M1-101 disected

Status
Not open for further replies.
1998 Pontiac Firebird 3.8
In: 9/9/14 @ 106475
out 3/25/15 @ 110252
10w30 dino
1qt Motor Medic added b4 drain idle for 7 minutes

I have a few of the 201s for our Firebird, since they fit fine and hold more oil and have more media. I've used one last year. It might be worth looking into if you're feeling brave.
smile.gif
What I do is put in 5 quarts rather than 4.5 when using the oversized filter. More media, more oil, it's a win win IMO.

My car uses cartridge filters which I like - no need to rip them open. But when I see what you wipe out of the can with your finger it makes me wonder where that would go in a cartridge filter system.

OMG, wavy pleats on a Fram corp (really Champ) made filter at I thought from reading here that was limited to Purolator made products. Bottom line while unpleasing aesthetically, no effect on function.

As noted though it could be from moisture, frequently a cause of wavy pleating. And considering it's a GM/3.8L, the LIM gaskets if not already checked/replaced, might be worth looking at just to be safe. Just mention it because there is an example a few years ago of a member with very wavy pleats on a P1 on a 3.8L iirc with short fci. After some members mentioned it, sure enough turned out the gaskets needed replacement.

Beyond that, short tripping can also be a factor especially so in the cold months. Or it could just be some wavy pleats.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
OMG, wavy pleats on a Fram corp (really Champ) made filter at I thought from reading here that was limited to Purolator made products. Bottom line while unpleasing aesthetically, no effect on function.

As noted though it could be from moisture, frequently a cause of wavy pleating. And considering it's a GM/3.8L, the LIM gaskets if not already checked/replaced, might be worth looking at just to be safe. Just mention it because there is an example a few years ago of a member with very wavy pleats on a P1 on a 3.8L iirc with short fci. After some members mentioned it, sure enough turned out the gaskets needed replacement.

Beyond that, short tripping can also be a factor especially so in the cold months. Or it could just be some wavy pleats.

Thanks for the pics.

+1

OP I like your filter opening technique!

I like M1 oil, but the filters, not so much. Although wavy media is not the end of the world, are M1 filters not expensive enough that one would expect it not to be there? OP - thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: sayjac

Thanks for the pics.

+1

Leaking gaskets.. Good point.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm already down two strikes living in the Chicago area with the brutal winter and combined with the fact that I do short trip to work (10miles) it sucks.

THEN, i do have a intake leak! i get the coolant puddling on the upper intake but have been to lazy to do anything about it. Just keep checking the levels.

Would an intake leak cause excessive oil consumption? I have never had any coolant in the oil btw.

Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman
I have never had any coolant in the oil btw.

So are you saying, you have done at least one UOA and not seen high Sodium or more indicative high Potassium levels, or both?

Chances are imo, if you're seeing coolant on the outside then it is also migrating to/mixing with the oil. Especially considering 3.8 LIM gasket issues and what you are seeing, I'd say more than likely.

And yes, if the coolant is mixing with the oil, increased oil consumption could and likely would occur.

Ironic that wavy pleats here cause no fear from some, but if it were a cheaper filter, some of those same people might be freakin' out by now.

Not unlike people who eschew leaf-springs (over the preferred coil springs) to hold the filter element in place, and they complain about how "cheap" this leaf-spring technique is, but then they go eerily quiet when they open up an Amsoil EaO filter and find a leaf-spring in there ...

This filter did it's job, and exhibits no failure mode. I see nothing it did past what less expensive filters would have likely done as well for the conditions and duration.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bvance554
My car uses cartridge filters which I like - no need to rip them open. But when I see what you wipe out of the can with your finger it makes me wonder where that would go in a cartridge filter system.

I dislike cartridge filters for this exact reason. They filter out the mess...until you remove the filter and all the wear particles drain right back into the engine. Designed obsolescence if you ask me.

Toyota v6's seem to be the only ones with a good cartridge design. Atleast you can remove the whole cartridge housing in this design, wash out all the contaminants, THEN reinstall with new element.

I'm already down two strikes living in the Chicago area with the brutal winter and combined with the fact that I do short trip to work (10miles) it sucks.

THEN, i do have a intake leak! i get the coolant puddling on the upper intake but have been to lazy to do anything about it. Just keep checking the levels.

Would an intake leak cause excessive oil consumption? I have never had any coolant in the oil btw.

If nothing else, as others have said the short trips in cold winter conditions can certainly build-up condensation in the oil and wavy pleats in the filter. In this case, probably any filter would have some pleat waviness.

I've got an M-104 Mobil 1 oil filter on a 2005 Honda that been on for the last 3 years, my dad only drives 2500 miles per year.

I change the oil yearly but leave the oil filter on. Will cut open next year and post the photos.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

If nothing else, as others have said the short trips in cold winter conditions can certainly build-up condensation in the oil and wavy pleats in the filter. In this case, probably any filter would have some pleat waviness.

+1

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I like it too.
smile.gif

ROLEXrifleman, thanks for your effort in cutting the filter open and posting the pics.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Ironic that wavy pleats here cause no fear from some, but if it were a cheaper filter, some of those same people might be freakin' out by now.

Not unlike people who eschew leaf-springs (over the preferred coil springs) to hold the filter element in place, and they complain about how "cheap" this leaf-spring technique is, but then they go eerily quiet when they open up an Amsoil EaO filter and find a leaf-spring in there ...

This filter did it's job, and exhibits no failure mode. I see nothing it did past what less expensive filters would have likely done as well for the conditions and duration.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back