lug nuts corroded between nut and wheel (‘17 Tacoma)

Looks like a reaction between the steel nuts and the alloy wheels? I would clean them off with steel wool and apply a thin layer of grease to that surface only, where the lug contacts the inside of the hole. This should keep the surface from corroding and not affect torqueing of the nuts. Hope this helps you.
I agree. As long as the anti seize is kept off the threads and flat washers and any flat mating surfaces it will not affect torque values.

Metal free marine anti seize would be a good product for this application.

LOCTITE® LB 8023 is a black, metal-free, brush top lubricant and anti-seize made from graphite, calcium, boron nitride and rust inhibitors. ABS approved, it protects assemblies from fresh and salt water. It works especially well in high humidity conditions. It has excellent lubricity , superior water wash-out spray resistance and prevents galvanic corrosion. High temperature resistance to 1,315°C.

17 Tacoma sat garaged for a year, so probably 14 months since wheels last came off… significant white crusty corrosion, mainly where the lug nut passes Thru the alloy wheel. Washer was fair. “Cone” was fine.

For many years I applied various amounts of anti-seize, but later learned this was no good as it effected the torque value (after sheering of a few on an old car of ours). So now what do I do? I try to wax the wheels 1x/yr. I used Fluid Film and most of the corrosion rubbed off. I want to use RIG (anti corrosion grease for guns) on the wheel, but fearful of messing up torque values.
View attachment 129483
My Tundra does the same thing .not thrilled

I’ve been applying some type of lubricant to lug nuts/bolts for like 20 years now. They come off like brand new, the threads look brand new, basically zero issues.

I remember when I got my first brand new car and thought. “I’m going to do everything by the book”. Well, after first Canadian winter, they screeched like mad when I was taking them off and to my utter surprise were corroded after only one winter. That was the end of that experiment and I went back to what works not what the book says.

It really doesn’t have to be anything special, a bit of motor oil will do the trick and prevent corrosion. Antiseize will simply last longer in that environment.

As far as torque goes, lower it by 20%. Most lug nuts call for around 100ft-lb so go with 80ft-lb.

So it’s really up to you. Some of us like to deny their reality and experience and struggle needlessly just because some authority says so, and some of us see that the recommendations don’t work in our particular case and seek improvement.

Since you started this thread, I believe you acknowledge that there is a problem with manufacturers recommendation in this particular case, the question is, are you brave enough to disobey?

Last edited:
Back