Taught some friends to shoot.

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
Teaching a younger couple (pictured) how to shoot.

I continue to be wholly unimpressed with Glocks. I experienced 2 brand new 9's out of the box.

One never made it through more than 3 without some kind of jam, and the other stove piped once every 2 mags.
The little gal could barely rack the slide and clearing a jam was very difficult and therefore dangerous for her.

If I hadn't brought my ancient Mark 3 and SP 101 we wouldn't have gotten many rounds downrange.

My buddy claimed at the end of two hours - well, at least I know how to clear jams.

Our young friends showed up with all new everything guns matching active hearing protection...and the performance you'd expect from novices, but they had no egos and are willing to put in the time.

It's fun watching people improve in real time - The little gal was putting 10 in a 5 inch group at 15 feet then 20 then about 25.

IMG_4625.jpeg
IMG_4626.jpeg

This sounds like it may have been more of a "limp wrist" issue. Though NOT my favorite gun, many Glock owners swear by them.
As far as the slide effort goes, they may want to look into the Smith and Wesson autos, much better design for new/female shooters.

Be sure to explain "slide bite" to them, it usually follows a weak grip strength.
We talked about that - the glock 9s dovetail would make that pretty unlikely - but something like my walther PPK was just awful.

...all new non reloads, 2 diff manufacturers, round nose, fully jacketed - same.

The guy at the gun shop that pushed this talked about some cera- coat (sp?) nonsense and breaking them in -
Funny he never mentioned "break in" when he sold them.

Glocks. I experienced 2 brand new 9's out of the box.

One never made it through more than 3 without some kind of jam, and the other stove piped once every 2 mags.
Two brand new guns (no matter the brand) and issues like that ? What's the actual common denominator here ? Ammo....

Interesting. I’ve owned and carried various Glock models and calibers since the 80’s and only experienced issues twice with the same weapon when I tried firing 9mm Blazer aluminum. Aside from that, never an issue up to an including a Gen 5.

BTW - Good for you on teaching others.

This sounds like it may have been more of a "limp wrist" issue. Though NOT my favorite gun, many Glock owners swear by them.
As far as the slide effort goes, they may want to look into the Smith and Wesson autos, much better design for new/female shooters.
M&P 9 Shield Plus is a very solid choice, but I never really see many issues with Glocks.

Two brand new guns (no matter the brand) and issues like that ? What's the actual common denominator here ? Ammo....
fed it two brands, both new, slightly different weight - same result.

I’ve taught quite a few folks to shoot. Thank you for sharing the sport with others.

Never a single malfunction with a Glock. In fact, several thousand rounds through my 19, zero jams or issues. They’re among the most reliable guns made. My G20 has a few thousand rounds through it, not one malfunction.

The only Glock malfunctions I’ve ever seen were from a weak grip on a G42. Worked great when I shot, jammed when my female neighbor shot it.

As a factory certified Glock armorer for my entire 25 years in LEO for my agency, I can say that the VAST majority of shooting problems are the operator, then followed by ammo. Can't tell you (I've lost track) of how many Glocks are brought to me for FTE/stovepipe issues, and not once has there been a true mechanical issue. And to have two Glocks be "bad" when new out of the box with the same user? ....

Interesting. I’ve owned and carried various Glock models and calibers since the 80’s and only experienced issues twice with the same weapon when I tried firing 9mm Blazer aluminum. Aside from that, never an issue up to an including a Gen 5.

I had two and they were ok, no better or worse than any other semi.

Manufacturing changes and people, and things change all the time.

As a factory certified Glock armorer for my entire 25 years in LEO for my agency, I can say that the VAST majority of shooting problems are the operator, then followed by ammo. Can't tell you (I've lost track) of how many Glocks are brought to me for FTE/stovepipe issues, and not once has there been a true mechanical issue. And to have two Glocks be "bad" when new out of the box with the same user? ....

4 users - two new, one 15 years experience, me about 50 years.

MK III balked at a one nasty looking 22 out of a federal value pack out of about 500.

I had two and they were ok, no better or worse than any other semi.

Manufacturing changes and people, and things change all the time.
I was just issued a G19 gen 5. Six of us in training.

Took them out of the box, no lube, no prep, just loaded them and fired several hundred rounds. Each.

Flawless. All six.

I prefer the H&K that the Glock replaced but Glock makes a reliable gun.

Two unreliable Glocks? There is something else going on besides the gun.

I’ve taught quite a few folks to shoot. Thank you for sharing the sport with others.

Never a single malfunction with a Glock. In fact, several thousand rounds through my 19, zero jams or issues. They’re among the most reliable guns made. My G20 has a few thousand rounds through it, not one malfunction.

The only Glock malfunctions I’ve ever seen were from a weak grip on a G42. Worked great when I shot, jammed when my female neighbor shot it.

I will pay for ammo and range time personally for anyone on this forum that wants to learn how to shoot.
I firmly believe we need to actively keep the sport moving forward and with safety as a core.
I spend about an hour per weapon type in education and bench learning before we go to a range.

I hear this all the time, and believe you.

Ive had guns that were perfect for me but others terrible.

I've owned 5 Glocks , still have 2 . I don't remember any malfunctions except for when my niece fired my G19 . Repeated jams . I took the gun and ripped off a full mag without an issue . Anything is possible , but I'm skeptical .

My glock 30 (45acp) and my glock 9mm love the Blazer auminum. Was 2 bucks a box cheaper so luckily I stocked up.

Back