M1 0w40/5w30EP Mix, 5k, 07 Nissan Frontier VQ40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This report is from my 07 Nissan Frontier VQ40 motor. This report is from the 5k run between 75k and 80k. It was analyzed thru WIX.

This was a mixture of 2qts M1 0w40, 3qts M1 5w30EP and 0.5qts M1 5w30 T/SUV. There were no top-offs during this run (or any previously). Filter used was a P1.

Code:

OIL 2qt M1 0w40, 3qt M1 5w30EP, 0.5qt M1 5w30 T/SUV

MILES IN USE 5.0k

MILES 80k

SAMPLE TAKEN 16-OCT-12

SAMPLE TESTED 06-DEC-12

ALUMINUM 8

CHROMIUM
IRON 11

COPPER 3

LEAD 3

TIN
MOLYBDENUM 97

NICKEL
MANGANESE N/A

SILVER
TITANIUM
POTASSIUM
BORON 88

SILICON 23

SODIUM 2

CALCIUM 2361

MAGNESIUM 256

PHOSPHORUS 828

ZINC 938

BARIUM

Coolant No

INSOLUBLES N/A

WATER
FLASHPOINT ºF N/A

SUS VIS 210ºF N/A

cSt @ 212ºF 11.4

TBN 5.6

Diagnosis per WIX:
All wear levels appear within acceptable limits for first sample. Silicon level (dirt/sealant material) satisfactory. Water content acceptable. Customer note: 2qts 0w40, 3qts 5w30EP, 1/2qt 5w30 T/SUV. Based on mix of oil grades, Viscosity appears within acceptable range.

This is my first UOA on motor oil so I was looking for the groups opinions. I know the silicon is high and I need to clean my CAI filter and add a pre-filter. With the TBN being at 5.6 after 5k, does it seem reasonable to simply do a filter change at 5k and top off with 0w40 (to keep the TBN and vis high) and run it another 5k for a 10k total run? Unsure if I should re-sample at 7.5k total to see if 10k is good or if I should run it to 10k without the stop at 7.5k.

-Michael

Looks good aluminum seems a bit high but your blend looks very, very strong. I like it! I agree with tig with a tbn of over 5 at 5k this is a 10k brew without question, probably more but then you're back into UOA territory again.

If you want to figure out the best OCI and oil for your engine using UOA don't mix 3 oils because you are making it difficult to analyse the results. For example is the Silicon from an additive in one of the three oils? I don't think so, but I can't find a VOA for the EP one. The Aluminium is a bit high BUT if WIX can't give you universal averages I would try Blackstones who can in most cases.
If you are not subject to severe service issues 10K for an OCI might be OK as Al in the oil will not cause much increased wear, BUT sort out the air filter system issue before extending the OCI as Si is real bad news.

I thought you said in another thread that all major brand oils were the same, and in this case he used the same brand and within that brand the same synthetic family (M1)

Thanks for the responses.

I am gong to focus on the silicon. I figure it is simply my filter that defiantly need cleaning.

Fr the 'brew', I only used the T/SUV to use it up. The current brew is 2qt 0w40 and 3.5qt 5w30EP.

I am going to run it for 10k due to the nice numbers. I will thou take the time and change the filter at 5k due to my OCD nature, plus it gives me time to check over everything else while nder the truck.

I have to run the numbers again to see what the vis was at the beginning but it appears to be holding well especially since the 0w40 bumps it up and the EP has a nice HTHS.

Originally Posted By: FoxS
I thought you said in another thread that all major brand oils were the same, and in this case he used the same brand and within that brand the same synthetic family (M1)

They are very similar in performance terms, but the exact add pack contents does vary and if you mix them it makes interpreting the UOA results more difficult.
If you cross thread it gets confusing because you are reading a post out of context and it is only oils of a similar type that are comparably between different oil companies. So if you look at a DPF approved HC synthetic for Castrol and then look at the same type of oil from Mobil or Shell, they are very similar and it will make no real difference to your engine which one you use.

Originally Posted By: dubie2003
Thanks for the responses.

I am gong to focus on the silicon. I figure it is simply my filter that defiantly need cleaning.

Fr the 'brew', I only used the T/SUV to use it up. The current brew is 2qt 0w40 and 3.5qt 5w30EP.

I am going to run it for 10k due to the nice numbers. I will thou take the time and change the filter at 5k due to my OCD nature, plus it gives me time to check over everything else while nder the truck.

I have to run the numbers again to see what the vis was at the beginning but it appears to be holding well especially since the 0w40 bumps it up and the EP has a nice HTHS.

If you are checking the air filtration system, make sure the actual housing is clean if you change the filter so it seats correctly and take a good look at the hoses involved.
Dirty filters are more efficient than clean ones unless they fall apart or don't seal around the edges correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back