Taught some friends to shoot.

I will pay for ammo and range time personally for anyone on this forum that wants to learn how to shoot.
I firmly believe we need to actively keep the sport moving forward and with safety as a core.
I spend about an hour per weapon type in education and bench learning before we go to a range.

I hear this all the time, and believe you.

Ive had guns that were perfect for me but others terrible.

Are you local? 👍

Are you local? 👍

I'm in Penn Valley Ca. Not too far.

If you wanna come up sometime reach out.

I've taught many people how to shoot and cannot remember a time when everyone didn't have fun, especially my international visitors.

It's a little more fun in the fall doing it outdoors, but you can still have fun inside at a range.

Teaching a younger couple (pictured) how to shoot.

I continue to be wholly unimpressed with Glocks. I experienced 2 brand new 9's out of the box.

One never made it through more than 3 without some kind of jam, and the other stove piped once every 2 mags.
The little gal could barely rack the slide and clearing a jam was very difficult and therefore dangerous for her.

If I hadn't brought my ancient Mark 3 and SP 101 we wouldn't have gotten many rounds downrange.

My buddy claimed at the end of two hours - well, at least I know how to clear jams.

Our young friends showed up with all new everything guns matching active hearing protection...and the performance you'd expect from novices, but they had no egos and are willing to put in the time.

It's fun watching people improve in real time - The little gal was putting 10 in a 5 inch group at 15 feet then 20 then about 25.
Good deal.

I have been helping a female friend with her shooting skills as well. She is a PhD psychologist who works with both prosecutors and defense attorneys and is employed by the state to assess the state of mind of various individuals involved in crimes.

While she is well versed in the Martial Arts, she has had various threats during her tenure and a few times had to hold a threating individual (usually out on bail) at gunpoint until police arrived.

Would she have shot the individual had he or she advanced or not heeded her warnings? Knowing her, undoubtedly yes.

Good deal.

I have been helping a female friend with her shooting skills as well. She is a PhD psychologist who works with both prosecutors and defense attorneys and is employed by the state to assess the state of mind of various individuals involved in crimes.

While she is well versed in the Martial Arts, she has had various threats during her tenure and a few times had to hold a threating individual (usually out on bail) at gunpoint until police arrived.

Would she have shot the individual had he or she advanced or not heeded her warnings? Knowing her, undoubtedly yes.

Solid. Ensuring she can safely bring a weapon to fight requiring one.

This woman we took to the range is also our doctor. She's amazing.
Her personal journey is incredible - she's gone from jungles in Asia to medical school in California.
Her choices were not received well by many members in her community and she has become a target for their rage.
4th of july weekend a brother who is still angry for her breaking away from the family showed up unannounced at a family gathering assaulted her (punch her in the face and threw her to the ground) and then threatened to kill her family.

It's an awful reason to learn how to shoot, but they wasted no time arming themselves and learning how to shoot.

I gave them my copy of " in the gravest extreme" by one my favs Massad F Ayoob.

Last edited:
Solid. Ensuring she can safely bring a weapon to fight requiring one.

This woman we took to the range is also our doctor. She's amazing.
Her personal journey is incredible - she's gone from jungles in Asia to medical school in California.
Her choices were not received well by many members in her community and she has become a target for their rage.
4th of july weekend a brother who is still angry for her breaking away from the family showed up unannounced at a family gathering assaulted her (punch her in the face and threw her to the ground) and then threatened to kill her family.

It's an awful reason to learn how to shoot, but they wanted no time arming themselves and learning how to shoot.

I gave them my copy of " in the gravest extreme" by one my favs Massad F Ayoob.
An awful situation in which to find yourself.

That book is 40+ years old now, and still a great primer.

You’ve done her a great service in both respects.

Have trained several friends and family members on safety and target shooting. Glocks aren’t pretty but they work, they are easy to train others with.

I'm not a Glock fanboy but somehow ended up with 3 (one 26 and two 21s), they all have more than a couple thousand rounds through them and none have ever had a malfunction. I've shot them enough that I'm comfortable trusting my life to them, although I carry an FN509.

"Out of battery" means the magazine isn't fully seated. We were taught to tap the mag then rack the slide during malfunction drills. Must have heard "tap and rack" hundreds of times.

"Out of battery" means the magazine isn't fully seated. We were taught to tap the mag then rack the slide during malfunction drills. Must have heard "tap and rack" hundreds of times.

Then the range master and Duckryder had it wrong.

and...I'm clueless.

Sorry about your Glock experience. I have 5 with several thousand of rounds through them and not one stoppage. My father in the mud 90’s bought a Glock from factory with lazer sight built into the guide rod. Jam O Matic. Sent it back to Glock . Shop let him trade it on another pistol. Colt1911A1. Lol. I love 1911’s. Love them !!! But I have had more stoppages with them than any other center fire. I have sigs , HK, and various others. Most are pretty dam
Good pistols. G17 is my go to. G43 is my carry. Your Glock issues has three things like all jams related. Ammo , mags , limp wristing. That’s saying if it’s a stock factory pistol. Did you say something about cericoat? I have read a few having cycling issues when new. I was thinking a third party was involved in the coating. Not factory Glock. I could be wrong on that. It was years ago. That might not be the case today.

