performance. To the average Joe, the following choices would be overwhelming:

Mobil 1
Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy
Mobil 1 Extended Performance
Mobil 1 High Mileage
Mobil 1 Annual Protection

The Extended Performance (15,000 miles) and Annual Protection (15,000 miles for most people?) are complimentary and I'd put money on Extended Performance going. Also, Walmart had a little fire sale on the Extended Performance today and XOM started a rebate program. Who knows...

Last edited:
If they have no plans of dropping EP, then I see AP boosting sales of EP. The price of EP is too high to justify another 5,000 miles before changing your oil. If they aren't going to drop EP, then AP is going have to come down to about $30 for a 5 qt. jug to make any sense at all to the average WMT shopper.

Maybe I missed something while sleeping; why is there a need to extend the OCI on our engines?
What happened to changing at 3k, 5k or 7k miles; fresh oil and a new filter until next time.

Originally Posted By: theeagleflies
Maybe I missed something while sleeping; why is there a need to extend the OCI on our engines?
What happened to changing at 3k, 5k or 7k miles; fresh oil and a new filter until next time.

Saving money, saving time. I'd pay a pretty penny to find some oil that would last a million miles.
Of course if the increased cost was to much it wouldn't be worth it.

Nice clear explanation that is probably spot-on.
I am also looking foward to it being discontinued and clearance priced.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
I don't think the price is a big jump. Ypu need to compare apples to apples, or MSRP to MSRP.

Walk into Autozone or Advanced Auto or whatever is your parts store. Regular M1 on the shelf is $10 a quart MSRP. So the $12/quart is only a 20% upcharge.

It is not fair to compare MSRP to lowest discount or walmart loss-leader prices.

Last edited:
I am not sure why you would think it would be discontinued!? They are not making it in the quantities of extended thats for sure. They are simply trying to sell more oil. They want the guys who buy the top shelf stuff buying M1 not Amsoil or Pennzoil Platinum. $50 is high IMO i assumed it would be $39.99 at the most but they claim a lot about this oil. If tou go to their site they have it a full star better than extended in wear and turbocharger protection. They claim its turbocharger performance is very very good. Instill doubt it will beat a true group 4 like Amsoil or Redline. Amsoil can be gotten for $33 per gallon so for the average guy its $42 plus $12 for filter. So... thats like $55 to have a uber good oil and for most of us who know how simple it is to change tour own oil that is far less than most people pay for a synthetic oil change with lesser oil abd lesser filters! I also dont agree on that u can buy good group 3 oils and change them more often and be just as well off as with a group 4. A lot of these group 4 and 5 oils offer more protection at 7k miles than the group 3's do out of the bottle. I am not keen on the facination people have with paying $20 for group 3. So what u save $250 over the life of your vehicle. A engine costs 3-5k and the extra life u get out of it will more than make up that gap. This is especially for performance cars with high compression and or charged.

I also dont understand why people on here keep saying just follow your oil life meter!? Most of these go off of things like ambient temps, engine revs and other stuff.. these do not monitore the actual oil. It does not sample it at all it us just using algorithms to determine how severe duty your current oil change is being out through. It has bo clue if you have conventional or group 4. At least everyone i have seen does it that way. If there was a version that really did monitor the viscocity and amount of soot in the oil, and amount of contaminets that would be ideal but i dont think they work like that.

In regard to the guy who said it's not fair to compare Wal-Mart to other stores.... Um, not hating at all, but your argument makes no sense. How is this not fair? A price tag is a price tag...it doesn't care what store shelf it's attached to.
Wal-Mart, like it or not, is the 800lb gorilla of the retail market. As such, it bears tremendous pressure on it's suppliers to cut their margins razor thin. Other retailers can't match their prices because they can't move as much product.

