M1 5w40 Euro SP (2023)

Didn’t Blackstone warned few years back that their VOA will have higher margin of error as they are focusing more on UOA (their words, not mine)?
I don't recall ever hearing that. That sounds like something a Blackstone hater made up to fuel the fire. If it's "their words" then I'd like to see the source.

Didn’t Blackstone warned few years back that their VOA will have higher margin of error as they are focusing more on UOA (their words, not mine)?
I believe that was with regards to their TBN method.

I believe that was with regards to their TBN method.
I don't even think it's that. They use D4739 which is different than D2896. But the method they use is the same as most over oil analysis labs. D2896 is only spec'd to be used on new oil for comparison to other new oil. It cannot be used on used oil, so most oil analysis labs use D4739, which can be used on both new and used oils, thus creating a direct comparison to usage and TBN drop.

Guys, please stop with the "I heard..." rumors unless you can back up what your saying with documentation.

I don't recall ever hearing that. That sounds like something a Blackstone hater made up to fuel the fire. If it's "their words" then I'd like to see the source.
Listen, I use them bcs. convenience, and I don't need interpretation. I am just saying that a few years back, there was a post about it.

That is, without a shadow of a doubt, unequivocally, indisputably, and in every conceivable way, utterly nonsensical. In fact, it makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine.
Why? They get free baseline data, from a paying customer no less.

That is, without a shadow of a doubt, unequivocally, indisputably, and in every conceivable way, utterly nonsensical. In fact, it makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine.
Yes an ASTM test gives precision and bias as part of the statistical analysis of the test method. It isn't dependent on the sample.

If they are using a different method for VOA as opposed to UOA then that's something entirely different.

Last edited:
Yeah, if you feel like spending more money, I'd try Oil Analyzers. I put it in the VOA Database with the updated viscosity (from 11.91 to 11.95). I suppose that could be right, but it seems too low...
Yeah, if someone else wants to spend their money.
Listen, I use them bcs. convenience, and I don't need interpretation. I am just saying that a few years back, there was a post about it.
Same, I had one laying around, noticed the database was missing one of the oils I had, figured I'd try to contribute. As mentioned, I was just curious how much zinc/phos they'd cut from the SP revision.

Back