M1 5w40 Euro SP (2023)

m1 5w40 sp voa.jpg

Thank you for posting this. I am reasonably sure that Blackstone Labs got the kinematic viscosity at 100°C wrong. It can happen sometimes. Could you please reach out to Blackstone and ask them to retest it?

These are the typical properties and OEM approvals advertised by Mobil:

1710546406290.jpg

1710546429274.jpg

Thank you for posting this. I am reasonably sure that Blackstone Labs got the kinematic viscosity at 100°C wrong. It can happen sometimes. Could you please reach out to Blackstone and ask them to retest it?

These are the typical properties and OEM approvals advertised by Mobil:

View attachment 208520

View attachment 208521
I have asked them to do so.

Retesting is pointless. BS is notorious to fail in KV. Not an exception but a habit.
No doubt whatsoever Mobil's product sheet is much closer to the truth.
KV100 13.2 mm2/s = cSt? Just believe it. Does it even matter?

Retesting is pointless. BS is notorious to fail in KV. Not an exception but a habit.
No doubt whatsoever Mobil's product sheet is much closer to the truth.
KV100 13.2 mm2/s = cSt? Just believe it. Does it even matter?
I don't know why so many people still use BS. The NAPA ALS test kit is less expensive and they do tan and tbn included.

I don't know why so many people still use BS. The NAPA ALS test kit is less expensive and they do tan and tbn included.
I guess we'll never know, but I'd be curious to know if they will actually retest KV100, or just "correct" their mistake.

To illustrate just how little attention they pay to what they do and recommend customers, they wrote this:

1710607795941.jpg

Well, it's on target for a 30-grade oil, that's for sure.

Their response:

We can re-test the viscosity, though there's a window for what the viscosity "should" be, and the viscosity of 11.91 cSt fell in that window. I'll have the lab run it again and update the report if it's noticeably different.

I will wait for the retest to be posted before adding this oil to the VOA Database.
Will post results once provided. I happened to have a bottle that was missing from your database, so hoped it would be helpful.

No, not at all. I'd be more interested in what the actual HTHS is, because if it's not higher than 0W-40, then what's the point in using it?
Are there any affordable test kits that cover HTHS?

"We can re-test the viscosity, though there's a window for what the viscosity "should" be, and the viscosity of 11.91 cSt fell in that window. I'll have the lab run it again and update the report if it's noticeably different."

These incompetent numskulls need retraining. How can you work in an oil lab and not even know the oil grades? Pathetic.

I would reply with just an SAE J300 chart and nothing else. See if he can figure it out.

Back