My three jams, OK four

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took up hand gunning in earnest at the start of the year. I would say it's a safe bet that they know me well at the range. I sometimes hit the range three times a week. Not sure how many thousands of rounds I've shot, but it's a lot. Friday I was there near four hours. I have purchased 8 hand guns in three months, so that might qualify me for something, since I started with zero.

Anyway after the "be safe" thread the other day, I thought I would start a new personal experience thread, describing my jammed moments. I would say each one put me on alert....and thinking immediately of safety and who can help. Since they were all at the range and I don't want to repeat myself - the muzzle was ALWAYS kept pointed down range. In none of the cases was the firing pin activated nor the primer struck. So I was extracting rounds as purchased.

1) Sig P225. 1993 German/Austria police factory refurb. Failure to feed. Round came up back end first more or less. Easy as pie to clear. Lock slide back round lifted right out. Caused by a 1983 magazine that is simply worn out. Interestingly I have two ProMags that never balked or jammed.

2) Sig 1911 Target Model. Failure to feed, 45ACP round would not enter the chamber. Tough to clear. Did not disassemble the gun, round was caught and magazine would not drop at first. Eventually magazine dropped, round fell gently out on shooting bench. Cause: A single Federal AE round FMJ would not feed. The bullet itself is not properly crimped or something, I haven't measured anything, but it's like the brass is too thick and step is huge easily felt and seen compared to other rounds.

3) Sig P229 357 Sig. Failure to feed, 357 Sig round would not enter the chamber fully. VERY Tough to clear. Had to disassemble the gun at the shooting bench, round was caught weirdly in chamber with all sorts of white chunks of "stuff" around the chamber and probably excessive lubricant outside the chamber, the firing pin side and in the receiver. When I had the barrel safely free, the round came out. This may have been a case of excessive lubricant (operator error) combined with a strange white powder residue from the previous rounds. I wiped the barrel down, inspected everything very well and the gun fired another 100 rounds with no issues. When I cleaned the gun yesterday, the white chunks did not dissolve at all, but did physically brush wipe out.

4) Ruger 22/45. Failure to feed multiple times. A couple were tough to unjam, but not so bad. Completely operator error. I failed to snap the mags fully in and see or hear the audible "click". Since I lock in the mags, never an issue.

Anyway, be safe. Muzzle always downrange ONLY.

Most of the near-NDs (negligent discharge) I've seen were during gun malfunctions. I think it's mainly from frustration like when a kid's toy that won't quite assemble as it's supposed to and you start flailing and break something. I do know of times when, after some time had passed, people got careless as if they forgot what kind of device they were working on. I don't know if this came from relaxing because they assume the gun is inoperative or what.

I know that when I SO (safety officer) in IDPA, I almost instantaneously tense up when a malfunction occurs. I pray the shooter does a quick tap/rack clearance attempt and if that fails after one or two tries, they stop. If the "school solution" fails and the struggle continues, it can get bad. With the pressure of being on the clock and everyone watching (and me hovering) judgment slips.
If they don't get it cleared quickly, I'll stop them and tell them they can shoot again if they can get it cleared in the Safe Area. That is not how the rules go (if the gun fails, you fail) but since it gets them to stop struggling with a loaded gun, I don't really care.

What I'm getting to is:
If I can't get a malfunction cleared in a couple of quick tries, using any of the three or four semi-standard clearance methods, it's time to step back.
Step back and cool down, think about what the problem is, then try again. Work in short intervals.

A big problem is what to do if you can't clear it. The obvious answer is "Take it to a gunsmith". OK, but what about between now and then? During that time, you have a loaded gun to deal with. There may not be a round in the chamber, but if it's anywhere inside the gun, there is a potential problem. As much as we say we won't, we could forget momentarily. We could even get home, put our gear away, and not get back to it for a week or more. All it takes is coming home to find one of life's everyday surprises like a sick family member, smoke coming from the oven, or finding a house door ajar to make you forget.

I try to keep tape of some sort in my gear, and I always have something to write with. My suggestion is to wrap tape around the grip and write "LOADED GUN" on it.
Besides obviously marking the gun which helps you and maybe others, you are doing something you don't ordinarily do. That act might stick in your mind. I clear malfunctions on a fairly regular basis, even if they are mostly set-up with dummy rounds, so having to clear a gun won't stick in my memory any more than loading the gun. But it's pretty rare for me to wrap tape around one and write on it.

P.S.
By the way, if it doesn't require a gunsmith or a really big hammer and screwdriver (misused as a prybar) it isn't a "jam". It's a malfunction.
And unlike I have read in some circles, it sure isn't a "jamb", which is part of a doorway.
Courtesy of BBGGTT (Barry's Big Glossary of Gun Talk Terms)

It is good practice to learn how to clear failure to feeds or eject " even jambs ". I find lube is a good thing. I could say a revolver doesn't jamb but I have had a revolver lock up so stuff happens. Today I put 250 rounds of 45 acp 200 Gn. lead SWC 5 gn Bullseye I reloaded in 2009 Through the 1973 Gold Cup with out a hickup.

When I first got my USP, it jammed 3 or 4 times in the first 500 rounds I put down it. The "too much brass" FTE. Extractor was hopping off the rim leaving brass in the chamber. I popped the pin for the extractor and found so much carbon built up it was no wonder. Cleaned it out and hasnt done that since.
It also would fail to lock back after the final round. Found one of the mags had a rusty spring. I replaced 3 out of 4 with new Wolff +10% springs and put the best spring in the other one.
I also had another FTE a couple weeks ago. Stovepipe due to a squib round. Instead of a *POP* I got a Pffft. I pulled the mag and locked it back. I could see light through the barrel so I reloaded and continued.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
... I could say a revolver doesn't jamb but I have had a revolver lock up so stuff happens.

Sheesh.
I had an RG .38 Special. Put +P rounds through it all the time. (I know, I know better now) Never misfired, jammed, or locked.
I would still have it if it wasn't for a certain brother in law

Several of my autos will jam if the shooter is of the fairer sex and limp wristing it.
It usually only happens after they've been shooting for a while, though, and they start to fatigue.

I practice with snap caps randomly loaded into mags by my partner or another shooter. I have no idea when,where or if there will be an issue.
In the worst case I would wait 30 sec or so in case of a squibb,safely clear the firearm, re holster it, and draw a backup.

Luckily using the quality of the ammo (Issued gold dot for duty, and sidearm practice) I use and reload, I am yet to have a squibb. ( I prefer CCI's )

Shoot safely!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back