Castrol EDGE Euro Car 5W40 A3/B4 API SP

Very interesting...approvals for both ACEA A3/B4 and API SP, so suitable in engines that are prone to LSPI.

Other approvals include:
BMW LL-01
MB 229.3/229.5
Porsche A40
Renault RN0700/RN0710
VW 502 00/505 00

Meets engine test requirements of Chrysler MS-12991
Suitable for use in MB 226.5

No Titanium, though to be fair, the word "titanium" doesn't appear anywhere on the bottle.

CASTROL-EURO-5W40-A3_B4-API-SP-I-633371-Sev0.jpg

This is the most recent formulation I’ve seen and it looks strong. Detergent at 2500 ppm, zddp at the top of allowed limits and moly instead of ti. When you see moly at that level it is usually trimer as well.

About the only downside (to some) is it is likely all Grp III.

The 0W40 is API SN and the 0W30 is API SL. There is no SP version of either, which means they aren't suitable for engines prone to LSPI. But they are still great oils in their intended applications.
European engines are very rarely prone to it. There are some instances, but no overall issue.
If you are looking oil to address LSPI, look one that has MB229.52 approval.

This is a step below Castrol Edge 0W40 and 0W30.
It si your average 5W40 with Euro approvals.
Are you saying you'd select the 0w40 over the 5w40 for applications that call for it that have the same certs?

I'm not sure I've seen 5 qts of the 0w40, but to be fair I don't know if I've specifically looked for it. I used to run the 0w30 in my LS1 powered GTO.

Are you saying you'd select the 0w40 over the 5w40 for applications that call for it that have the same certs?

I'm not sure I've seen 5 qts of the 0w40, but to be fair I don't know if I've specifically looked for it. I used to run the 0w30 in my LS1 powered GTO.
Absolutely! But, European vehicles call for approval, not grade, except in very few instances.
0W40 is around 50% PAO. I used it on track, 5k OCI, excellent results. 0W30 is basically just bit thinner version with lower Noack.

Absolutely! But, European vehicles call for approval, not grade, except in very few instances.
0W40 is around 50% PAO. I used it on track, 5k OCI, excellent results. 0W30 is basically just bit thinner version with lower Noack.
I'm just covering VW502. I've only bought the 5w40 once. The other couple of times I've changed the oil myself I've used Mobil 1 0w40 because it's easier to come by here. I'll have to look for the Castrol. I normally take it to the dealer if it's due for any bigger services but standard oil change with them is $100 and I'd rather do it myself.

[QUOTE="I The point of Edge was Ti in the formula as a top tier oil. Fail
[/QUOTE]
Didn't the Euro versions always skip the titanium even when the original titanium branded oil came out? I'm sure there must have been a reason for it.

[QUOTE="I The point of Edge was Ti in the formula as a top tier oil. Fail
[/QUOTE]
Not really. Edge was marketing move from Syntec. Ti was there just few years.
Syntec 0W30 was always most favorable oil by Euro enthusiasts, so called “German Castrol.” It was only XW30 oil with Porsche A40 approval at that time. It was always more preferable to Mobil1 0W40.
Castrol introduced later 0W40, which was always available in Europe. That was simply marketing to make it better positioned against M1 0W40.
5W40 was always “lesser” oil. It was oil that Castrol could get away with. For numerous years while other oils had MB229.5, including 0W30 Castrol, 5W40 was carrying MB229.1 and later MB229.3. It has MB229.5 only last 4 years. They make more money on it, they don’t import it etc.

European engines are very rarely prone to it. There are some instances, but no overall issue.
If you are looking oil to address LSPI, look one that has MB229.52 approval.
One of the two main improvements to API SP was LSPI protection. The other was timing chain wear protection. While 229.52 is also LSPI mitigating, that doesn't mean an A3/B4 oil that is also API SP is not a good choice for TGDI engines.

One of the two main improvements to API SP was LSPI protection. The other was timing chain wear protection. While 229.52 is also LSPI mitigating, that doesn't mean an A3/B4 oil that is also API SP is not a good choice for TGDI engines.
I am very well aware what is API SP. Most MB229.52 oils are not SP, nor it matters. All of those Euro approvals are far more stringent than API SP. in addition, it is not just calcium. It is balance of additives. Just bcs. oil is API SL doesn’t mean it is LSP prone. This LSPI thing was exacerbated by API requirements in SM and later specifications, which limited zinc and phosphorus levels in certain grades. ACEA oils never fallowed that. What in particular you are concerned? What engine?

Last edited:
Didn't the Euro versions always skip the titanium even when the original titanium branded oil came out? I'm sure there must have been a reason for it.

Not sure if they had it when Castrol first started using Ti, but later on both the 0w40 and 5w40 had Ti, usually about 30 ppm IIRC. Ti was an alternative to moly, and it sounded great in marketing which Castrol just can't resist that sort of thing. I see they are back to moly though.

The VW dealer 502 version of the 5w40 never had Ti, which made it easy to spot in UOA's. It was not the same as the commercial version sold at Walmart, but they were often confused. The Walmart version had Ti and a lot more approvals than just 502.

This is a yet another new version above. Looks good.

I am very well aware what is API SP. Most MB229.52 oils are not SP, nor it matters. All of those Euro approvals are far more stringent than API SP. in addition, it is not just calcium. It is balance of additives. Just bcs. oil is API SL doesn’t mean it is LSP prone. This LSPI thing was exacerbated by API requirements in SM and later specifications, which limited zinc and phosphorus levels in certain grades. ACEA oils never fallowed that. What in particular you are concerned? What engine?
I am not concerned and not about any particular engine.

I said this oil is API SP so it is LSPI mitigating so safe to use on newer TGDI engines, despite being an ACEA A3/B4 oil.

You said if you want LSPI mitigating, use 229.52 oils. The implication being that 229.52 is better than A3/B4/API SP.

I said "While 229.52 is also LSPI mitigating, that doesn't mean an A3/B4 oil that is also API SP is not a good choice for TGDI engines."

That's pretty much all I meant.

Back