LUBEGARD BIO-TECH Engine Oil Protectant

Status
Not open for further replies.

FMC

I did do a search and found a few threads on it, I have read the product info, but what exactly is it ?

What anti wear additives are in it ?

Is there a benifit to it being added to a quality synthetic oil ?

Thanks

It is made up of Esters and Soluble Moly. Some people believe in additives some don't, so any answers you get regarding that will be a mixed bag.

FWIW, additives are formulated/mixed for each oil that is packaged and sold to the vast majority of BITOG'ers and people globally. While some additives may provide little or no real benefit, sold and bottled separately, some cars benefit from certain additives(see cars calling for zddp) the key in adding a particular additive after mixing it into any oil you are using, is to make sure it's not something that will hurt your engine first of all. Also...

Some additives may reduce an extended OCI simply because the formulation is being altered...but on the other hand to act as though the oil put into engines these days would have their 'sanctity' and 'virgin' qualities encroached on by introducing additional additives are sorta just airing on the side of caution(IMO), you wouldn't want to just start throwing several additives on top of your oil fill.

Try experimenting with one if you do and only do one at a time. LubeGard I've heard good things about and will be trying during my next OCI on my Civic. I added LubroMoly MoS2 to the Stratus.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Amsoil has a test on the tranny additives and really Poo poos them.

Yet many transmission shops add them to cars. LG tranny additives are very highly regarded as being very effective by many knowledgeable people. I'm not surprised a company that sells tranny fluid would "Poo poo" on them.

I have ZERO knowledge of their engine oil additive.

Their ATF additives are a good product in general. Maybe not a miracle product, but I have used them with zero issues.

Show me any ATF formulator who recommends such additives and I will be surprised.

Originally Posted By: Trav
GM had no problem recommending it when the Saab had issues.
I use it in every tranny i service regardless of fluid make.
BTW i do use Amsoil ATF,both products are top shelf.

http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/OEMsuseLubegard.pdf

Tranny shops recommend the tranny add all the time, some even have literature about it. No oil company recommends any kind of additives, they cut into oil sales. If tranny shops are recommending it, and GM recommends it for problems it must be good. We did drift a bit OT though. LOL JMO

Wasn't there a longer, more detailed thread on Lubeguard BioTech recently?

EDIT: found it:
smile.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2093090&page=1

Last edited:
I can see your point.How could an oil company recommend any additive?
They would need to test every additive,weed out the good from the bad the beneficial from the snake oil and certify it for use with their formula.There is just no motivation or reason for anyone to do this.

All additives i believe are a "use at your own risk" product.

Trav additives take the place of oil, some a qt, others a pint. So in some cases that could be 20% by volume. That equals the oil company selling 20% less oil, to that customer, it adds up. Some additives are total garbage, others have some value.

You said all additives are: "use at your own risk" products. That is very true!

I also believe that all is formulated with profit being first and foremost. All oils can be made better if the oil companies wanted to make them better, the problem is cost.

When someone like yourself says an additive worked, or didn't work I take notice!

Demarpaint, I see you have in your E-150 with Edge 5W30, have you been using this product for a long time ? Have you noticed any benifits ?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Trav additives take the place of oil, some a qt, others a pint. So in some cases that could be 20% by volume. That equals the oil company selling 20% less oil, to that customer, it adds up. Some additives are total garbage, others have some value.

You said all additives are: "use at your own risk" products. That is very true!

I also believe that all is formulated with profit being first and foremost. All oils can be made better if the oil companies wanted to make them better, the problem is cost.

When someone like yourself says an additive worked, or didn't work I take notice!

Agree completely. Great post.

Thats very true Frank.
Don't misunderstand me i am not knocking additives just saying the oil companies have no motivation to test them or recommend them.
I believe most OTC additives are relatively safe (the effectiveness of some is another story) if they are sold for use in the oil and used as directed but lord knows what some folks put in their oil,kerosene,tranny fluid,moly powder,teflon,ceramic liquids and powders the list is endless.

My point is IF the oil company/blender were to approve any additive they would have to specify which ones will not harm or disturb the blend and that would just be cost prohibitive.
I'm sure they can make a better oil,they do it all the time but say they approved additive A and B but not C and D there would be law suits all over the place.
Probably better not to let the camel get its nose under the tent in this case.

I agree with you Trav, in fact 100%. I like to put a different spin on things that's all! The bottom line is this, there is no profit for an oil company recommending any additives for the reasons you stated. Also keep in mind each oil company wants the consumer to think that they bought the very best oil, and if an oil company sold an oil additive to make oil "better" the company wouldn't be so smart would they? I mean if I added Pennzoil's additive to Super Tech then Super Tech oil would be as good as Pennzoil? OUCH that would hurt Pennzoil big time. LOLOLOLOLOL Also additives attack an oil companies bottom line, some in the tune of 20% per customer that uses an additive in place of their oil.

I purchased the Lubegard from NAPA, and will add it at my oil change this week, will be using Penzoil Ultra, lets hope for the best !

I will monitor for increased MPG and overall engine smoothness, keeping the "power of suggestion" in mind.

I'd really be more curious to see it's use on an oil that isn't typically recommended for extended service. It'd be interesting to see, for example, a 7.5k mile run with PU and LG, compared to without the LG added(same oil filter, temp and driving style/conditions taken into consideration)...

I'm probably going to use it for the next OCI on my Civic. Yes, I am using Amsoil SSO and, yes, it's probably overkill, BUT I don't see how it would REDUCE the lifespan of the Amsoil if I'm using such a small amount of the LG on top of the fill of Amsoil. I'm adding less than a pint of the LG product on top of 3 1/2 Quarts at fill of fresh oil(3 oz per Quart in capacity). I will be getting UOA each time, for the record.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I'd really be more curious to see it's use on an oil that isn't typically recommended for extended service. It'd be interesting to see, for example, a 7.5k mile run with PU and LG, compared to without the LG added(same oil filter, temp and driving style/conditions taken into consideration)...

I'm probably going to use it for the next OCI on my Civic. Yes, I am using Amsoil SSO and, yes, it's probably overkill, BUT I don't see how it would REDUCE the lifespan of the Amsoil if I'm using such a small amount of the LG on top of the fill of Amsoil. I'm adding less than a pint of the LG product on top of 3 1/2 Quarts at fill of fresh oil(3 oz per Quart in capacity). I will be getting UOA each time, for the record.

I'm interested in your observations and seeing your UOA report!

Originally Posted By: FMC
Demarpaint, I see you have in your E-150 with Edge 5W30, have you been using this product for a long time ? Have you noticed any benifits ?

FMC, I know you directed this at Demarpaint, but I'll share too. I ran this product with Formula Shell for a 4,500 mile run in the Corolla. No oil I've used has been "noisy" in this car. I will say the Shell/LG combo was very smooth and quiet though. Most importantly, I noticed a 4.5% fuel economy increase over using Schaeffers 9000 5w30(which had the best FE before this run).

Also, completely anecdotal, but I noticed after 4500 miles, the oil was a medium amber color. Usually after 4500 miles, the oil is getting quite dark. I also took into account that MMO may have just cleaned the engine well. However, the car has only seen Blends, Syns, and two dino runs and of course the MMO for a total of 4,000 miles since 26,000 on the ODO.

Just my two cents. Biotech, LG engine flush and MMO are the only additives(engine) that I use now and I've tried a bunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back