M1 5w40 Euro SP (2023)

"We can re-test the viscosity, though there's a window for what the viscosity "should" be, and the viscosity of 11.91 cSt fell in that window. I'll have the lab run it again and update the report if it's noticeably different."

These incompetent numskulls need retraining. How can you work in an oil lab and not even know the oil grades? Pathetic.

I would reply with just an SAE J300 chart and nothing else. See if he can figure it out.
I have sent him the latest J300 definition, asking if their definition of a 40 weight oil is different for some reason.

I have sent him the latest J300 definition, asking if their definition of a 40 weight oil is different for some reason.
It’s some random tech that works at Blackstone, I don’t think they care that much. It’s also pretty on target for a 40 given Blackstone’s inability to measure KV100 correctly 🤣.

Are the SP forumulation a decrease in cal and an increase in magnesium? How does this change from a wear metals perspective?

What I worry about is how many Blackstone customers, who aren't versed in oils, look at the elementals like a deer in headlights and blindly follow the commentary. They're putting trust of a personal vehicle or company fleet in the hands of a rookie tech who can't tell you anything beyond the pre-scripted sheet in front of them. I bet if you told him to look up SAE J300, he'd probably ask himself "What's that?"

Are the SP forumulation a decrease in cal and an increase in magnesium? How does this change from a wear metals perspective?

It doesn't change it much, if any. It's more so a measure for low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) prevention. Keeping Ca under 1500 ppm keeps detonation at bay so an increase in Mg is warranted to get the same TBN / DI reserve. It's a bandaid more than anything. The more effective way to prevent LSPI is to increase ZDDP and MoDTC along with a slug of ester, but API won't allow that.

It doesn't change it much, if any. It's more so a measure for low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) prevention. Keeping Ca under 1500 ppm keeps detonation at bay so an increase in Mg is warranted to get the same TBN / DI reserve. It's a bandaid more than anything. The more effective way to prevent LSPI is to increase ZDDP and MoDTC along with a slug of ester, but API won't allow that.
The oil that can pre-detonate when it mixes with gasoline, that's what is introduced through the PCV system, right?

Last edited:
What is the downside of Mg, increased friction?

It’s some random tech that works at Blackstone, I don’t think they care that much. It’s also pretty on target for a 40 given Blackstone’s inability to measure KV100 correctly 🤣.
FWIW, they're a writer, not someone with a technical background. I doubt they care at all.

I knew their fuel dilution measurements weren't reliable but didn't know they were regarded this poorly. I've only really looked at wear metals and additives, I am not worried about the viscosity number on a virgin sample. M1 will at least give me that value, but ZDDP numbers on the new SP bottle was unknown.

What is the downside of Mg, increased friction?

There shouldn't be any change in friction coefficient. Mg detergents are usually in the form of overbased magnesium sulfonate which shares a common core with a common OTC pharmaceutical product called Milk of Magnesia. (Also the core of Epsom salt) Ca detergents are much the same (overbased calcium sulfonate/salt, aka "Tums"). The same way they neutralize acids in your gut that cause heartburn and indigestion, they neutralize acids in the oil that cause oxidation and corrosion. Ca detergents tend to be more "broad" in terms of what acids they're neutralize, thus you can't get rid of Ca completely. Mg is complimentary to Ca, not a replacement, so that would be the downside of Mg.

That, and include the screenshot of the M1 spec page further up where it shows viscosity of 13.2. That should drive the point home.
Revised report back, identical metals, new viscosity run:
Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 4.50.35 PM.jpg

I would send another sample to someone else before assuming the KV100 is wrong.
Yeah, if you feel like spending more money, I'd try Oil Analyzers. I put it in the VOA Database with the updated viscosity (from 11.91 to 11.95). I suppose that could be right, but it seems too low...

Yeah, if you feel like spending more money, I'd try Oil Analyzers. I put it in the VOA Database with the updated viscosity (from 11.91 to 11.95). I suppose that could be right, but it seems too low...
Mobil wouldn't let that batch go out the door with the wrong viscosity. It's simple quality control, and no one botches something like that. I would not put it in the VOA database, as it will mislead others in the future.

Didn’t Blackstone warned few years back that their VOA will have higher margin of error as they are focusing more on UOA (their words, not mine)?

Didn’t Blackstone warned few years back that their VOA will have higher margin of error as they are focusing more on UOA (their words, not mine)?
That is, without a shadow of a doubt, unequivocally, indisputably, and in every conceivable way, utterly nonsensical. In fact, it makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine.

Back