Castrol EDGE Euro Car 5W40 A3/B4 API SP

Strong oil; don’t see TBN that high very often.
The >10 TBN is part of the A3/B4 approval.
a3b4.jpg

Are you saying you'd select the 0w40 over the 5w40 for applications that call for it that have the same certs?

I'm not sure I've seen 5 qts of the 0w40, but to be fair I don't know if I've specifically looked for it. I used to run the 0w30 in my LS1 powered GTO.
Castrol 0W40 can't pass the current BMW LL-01 tests. I ran that oil for the previous 70k in my Q5, but there is no reason to use it anymore vs. the current M1 0W-40, Castrol 5W-40 and PP/QS 5W-40.

For all the discussions we have here, in the end OEM approvals are the only actual indicator of performance for one product vs another.

Thanks @himemsys for posting this voa. This new Castrol 5W-40 'looks' very similar to M1 0W-40 now with the highest boron and moly I can recall seeing in a Castrol euro oil.

Last edited:
Thank himemsys.
It's the same Castrol Euro 5w40 that I have in my Signature for sale. I bought it on a whim and days later decided I wanted HPL for the Hyundai 2.4.

Castrol decided to make an oil that is step below. It is a Group III oil, while 0W30/40 are PAO-based. This is especially true for 0W30, which is still Castrol's premier product.
5W40 was always "we can get away with it" oil.
Other than cold flow, how is PAO exactly impacting the performance of the motor oil negatively, especially since Group III base oils have better additive response and don't necessitate ANs or Esters to formulate motor oil? Does PAO have better anti wear capabilities versus Group III?

Other than cold flow, how is PAO exactly impacting the performance of the motor oil negatively, especially since Group III base oils have better additive response and don't necessitate ANs or Esters to formulate motor oil? Does PAO have better anti wear capabilities versus Group III?
Those oils are more shear stable, have higher HTHS in relation to KV100.
Also, those oils also have GRIII base stocks, precisely for the reasons you mentioned.
Been discussed numerous times.

Those oils are more shear stable, have higher HTHS in relation to KV100.
Also, those oils also have GRIII base stocks, precisely for the reasons you mentioned.
Been discussed numerous times.
The one thing that seems obvious is that Castrol is using an "off the shelf" additive package for the 5W-40. It doesn't look like an in-house development, or something custom made for them by Infineum or one of the other suppliers. I say that because Titanium is completely missing, and the rest of the values look pretty bland and cookie-cutter.

The one thing that seems obvious is that Castrol is using an "off the shelf" additive package for the 5W-40. It doesn't look like an in-house development, or something custom made for them by Infineum or one of the other suppliers. I say that because Titanium is completely missing, and the rest of the values look pretty bland and cookie-cutter.
Castrol dropped Titanium from all oils several years ago. I think it was something about not mixing well with ZDDP.

Castrol dropped Titanium from all oils several years ago. I think it was something about not mixing well with ZDDP.
The VOA Database has several recent Castrol VOAs with Titanium. In fact, the only ones that do NOT have Titanium is the one in this thread, GTX Magnatec from 2020, and GTX Synthetic from 2022. See:

It looks almost exactly like the latest Mobil 1 0W40 (API SP). See the VOA Database in the previous post.

Back