2011 BMW 335xi 7181mi Edge 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
BMW LL01 is a long life oil. And Mobil1FS 0w-40 does not hold up in a bmw engine for 30k km.
If you look at m1 fs 0w-40 uoas it cant be far from the truth.

That's a steaming load of bovine excrement. It carries numerous long drain approvals from other marques; the same approvals its predecessor carried. For example, MB 229.3:
Originally Posted by Mercedes
MB sheet 229.3 approved oils
for passenger cars with gas and diesel engines with extended drain interval indicator FSS up to 20,000 km, or 40,000 km - 25,000 mi,

And 229.5:
MB sheet 229.5 approved oils; "MB Longlife Service Oils"
for passenger cars with gas and diesel engines with extended drain intervals beyond 229.3 oils, to 30,000 km, min 1.8% fuel saving, first oils introduced summer 2002. ACEA A3 B4. For gas engines of the M100 series, gas engines of the M200 series and diesel engines of the OM600 series (not models with Euro 4 diesel particle filters).
229.5 engine oils must be used with fleece oil filter designed for use with 229.5 engine oils.

Yees in MB engine. Did talk about BMW engine. How long oci interval do MB have in Canada?

There's an argument that M1 has for marketing reasons opted not to market their M1 FS 0w40 as LL01. There really is limited demand for this spec since LL04 has replaced LL01 in much of Western Europe and never mind all the new BMW "FE" certs which have come about within the last couple of years.

In the US, BMW moved away from LL01 altogether.

Based on those UOAs I'd stick to annual OCIs as long as annual mileage is under 10k miles.

Yes the LL04 is more common in western eu. But the east still needs the LL01. And mobil super 5w-40 have the bmw LL01. Think the fs 0w-40 does not pass it even if they want to pay for the LL01.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
BMW LL01 is a long life oil. And Mobil1FS 0w-40 does not hold up in a bmw engine for 30k km.

That's a steaming load of bovine excrement. It carries numerous long drain approvals from other marques; the same approvals its predecessor carried. For example, MB 229.3:
MB sheet 229.3 approved oils
for passenger cars with gas and diesel engines with extended drain interval indicator FSS up to 20,000 km, or 40,000 km - 25,000 mi,

And 229.5:
MB sheet 229.5 approved oils; "MB Longlife Service Oils"
for passenger cars with gas and diesel engines with extended drain intervals beyond 229.3 oils, to 30,000 km, min 1.8% fuel saving, first oils introduced summer 2002. ACEA A3 B4. For gas engines of the M100 series, gas engines of the M200 series and diesel engines of the OM600 series (not models with Euro 4 diesel particle filters).
229.5 engine oils must be used with fleece oil filter designed for use with 229.5 engine oils.

Yees in MB engine. Did talk about BMW engine. How long oci interval do MB have in Canada?

There's an argument that M1 has for marketing reasons opted not to market their M1 FS 0w40 as LL01. There really is limited demand for this spec since LL04 has replaced LL01 in much of Western Europe and never mind all the new BMW "FE" certs which have come about within the last couple of years.

Mobil1 5W30 ESP, new GTL version is not LL04 approved. I think there is something more deeper going on.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Actually it is very far from the truth. M-1 is the standard. I am not a fanboy of M-1 but it's the truth.

Why is M1 standard? I seriously cannot see it as being any better than Castrol or Pennzoil, and these GTL versions definiately look watered down.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by dave1251

Actually it is very far from the truth. M-1 is the standard. I am not a fanboy of M-1 but it's the truth.

Why is M1 standard? I seriously cannot see it as being any better than Castrol or Pennzoil, and these GTL versions definiately look watered down.

And loosing approvals with the gtl versions

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by bmwturbodzl

Mobil1 5W30 ESP, new GTL version is not LL04 approved. I think there is something more deeper going on.

Well I would argue that in the US there's limited demand for LL04 being that BMW has moved to various FE (LL12FE, LL14FE, LL01FE) certs over the past 3-4 yrs and diesel sales werre ridiculously low.

BMW is discontinuing diesel sales in the US anyways.

The juice ain't worth the squeeze

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back