M1 AFE 0W16, 5178 mi OCI, 2021 Toyota Sienna Hybrid A25A-FXS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

Got a report back from my very first UOA. Had heard of Blackstone services a long time ago and now finally have a reason to use them.

Obviously the crankcase dilution is concerning but after doing a lot of reading on this forum and elsewhere on the internet it appears a long drive using the ICE continuously and holding the engine temperature at a it's peak operating temperature for a sustained period before draining and sampling the oil may alleviate the fuel value. On this oil change I made a 16 minute 8.5 km drive to my father-in-law's place to perform the service.

Prior to this oil change I drained the factory oil at 1,788 kms (1,111 mi).

My plan is take the M1 AFE in the crankcase now to about 14,000 km (8,700 mi) and test again to see how realistic the Toyota-recommended interval of 16,000 km (10,000 mi) is for my usage. Had someone at siennachat.com respond that OCI would be "pushing it" as a new engine has loose oil control rings that can be jammed up with dirty oil. I prefer to make OCI decisions moving forward with UOAs. I feel like there is a large segment of automotive enthusiasts out there who cannot shake the old change-dino-oil-every-3,000 mi-or-4-months mentality.

My use is primarily urban with only 10% highway. I have tried to squeeze the most fuel economy out of the vehicle by using the ICE as little as possible (coasting, very light and gradual throttle application). Since getting the van last summer I have averaged 32 mpg, with a high of 39 mpg in the summer and lows of 25 mpg in the winter (ICE runs more when outside ambient temperature is low). Pretty good for an 8 person family hauler that can also transport 8' fence posts and box springs! We're super happy with the purchase.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220421-020450_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220421-020450_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 526
Report says you ran it 8300 mules not 5200. Imo you don't want to run this oil further. It's waaay too thin in viscosity at 4.09. Try the 0w-20 and run it no more than 5,000. .02

Report says you ran it 8300 mules not 5200. Imo you don't want to run this oil further. It's waaay too thin in viscosity at 4.09. Try the 0w-20 and run it no more than 5,000. .02
I provided Blackstone with the use in kilometres. I did the conversion on the title for all our American friends.

I have read elsewhere the suggestion of using a thicker oil. But with the amount of driving we do, I feel like over the course of a year there would be significant variation in the fuel content and the resulting viscosity. So the idea of a 0w16 in the winter and a 0w20 in the summer is not practical for us. But like I said I'll be relying on a UOA at 8,700 mi to see if the factory recommended 10,000 mi/one year OCI (whichever comes first) is right for our use.

Reactions: FZ1
I provided Blackstone with the use in kilometres. I did the conversion on the title for all our American friends.

I have read elsewhere the suggestion of using a thicker oil. But with the amount of driving we do, I feel like over the course of a year there would be significant variation in the fuel content and the resulting viscosity. So the idea of a 0w16 in the winter and a 0w20 in the summer is not practical for us. But like I said I'll be relying on a UOA at 8,700 mi to see if the factory recommended 10,000 mi/one year OCI (whichever comes first) is right for our use.
Oh, I see re the k.

I don't understand what you’re saying there?

My use is primarily urban with only 10% highway.

With this in mind I would change every 5000 miles.

Obviously the crankcase dilution is concerning but after doing a lot of reading on this forum and elsewhere on the internet it appears a long drive using the ICE continuously and holding the engine temperature at a it's peak operating temperature for a sustained period before draining and sampling the oil may alleviate the fuel value. On this oil change I made a 16 minute 8.5 km drive to my father-in-law's place to perform the service.

Did you consider that 8.5km drive a long trip? That is far from being a long trip.

Your new van is being severely short tripped and the UOA shows it.

I don’t know if that will help. Isn’t the damage already done once the fuel contamination is present?

Couldn’t hurt and might help! Still breaking in. Engine needs to be run-in.

Have the same van and love it as well. It’s a solid hauler and outstanding road trip vehicle.

Ours gets a 5,000 miles OCI regardless. Once pushed it to 6,000 while traveling, but no further. Even on the highway the ICE is constantly shutting off and turning on. And it’s a four cylinder pushing 5,000lbs+ to boot. Yes the electric motors help but still that 4 banger is working hard to push that big body around. It ain’t a Prius’ curb weight. Watch the Energy Monitor Screen for awhile, the ICE is under some serious load even when cruising at hwy speeds. You can see and hear it.

No thank you to extended drains for me.

And people say the Honda 1.5T is bad…
I’m not convinced it’s the engine design so much as being a hybrid and the OP hypermilling.

When our Sienna starts first thing in the morning you can hear the DI system clacking and the ICE maintaining high RPM. Unfortunately the ICE won’t stay on long enough to get up to operating temp unless driven for awhile. It is constantly turning off and on. If the OP is deliberately trying to avoid using the ICE it may rarely turn on. And therefore never get up to temp. He very well might be causing a DI only, cold start/stop, short trip under heavy load situation every time he drives… That’s hell on the earth for any engine or motor oil.

Viscosity very low however the engine is still new so there's wear in particles. But since it looks like you've done an oil change and this is not the factory fill that wear is pretty high for a hybrid. I would change the oil at 5k and do another UOA.

I have 200,000 miles of experience with the M20A-FKS/M20A-FXS engine. ie the 2.0L version, hybrid & non hybrid.

Dynamic Force D-4S is solid, my friend. In my view fuel dilution is not an issue.

Look at your wear numbers ! M1 AFE 0w16 SP GF-6B.5K mile OCI. 5 quart jug at Walmart. Decent oil filter. Perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back