Shooting some more hard drives

I had a talk with the head of cyer crime division in antwerp 2 decades ago. If they needed to, they would look at the pieces under a microscope and decipher 1s and 0s from the orientation of the particles...

20 years ago means metal platters, so the sequence of 1's and 0's would have been maintained due to the physical media being intact. When the physical media amounts to a cup of sand, you have no idea as to the sequence of any of those bits. Glass platters have complicated data recovery.

Here are a couple I took out with a Ruger 77 in .30-06.

mQhI73T.jpg

glkiOPj.jpg

Ao2FrGg.jpg

1RgsVjZ.jpg

Purifying them with fire after shooting seems like a good idea to me. I have to protect client data, so I take destroying old hard drives pretty seriously.

Purifying them with fire after shooting seems like a good idea to me. I have to protect client data, so I take destroying old hard drives pretty seriously.

Depends on what is/was on them as to what I do. If it's an old desktop drive from a gaming rig or something, it may just get shot. If it had PHI on it, and it's a metal plate drive, it will be further destroyed (fire pit most likely). If it's a glass platter drive, I typically just stop at the drive contents being part of the field. Note that these drives (any with PHI or other sensitive data) are already DOD wiped before being shot.

One program at my job would grind the whole HD up into pieces about the size of sand. Paper was ground into what looked like flour. They didn't mess around.

I have an aquaintence who worked on portions the AWACS design. If the crew had to ditch the aircraft there was a lever they could pull that would drive a steel claw ala Freddy Krueger into the platters of the hard drive. All the media would shred off the disk platters in a cloud of rust.

Back