When you buy a new car, do you seek out the dealer who won't budge off MSRP to be fair? No? So why do it for necessities?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
I look forward to this being discontinued and subsequently marked down at my local Walmart.
Imagine the AutoZone sale at xmas $$$$ can't wait

I guess discontinued was a poor choice of word. I should say I wait for Walmart to stop carrying it and discount it. I also feel it's Mobil's answer to Amsoil. I think it will suffer at Walmart being priced so much higher than EP or other Mobil flavors.

I don't want it discontinued. I'd like to see a VOA & UOA and go from there. I expect the price to come down to $30-35 or so. Then we could decide if we want to use EP or AP. I just got a special on the EP oil and filter and will run that for about 12-13k miles and see how it does. If AP is great, I wouldn't mind trying it either at the right price.

Stop hating on it. Give AP a chance to prove itself.

I don't believe that this $50 per 5 qt oil will protect any better at 7k miles in many applications. There are MANY examples in the UOA section where group 3s with maybe a bit of group 4 oils protect the motors just fine 7k and well past that as well. In fact one of our members on here went 14k miles on conventional Mobil Super and the oil did a great job in his truck.

I do think that the advantage of this super oil can be that it can hold up for a very, very long time in certain applications. It would maintain its cold performance and maintain its hot viscosity very well into a very long run too. Though there are circumstances where even a great oil like this cannot or should not be run for a very long run. Cars under manufacturer warranty, direct injection motors with turbos may not I have no doubt that this Mobil Annual Performance oil is a great oil. Mobil Super Synthetic is a very good oil in my opinion as well. I think Mobil "over engineers" their oils in each tier of products they make. And the Mobil Annual Performance would be done the very same way.

I just think $50 is way too high of a price for a overwhelming majority of Walmart shoppers. Even at $34.97 it would be tough sledding to sell this oil. I have long noticed that any oil prices over $25 sells much slower than the oils priced less than that. But at $34.97 at least it would have a fighting chance.

Either way anyone on here who is perfectly content using vavoline syn power or a cheaper group 3 (probably one of the best quality to price ratios there is) you should be happy M1 came out with this! First now other brands will try to comeout with there own (annual oil) second the more high end stuff come out the cheaper the midgrade stuff will be. Slowly conventional will be phased out and it will only be availablenin a blend.. also i have seen people refer to conventional as dino... and group 3 is also dino. Only group 4 and 5 are truly synthetic. Even though group 3 is technically synthetic because the re arange the molecules it is still a crude oil by product.
( i am aware that the majority of people on here are well aware of this but some are not)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pitty
I am not sure why you would think it would be discontinued!? They are not making it in the quantities of extended thats for sure. They are simply trying to sell more oil. They want the guys who buy the top shelf stuff buying M1 not Amsoil or Pennzoil Platinum. $50 is high IMO i assumed it would be $39.99 at the most but they claim a lot about this oil. If tou go to their site they have it a full star better than extended in wear and turbocharger protection. They claim its turbocharger performance is very very good. Instill doubt it will beat a true group 4 like Amsoil or Redline. Amsoil can be gotten for $33 per gallon so for the average guy its $42 plus $12 for filter. So... thats like $55 to have a uber good oil and for most of us who know how simple it is to change tour own oil that is far less than most people pay for a synthetic oil change with lesser oil abd lesser filters! I also dont agree on that u can buy good group 3 oils and change them more often and be just as well off as with a group 4. A lot of these group 4 and 5 oils offer more protection at 7k miles than the group 3's do out of the bottle. I am not keen on the facination people have with paying $20 for group 3. So what u save $250 over the life of your vehicle. A engine costs 3-5k and the extra life u get out of it will more than make up that gap. This is especially for performance cars with high compression and or charged.

yeah no doubt, my mom just used conv oil in her 03 accord and only got 250k miles out of it at the time her grandson wreaked it.(ran great btw) just think if she was using redline/amsoil and it was still on the road today. 300-400k for sure right? conv oil maybe just make it to 275k right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back