M1 5w30 4000 miles/ 01 Chev 2500hd 8.1L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed when OLM at 0. Tow 10k lb. trailer for over 1000 of these miles. I push pretty hard over the mountain passes. Quite a bit of slow off road driving on hunting trips for this OCI also. Have KN cold air intake. This truck is used mostly for hunting, camping, hauling, not daily driver.

Are lead and iron numbers a concern for this usage and miles on motor? Should I try a 5w40 HDEO? Current fill is M1 5w30 T&SUV.

Blackstone Analysis

"Iron, from steel parts, was higher than the universal averages for this type of GM engine (which are based on a ~4,000-mile oil change interval) and might be a sign of some excess wear. Lead, from bearings, was also higher than average but not at a cautionary level. Both may be due to your Chevy's engine showing its age at 162,830 miles or it could be from something operational like towing or hauling heavy loads. The TBN was 4.6, showing lots of active additive left. All else looked good. Try another 4k-mile oil run and check back to monitor before extending oil use."

M on oil 4004
M on unit 162,830
Sample Date 2/9/08
Make up 1qt

This Analysis and Univ Avg

Aluminum 5 3
Chromium 0 0
Iron 29 13
Copper 5 11
Lead 20 13
Tin 1 1
Molybdenum 84 61
Nickel 1 1
Manganese 5 1
Silver 0 0
Titanium 0 0
Potassium 2 1
Boron 50 43
Silicon 6 13
Sodium 5 6
Calcium 2545 2215
Magnesium 14 69
Phosphorus 628 721
Zinc 794 890
Barium 0 0

SUS Visc @210F 62.5
cST Visc @100C 10.93
Flashpoint F 405
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.4
TBN 4.6

It's out of warranty so you the sky is the limit on oil choice. 20 for lead in a high mileage engine with a common oil means it's probably not leaching soft metals into the oil, it's probably bad, old-fashioned mechanical wear.

Your usage of this truck sounds like it fits the heavy duty description. I'd definitely use an oil with a higher viscosity and not one that starts high and shears down.

I forgot to add that when towing I use octane booster on premium fuel because of a little pinging. I think I read something here about high lead results when using fuel additives. Regardless, I assume the miles and my usage warrant a heavier weight.

Do you know the octane booster brand? I think some of them do have some lead in them and you may be able to find out if yours does by searching the UOA and VOA forums for it.

Maybe you don't need higher viscosity, depending on that answer.

Pinging? Shouldn't happen in a healthy engine, especially with high octane gas. Something needs fixing. Oil choice was probably fine.

Carbon buildup?

most octane boost was pyroil.

truck bought used at 145k miles, I've always beleived it has carbon buildup. I'm new to BITOG, only learned from this forum recently about seafoam. So may give a shot.

M1 has so often shown high iron readings that it's been mentioned here a lot. Fueltankerman once said it was because it didn't protect against rust as well as others. Any possible truth to that? If not then it seems it must allow more iron wear, which would I imagine be worse.

Then again everything looks pretty high on this engine. Lead, for example, and aluminum. Why not try a good regular conventional or maybe Maxlife blend, given the mileage?

Save your money on the Seafoam. Use water injection to clean out any carbon, and I'd go with a HDEO 40-weight....like D1, if you're partial to Mobil products......

Quote:
Fueltankerman once said it was because it didn't protect against rust as well as others. Any possible truth to that?

It's hard to say and honestly, you really can't tell unless you do a tear down. It could be that M1 is just very good at sludge/deposit prevention as there is only limited space on the metal surfaces for both AW additives and detergents. Both compete for the surface. It's also one explanation for Redline's higher wear numbers until they supposedly stabilize.

M1 is one of 2 oils to meet Acura's turbo spec. M1 produced zero deposits in a turbo while all the others failed the test except PP. So who knows...

Originally Posted By: valvesucker
most octane boost was pyroil.

truck bought used at 145k miles, I've always beleived it has carbon buildup. I'm new to BITOG, only learned from this forum recently about seafoam. So may give a shot.

find some BG's 44K and double the conentration on a full tank then do a seafoam via a vacuum line.. then change the plugs afterwards. this should help.. also start using quality 87 octanes like at Texaco (with techron) or shell.. both use decent fuel additives to help keep your intakes clean

Mobil 1 E P was second only to...Surprise,Surprise!!! Amsoil in Amsoil's own tests. PP was 3rd. I would run any of these 3 oils without too much worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back