I have been showing a female friend how to shoot recently. Very interesting to try to gear it towards another person as opposed to what one is familiar with and used to. Definitely seen limpwristing be a thing and unfortunately for my wallet, her sweet spot seems to be 380 rather than cheaper 9.

It has been rewarding to see her improve on trigger finger discipline as it was scarily non-existent in the beginning.

So, let me chime in here that I got the privilege to shoot a Glock 44 (they call it a "range gun"???) And again it was as you say, about an hour safety and the remaining hour shooting.

By the end I was doing so well, the instructor enthusiastically and with a 4-letter word prefaced by it ("---- it") let me shoot 10 extra rounds past the 50 I suppose you were "allowed" lol!

And I accomplished this:
(And I was figuratively not literally in @dnewton3 backyard LOL. He probably knows all about exactly where I went to shoot. And I would go again!!!)

Interesting and of note: US 🇺🇸 recently ruled that "Convicted Felon in possession of a firearm" "ban" is "Unconstitutional" so... make of that what you will. I submit that everyone that can own a firearm, should. And, as mentioned, learn to shoot....

And OK yeah that was a .22 BUT. It has been told to me (in the thread I made at the time) that a Glock 44 is "the same size as a Glock 19" and suggested was made as a "Range plinker." I was of the belief that many carried a Glock 42 or 43 by choice... I know these are all different guns.. I am not a Glock/firearms pro.. big shout-out to my instructor to help me un-learn "Everything you see in the movies" although he says he was really impressed by what I knew and that I wanted to learn and that I asked a lot of questions. I'm "Right Eye Dominant," most are but not everyone..... I want to go back there when things pick up........

Now @UncleDave as someone just following this thread, it SEEMS like people are saying that your experience with Glocks is "down to the common denominator of the ammo" and that this continued when you shot it yourself... I am reminded of another thread where someone posted "No more SIG pistols for me" and I think it is @Astro14 speaks very highly of those as well.. so let me ask a different angle (I'm remembering my two hours at the range now. Oh how I loved it so,) what are some factors that could contribute to you having such a bad experience while many others cite limpwristing (my instructor showed me this in great detail, mostly by enacting it with the prop gun, NEVER FLAG ANYONE I learned a lot,) and some others cite ammo? Could it be actually possible that you received two poorly assembled units in succession? Could they have been totally un-maintained before you shooting them? Could it have been to Monday Specials (the "poorly assembled units?") Was the technique of the young gal one that would lean to Limpwristing? What gun did she end up shooting? Just questions. I want to understand!

20230807_081950.jpg
20230807_081955.jpg
20230807_081959.jpg

Well, if you’re asking about Sig-Sauer reliability, I’ve got two (a .45ACP P227 and a 9mm P365) and they’ve been flawless.

I qualified with, multiple times, and carried, the M11 service pistol, which is a Sig P228, and the Navy guns were flawless.

Sig pistols, in my experience, are also quite accurate. They’re not cheap, and some folks have had problems with the P320, but in my experience, Sig builds a great gun.

Well, if you’re asking about Sig-Sauer reliability, I’ve got two (a .45ACP P227 and a 9mm P365) and they’ve been flawless.

I qualified with, multiple times, and carried, the M11 service pistol, which is a Sig P228, and the Navy guns were flawless.

Sig pistols, in my experience, are also quite accurate. They’re not cheap, and some folks have had problems with the P320, but in my experience, Sig builds a great gun.
I’ve owned two Sig-Sauer pistols. Currently a 1911 (.45 ACP) and formerly, a P239. Mine have also been flawless and my 1911 is my favorite of all 1911 models I’ve ever owned regardless of manufacturer. Including a Gold Cup.

And OK yeah that was a .22 BUT. It has been told to me (in the thread I made at the time) that a Glock 44 is "the same size as a Glock 19" and suggested was made as a "Range plinker." I was of the belief that many carried a Glock 42 or 43 by choice... I know these are all different guns..
Yes, Glock offers lots of different pistols in lots of different calibers, but they all look like a Glock which some folks don't like.

The compact G44 is a nice size for plinking with 22lr and learning handgun basics, exactly what you're doing. You could shoot it all day and enjoy it. On the other hand, a subcompact single-stack G42 in .380 or a G43 in 9mm would get a bit tiresome to shoot at the range since their size is intended far more for concealment rather than shooting comfort.

I can't imagine how unpleasant it is to shoot something like a G29 which is a subcompact 10mm. You certainly would not want to take that to the range just to shoot for fun. Your hands and wrists would hate you.

Back