M1 and sticking lifter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinions please.

My folks own a 2001 Lexus IS300 with the 2JZ 3.0 I6. Car was bought new and my Dad was religious with oil changes every 3-5k miles with M1 5w30 silver cap since new.

The Lexus now has 130k miles on it and my Mom went to start the car the other morning and my Dad and I heard the worst lifter noise. Like a lifter was actually stuck in place.

My Dad went to pep boys bought a bottle of gunk engine flush. This resolved the issue completely. My Dad has now switched to PP 5w30 per my recommendation.

How could a lifter get plugged up using M1 at the intervals mentioned? Makes no sense to me.

Any ideas?

Jeff

Dirty oil deposits,low oil pressure and a bent pushrod will cause a sticky lifter.

In your case it was dirty lifter most likely,it happens.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: bvance554
At that OCI i doubt it would have made a difference what oil he used.

I agree but M1 was used. Seems M1 detergentcy or something isn't up to par.

Shouldn't be deposit formation on oil changed this often and on a car that is taken care of this well.

This is one of Toyotas best produced engines to date IMO just thought it was odd.

No known issue like this in this motor. My Dad is off the M1 bandwagon though after using their products since the 80's after this. His choice. I suggested using the gold cap M1 but he said no. So I suggested PU but too hard to find. So he went with PP.

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DragRace
Dirty oil deposits,low oil pressure and a bent pushrod will cause a sticky lifter.

In your case it was dirty lifter most likely,it happens.
56.gif

The lifter will also bleed out and not retain oil if the oil is too thin.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Any ideas?

Correlation does not imply causation.

That applies to almost all posts though.

Everything is subjective. This car though could pass for new is that pristine.

I could see it if it was abused. This is most certainly not the case.

It's just curious to me.

Jeff

Somebody is always having a problem with M1 5W-30. I don't know what it is about that oil, but it's the subject of discussion whenever somebody has a noise complaint. There's been complaints when using the M1 10W-30 viscosity too, but never the high mileage version of that oil.

I could see it if it was abused. This is most certainly not the case.

It's just curious to me.

Jeff

Could be a small piece of crud that stuck the lifter or it could be leaky. You won't know unless you pull the cover and inspect. I have had one lifter fail on two engines at under 20,000 miles. Replaced the bad one and each engine went well over 100k with no other noise. I doubt it is oil related.

Last edited:
To blame oil without knowing what happened is a bit premature. Oil filter might be a possibility, a rip or not filtering well, allowing larger particles to circulate.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Somebody is always having a problem with M1 5W-30.

There - fixed it for you.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
To blame oil without knowing what happened is a bit premature. Oil filter might be a possibility, a rip or not filtering well, allowing larger particles to circulate.

+1
what filters were used? Isn't just as likely a filter issue as an oil issue?

My 99 Aurora, which doesn't get started much, always has a lifter tick until it warms up. If I drive it more, no tick. I use M1 5W-30, very doubtful it's the oil. It's the most quiet oil I've encountered on many used cars. I haven't cranked the Aurora in 6 months, when I drive it in the spring it will tick for a while....no big deal.

Originally Posted By: Jiblet
Originally Posted By: Rolla07

+1
what filters were used? Isn't just as likely a filter issue as an oil issue?

+2

As for filters my Dad has been using K&N's for the past 10yrs on this car. The one with the nut on the casing?

Made it easier to change on this application. Anyone with a IS300 will know what I'm talking about.

This noise was not just lifter tick this was horribly loud like something was stuck.

Since the engine flush and refill with PP they went on a trip this week and drove over 1500 miles. No issues as of yet.

If the noise doesn't come back in let's say 10k miles the chances are It was the oil.

No matter though he won't be using M1 again I'm sure. Just how my Dad is. Can't say I blame him either.

Jeff

Opinions please.

My folks own a 2001 Lexus IS300 with the 2JZ 3.0 I6. Car was bought new and my Dad was religious with oil changes every 3-5k miles with M1 5w30 silver cap since new.

The Lexus now has 130k miles on it and my Mom went to start the car the other morning and my Dad and I heard the worst lifter noise. Like a lifter was actually stuck in place.

My Dad went to pep boys bought a bottle of gunk engine flush. This resolved the issue completely. My Dad has now switched to PP 5w30 per my recommendation.

How could a lifter get plugged up using M1 at the intervals mentioned? Makes no sense to me.

Any ideas?

Jeff

The engine uses buckets, not lifters (though I do understand people love to use the terms interchangeably). And I don't believe they are even hydraulic based on this picture:

Buckets.jpg

Which means the noise you heard was something else. Probably something to do with the filter draining, as others have noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back